PDA

View Full Version : Revivify (the spell)

Yogibear41
2018-02-16, 10:30 PM
Looking for ways to A: increase the amount of time that can happen between casting Revify and a creatures death(doesn't have to be super long just want more than 1 round if able), and B: ways to get it as either a Sorcerer or a Bard spell without using Recaster, Wyrm Wizard, or a Domain based trick.

Deophaun
2018-02-16, 10:44 PM
A: Cast revenance. That gives you 1 round per caster level. The bad news is, the creature dies after 1 minute per caster level. The good news is, that basically resets the timer and lets you cast revivify.

B: Sorcerer's have an odd thing where they only "usually" learn spells of the sorcerer/wizard list. What that exactly means is up to the group, but it does leave open the possibility to learn whatever you want. There are items that will add it to your list, however. Get a cleric to cast revivify into a ring of thaumaturgy. That will give you one casting of the spell as an arcane spell. Now, get a drake helm and an appropriate dragonshard and attune that dragonshard to your arcane version of revivify. Slap the dragonshard into the drake helm, wear the drake helm, and enjoy being able to cast revivify as if it were a spell known.

BowStreetRunner
2018-02-16, 11:46 PM
Revenance + Revivify is a great combo, and the Revenance is already a 5th or 6th level Bard spell* so all you need to do is figure out the Revivify part.

*Edit: per Complete Divine it's Blackguard 4, Cleric 4, Paladin 4, while Spell Compendium adds Bard 6, but Magic of Faerūn lists it as Bard 5.

RFLS
2018-02-16, 11:59 PM
While not great, gentle repose (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/gentleRepose.htm) will increase it, and you can (after 10 levels, and arguably lost caster levels (see txt. vs table + what was clearly intended contention)) use Rainbow Servant to add Revivify to your spell list.

Deophaun
2018-02-17, 12:16 AM
While not great, gentle repose (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/gentleRepose.htm) will increase it
Actually, I think that just promoted gentle repose to an amazing spell if you're Johnny-on-the-spot with it at low levels, as it makes reviving fallen comrades a heck of a lot less expensive. Can even be teamed up with revenance if you aren't.

RFLS
2018-02-17, 12:24 AM
Actually, I think that just promoted gentle repose to an amazing spell if you're Johnny-on-the-spot with it at low levels, as it makes reviving fallen comrades a heck of a lot less expensive. Can even be teamed up with revenance if you aren't.

Pretty much. I've always wondered what the thinking behind that design choice was. The only outcome you have when you add gentle repose to the mix is that now you have to spend an extra third level spell slot to revive at any point (barring not having the body/enough of the body). It's strange.

BowStreetRunner
2018-02-17, 12:24 AM
Do you have access to the Eberron book Five Nations? If so, look at Silver Pyromancer, who can add Paladin spells to the arcane caster spell list.

Vaern
2018-02-17, 12:35 AM
My longest-running character is a bard with leadership and, while I'm not able to cast the spell directly, my cohort is a cleric who can cast it for me. Bard and sorcerer are both charisma-based classes, so using leadership as a way to expand their spell selection through an extra character works well for them.

RFLS
2018-02-17, 12:37 AM
My longest-running character is a bard with leadership and, while I'm not able to cast the spell directly, my cohort is a cleric who can cast it for me. Bard and sorcerer are both charisma-based classes, so using leadership as a way to expand their spell selection through an extra character works well for them.

Bolded the part that most games will have a problem with XD

Quertus
2018-02-17, 12:30 PM

Gentle Repose, Quickened Gentle Repose, and Amulet of Emergency Healing were my heal-bot tricks to turn even a TPK into an "everyone lives" situation in a campaign where the only allowed form of resurrection was Revivify.

Bolded the part that most games will have a problem with XD

But why? It's in core, so it should be available even in a core-only game.

Inevitability
2018-02-17, 12:57 PM
Unguent of Timelessness can be applied to corpses, and causes them to be affected by time at a 365 times slower rate. This means that your casting of Revivify can be more than half an hour 'late' and it'll still work. It's only 150 GP for a bottle that'll cover eight medium-sized corpses.

You do need a way to slather corpses in magic goop during battle, though. My preferred method is a Collar of Perpetual Attendance, perhaps with some kind of LoE-blocking box for the servant to remain in while it's not required (don't want it to have died to random AoEs when you need it).

