PDA

View Full Version : Optimization So with Troll Blooded...

Trey Bright
2018-02-16, 02:29 AM
Any way to become resistant/immune to fatigue and fire/acid energy? I'll be playing a dwarf btw if that helps. My DM is letting us take 2 feats at level 1 so I'll be grabbing Toughness and Troll Blooded. I'll also either be starting with or looking to obtain Mineral Warrior at some point as well, so would that 8/adimantine protect me from fire and acid? Even if it's magical fire or acid damage?

EndocrineBandit
2018-02-16, 02:33 AM
The damage reduction is only for weapon damage. One would need resistance to acid and fire. Maybe fiendish subtype somehow, or the half fiend template? Instead of a dwarf maybe a tiefling, just play them as a gruff dwarf. The wizards of the coast does a savage progressions for the tiefling into a half fiend. There is also one for the aasimar into a half celestial.

Trey Bright
2018-02-16, 03:07 AM
The damage reduction is only for weapon damage. One would need resistance to acid and fire. Maybe fiendish subtype somehow, or the half fiend template? Instead of a dwarf maybe a tiefling, just play them as a gruff dwarf. The wizards of the coast does a savage progressions for the tiefling into a half fiend. There is also one for the aasimar into a half celestial.

No can do on the tiefling. Need to play a dwarf to get in to deepstone sentinel.

Inevitability
2018-02-16, 03:55 AM
Pay for a casting of Mantle of the Fiery Soul? That gets you fire immunity at least.

Also, the Tireless regional feat makes you immune to fatigue, and as a dwarf you qualify.

Matrota
2018-02-16, 04:12 AM
There's a 7th level druid spell in Sandstorm called Mantle of the Fiery Spirit that permanently gives you the fire subtype, thus making you immune to fire damage. It would cost roughly 16,200 gp to be cast as a spell service due to the material component and xp cost.

The only way I know to get acid immunity permanently would be to become a half-dragon (green or copper). The capstone of Dragon Disciple gives you the half-dragon template, but it's not really a great PrC. Alternatively, you could have a high-level caster use Energy Immunity on you for acid every day. It's a 6th level druid spell, so if your DM permitted you to purchase a custom magic item for 1/day that'd cost 13,200 gp (CL x spell level x 2000, /2 since it's 24 hour duration, /5 since it's 1/day. Take minumum CL for 11*6*2000/2/5=13,200).

I'd say take the tireless regional feat to help with the fatigue, but you can only have 1 regional feat, and yours is troll-blooded. Some ways to remove/overcome fatigue are listed here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=11133837&postcount=16)

If you wanna become immune to nonlethal damage on top of that, the paladin spell Favor of the Martyr makes you immune to nonlethal damage as well as a bunch of other goodies, including immunity to fatigue and exhaustion. Continuous Favor of the Martyr is 56k though, and if you want it available x/day instead of continuous the equation would be 56k / (5 divided by the number of charges per day). At minimum 1/day Favor of the Martyr is 11,200 gp for 7 minutes. Remember, these custom magic items can only be made/purchased if your DM allows. The tables are in the DMG. 7th level Pale Master gains immunity to nonlethal damage as well.

Quertus
2018-02-16, 06:02 AM
On the more affordable side, IIRC Illithid dayware (not it's actual name) apparently runs 50gp, and would protect you from sun poisoning. :smalltongue:

Cursed Day Star! Stop burning my scaly alien skin!

Anthrowhale
2018-02-16, 08:06 AM
A major Djinni bloodline (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm#genieDjinni) grants immunity to acid at level 20 and resistance starting at level 4. The voidmind template also works but that seems difficult to use since step 1 is having your brains scooped out by Illithids.

sleepyphoenixx
2018-02-16, 09:20 AM
Pay for a casting of Mantle of the Fiery Soul? That gets you fire immunity at least.

Also, the Tireless regional feat makes you immune to fatigue, and as a dwarf you qualify.

As a dwarf he doesn't qualify for Troll Blooded though. Also Tireless is a regional feat too and explicitly states that you may only have one regional feat.
Not to mention that Troll Blooded is a Greyhawk feat while Tireless is from PGtF.

emeraldstreak
2018-02-16, 09:26 AM
As a dwarf he doesn't qualify for Troll Blooded though. Also Tireless is a regional feat too and explicitly states that you may only have one regional feat.
Not to mention that Troll Blooded is a Greyhawk feat while Tireless is from PGtF.

Dwarves qualify. (http://www.realmshelps.net/charbuild/feat/Troll_Blooded) You may claim they are rare in these regions (maybe), but this isn't an actual racial restriction.

As for fire/acid resistance, depends how optimized you want the character to be. For instance, Blazing Berserker is ok for low-optimized games. Ranger-made wands of Resist Energy are fine for mid-optimized games. Getting full immunities is for high optimization tables only.

Zaq
2018-02-16, 09:45 AM
If you're cool with resistance instead of immunity, incarnum offers some options. Even a single level in Ironsoul Forgemaster (an excellent PrC for dwarves, by the way) can get you 5×e resistance to the Big Five energy types, including fire and acid, or you can invest in individual soulmelds that will provide more resistance to individual energy types.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2018-02-16, 09:59 AM
The spell Energy Immunity (Cleric/Druid 6, Sorcerer/Wizard 7) in Spell Compendium makes you completely immune to one energy type for 24 hours. If you're not making a spellcaster, pick up Leadership for a Cleric or Druid or Archivist cohort, once you're level 13 they can be level 11 and cast that on you twice each day. If that cohort is an Archivist or dips Prestige Paladin, they can also cast Favor of the Martyr on you at the start of combat, giving you immunity to nonlethal damage and a whole lot of other stuff for a minute per level.

Trey Bright
2018-02-16, 11:18 AM

My DM only really cares that it comes out of an official book or the Dragon magazine. Different books/settings don't matter much to him since he's completely hombrewed up a whole new world with new deities and everything.

Crow_Nightfeath
2018-02-16, 09:48 PM
Only problem with tireless is it is also a 1st level only feat

Edit: also Troll blooded isn't actually a regional feat, it's classified as a general

Yogibear41
2018-02-16, 10:24 PM
Only problem with tireless is it is also a 1st level only feat

Edit: also Troll blooded isn't actually a regional feat, it's classified as a general

The title of the article its in is "regional feats of Oerth"

Crow_Nightfeath
2018-02-16, 10:51 PM
oh.. so it is, I never actually looked at the magazine, I always just looked it up on google. Well that changes a few things.

Well favor of the martyr (4th level paladin spell 1min/level, spell compendium) will grant immunity to non lethal and a slew of things, and the spell Mantle of the fiery spirit (8th level druid spell, sandstorm) grants permanent fire subtype. There's also th acidborn template (+1, dungeonscape) gives immunity to acid. Another template Gheden (+1, dragon magazine #313) half undead, not effected by nonlethal damage, stunning and death from massive damage.

Quertus
2018-02-17, 09:49 AM
Getting full immunities is for high optimization tables only.

Now, I can see immunity to subdual damage being high-op only, but, having run an actual troll, who, despite immunity to fire and acid, was taken into the negatives in the first round of almost every major battle, I can say from experience that just having "doesn't die because of HP damage" isn't terribly OP.