PDA

View Full Version : DM Help How far from Resting place should careful vamipre roam?

Pinjata
2018-02-16, 07:42 AM
Hey guys,

5e vampires have Misty escape trait. If they take too much damage, they turn into a mist and float back to their Resting place to regen. Now, mist has speed of 20 ft, which means 40 ft per round. Also, they must reach their Resting place within two hours or be destroyed. So, I was wondering, how far from his resting place could a vampire roam in order to be safe? If he can travel 40 ft per round = 400 ft per minute = 24000 ft per hour = 48000 ft max.(two hours to reach Resting place).

It looks like a vampire can safely roam in a radius of about seven kilometers around his Resting place in order to always safely return home (chance of sunlight catching him excluded).

Am I correct?

thanks

Callin
2018-02-16, 09:37 AM
I would say average feeding area should around half the distance he can mist and be home safely. 2/3rds is starting to push it and should be an unused section to feed from. Max distance is I messed up how did I get here distance.

Seclora
2018-02-16, 10:45 AM
I would agree, no more than an hour away from its nearest resting place. Anything further risks the chance of its being delayed. Wind kills as many vampires as gravity kills dragons.

However, by cycling grave dirt and setting up multiple resting places, a vampire can easily extend their influence of far more territory, and even have a backup to its lair being attacked. So, have a site about every hour and a half of mist, radiating outward. Then have additional sites along that first radius, an hour and a half away from each other. Then repeat for each of those sites, as needed. Given enough time, prepare dozens of sites to which you can flee, and a dozen more you can flee to from there. Old worn down crypts, secret chambers under statues, a coffin hidden in the wall of a nearby manor, whatever works for you. Then, you build a carriage with a secret compartment you can use as a mobile resting place and assign a spawn or charmed fool to drive around to wherever you're feeding today. Make it subtle enough the average person doesn't notice, but easy enough that adventurers will. Let them think this is your trick to being out this far, never go there.

So in response, a Vampire can roam as far as his wealth[for building hiding places], age[for accumulating viable grave dirt], and creativity[for coming up with plans] will allow him.