Eldariel
2018-02-17, 02:01 PM
B: ways to get it as either a Sorcerer or a Bard spell without using Recaster, Wyrm Wizard, or a Domain based trick.

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is Rainbow Servant 10. By text trumps tables it has full casting which makes it alright if not amazing. Extra Spell might or might not work depending on your reading. Most methods outside Recaster and Wyrm Wizard do involve domains, though items are always an option as well.

Jarmen4u
2018-02-17, 02:51 PM
Unguent of Timelessness can be applied to corpses, and causes them to be affected by time at a 365 times slower rate. This means that your casting of Revivify can be more than half an hour 'late' and it'll still work. It's only 150 GP for a bottle that'll cover eight medium-sized corpses.

You do need a way to slather corpses in magic goop during battle, though. My preferred method is a Collar of Perpetual Attendance, perhaps with some kind of LoE-blocking box for the servant to remain in while it's not required (don't want it to have died to random AoEs when you need it).

I feel like if someone is able to apply the Unguent to a corpse, they would also be able to Revivify them.

Deophaun
2018-02-17, 02:52 PM
I feel like if someone is able to apply the Unguent to a corpse, they would also be able to Revivify them.
A first level fighter can apply ungeunt of timelessness to a corpse. He is less competent at casting revivify.

ericgrau
2018-02-17, 03:42 PM
Yeah but the issue with casting revivify in combat is that at -1 HP the enemy might immediately deadify the character again and still possibly have some attacks left.

A bigger issue is that revivify says it catches the soul before it completely leaves. While the unguent may slow down things for the corpse, I don't believe it is applied to the soul.

But why? It's in core, so it should be available even in a core-only game.
Actually even the core books say it is by special DM permission only, which is also why it's in the DMG not the PHB.

Inevitability
2018-02-18, 03:15 AM
A bigger issue is that revivify says it catches the soul before it completely leaves. While the unguent may slow down things for the corpse, I don't believe it is applied to the soul.

Isn't that just part of the spell's fluff text?

ericgrau
2018-02-18, 12:47 PM
Isn't that just part of the spell's fluff text?

Ok, then let's get technical:

However, the spell must be cast within 1 round of the victim's death.

Unguent of timelessness doesn't change the number of rounds it has been since the victim's death.

Deophaun
2018-02-18, 02:17 PM
Ok, then let's get technical
https://i.imgur.com/AuLGwlk.jpg

Kayden Prynn
2018-02-18, 04:10 PM
B: Sorcerer's have an odd thing where they only "usually" learn spells of the sorcerer/wizard list. What that exactly means is up to the group, but it does leave open the possibility to learn whatever you want.

Actually, a thorough reading of this section reveals that it specifies the sorcerer/wizard list from the PHB . The clause is to allow room for Splat/Homebrew spells, not to allow sorcerers any spell they want.

Thurbane
2018-02-18, 04:13 PM
Actually, a thorough reading of this section reveals that it specifies the sorcerer/wizard list from the PHB . The clause is to allow room for Splat/Homebrew spells, not to allow sorcerers any spell they want.

This point has been argued back and forth since the release of the PHB.

There's generally two schools of thought:

1.) The clause is there to allow learning of Sor/Wiz spells from non-core sources (and I believe this is your stance).

2.) The clause means that Sorcerers can literally pick spells from any list they like.

In my experience, option 1 seems to be the more widely held belief.

I think that line was incredibly poorly written, and should have been clarified in the PHB.

Get a cleric to cast revivify into a ring of thaumaturgy. That will give you one casting of the spell as an arcane spell. Now, get a drake helm and an appropriate dragonshard and attune that dragonshard to your arcane version of revivify. Slap the dragonshard into the drake helm, wear the drake helm, and enjoy being able to cast revivify as if it were a spell known.

My Google-fu has failed me: what's the source on a Ring of Thaumaturgy?

Deophaun
2018-02-18, 04:26 PM
My Google-fu has failed me: what's the source on a Ring of Thaumaturgy?
Sorry, going from memory. Ring of theurgy, Complete Arcane.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-02-18, 04:40 PM
Pretty much. I've always wondered what the thinking behind that design choice was. The only outcome you have when you add gentle repose to the mix is that now you have to spend an extra third level spell slot to revive at any point (barring not having the body/enough of the body). It's strange.

Sorc/Wiz 3. It's for when the cleric goes down and they have to cart the body to a temple for ress'ing.