PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Z-Vanish Feat (PEACH)

Protato
2018-02-16, 01:46 AM
Inspired by the teleportation in Dragon Ball Xenoverse, I was wondering if I could give this ability to a Monk as a subclass feature, before deciding it could possibly work better as a Feat. Without further ado, the description of the Feat is listed below.

You have gained the ability to transpose yourself across space and time. You gain the ability to move up to your movement speed as a reaction to incoming attacks, to move away from an enemy without provoking an Attack of Opportunity, and out of the range of attacks or traps needing a Dex saving throw to hit you (i.e a Dragon's Breath Weapon). This ability may be used once per long rest, or three Ki Points if the character taking this feat has the ability to use them.

Lalliman
2018-02-16, 04:40 AM
Woof, this is a hard one. It looks fine and usable, but I would've done it differently.

For one, this version is both very powerful and very expensive. You can basically avoid one attack or spell guaranteed, but only once per day, unless you're willing to eat into your valuable Ki points big time. I would personally prefer to make it weaker but usable more often, so you can feel like Goku more than once per day.

Secondly, it's a bit strange in that it's much better for monks than for anyone else, making it basically a trap option for them. I would personally prefer making it monk-only over introducing trap options into the game.

As such, I would suggest the following as an alternative:

Z-Vanish
Prerequisite: Must be at least a 2nd level monk.
You have gained the ability to transpose yourself across space and time, gaining the following benefits.
- You can spend 1 Ki to cast Misty Step.
- When you are targeted by an attack, you can spend 1 Ki to cast Misty Step as a reaction. The attack against you still completes, but the attacker takes disadvantage on their roll.
- When you are targeted by a spell or effect that requires a Dexterity saving throw, you can spend 1 Ki to cast Misty Step as a reaction. The effect still resolves, but if your Misty Step brings you outside the area of effect, you have advantage on the saving throw, and you take no damage on a successful save.

This way the teleport isn't a guaranteed dodge anymore, but you can use it far more often should you wish to. I used Misty Step because it's easier to refer to, and does pretty much what you're looking for. What do you think?