PDA

View Full Version : Vampires, shapeshifting and residences

Elurindel
2018-02-16, 01:02 PM
Hey everyone, quick question here, I hope.

If a Vampire turns into a Beast, such as through their abilities, or they're a Druid using Wildshape, does this then allow them to enter residences? What happens when they change back?

nickl_2000
2018-02-16, 01:10 PM
They blow up into a mess of stolen blood and the nearest PC gets all the experience for the "encounter"

I'd rule, the weakness Forbiddance applies while wildshaped and/or in bat form. Talk to you DM

Elurindel
2018-02-16, 01:13 PM
That's the thing, I am the DM.

nickl_2000
2018-02-16, 01:35 PM
That's the thing, I am the DM.

Well then you have control and can make the ruling. When it comes to polymorph and wildshaping almost everything is up for debate. I'm sure you had an immediate reaction like "Of course they can do this" or "No way, that doesn't seem right" go with whichever you had and make it consistant in your world and it will be fine.

My immediate reaction is that they can't do it no matter what. It's a societal choice that vampires aren't allowed to do it (or something like in the Dresden files where if they do it they lose most of their power while there). So, they would still choose not to do it (or they wouldn't want to lose their power to transform and do other things).

Callin
2018-02-16, 03:02 PM
I would rule in the "No" Category as well just on the basic fact that its a Superstition of the Vampire so to say. Just like Garlic would still repel the Vampire in Beast Form and the Cross would make it Fearful. A Flaw should be a Flaw and one of their powers shouldnt allow them to circumvent it. Then its not really a Flaw.

sightlessrealit
2018-02-16, 03:09 PM
I would say yes but would feel very uncomfortable & If they shifted back would start taking Dame as they still weren't invited in properly.

A Fat Dragon
2018-02-16, 03:17 PM
Now I’m curious with an irrelevant question:

I know Vampires by themselves could never make PCs, but how would you make a Vampire PC?

Sunlight sensitivity, Temp Hp on feasting on blood, nourished only on blood, bat form, and DV?

Sorry, I knows it’s irrelevant, but I always love experimenting with monster PCs.

sightlessrealit
2018-02-16, 03:22 PM
Now I’m curious with an irrelevant question:

I know Vampires by themselves could never make PCs, but how would you make a Vampire PC?

Sunlight sensitivity, Temp Hp on feasting on blood, nourished only on blood, bat form, and DV?

Sorry, I knows it’s irrelevant, but I always love experimenting with monster PCs.

I'm playing a PC that was turned by a vampire. From the MM advise he gave me the 18str(which didn't matter cause already had 20 strength), charm abilities create vampire/spawn no legendary resists or actions mist form only on 0 HP, and the summon ability. And if course All the negative traits.

A Fat Dragon
2018-02-16, 03:29 PM
Did you get Feasting or Bat form?

Vaz
2018-02-16, 03:37 PM
The Shapeshift ability of a vampire states that although it takes the form of a Bat, with the exception of specifically stated changes, its statistics remain the same. It does not remove the requirement to be invited anywhere.