PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing at level 5

Klorox
2018-02-16, 10:50 PM
All official stuff permitted, no UA.

If this is a one shot at level 5, would your best bet for optimization to be single classed, since level 5 is where so many classes get a bump?

coyote_sly
2018-02-16, 11:00 PM
Impossible question to answer. Best at what?

jjadned
2018-02-16, 11:27 PM
Alot of classes normally dont get things for level five outside of maybe another spell level or a extra attack.

bid
2018-02-17, 01:19 AM
Alot of classes normally dont get things for level five outside of maybe another spell level or a extra attack.
You mean, like fireball?
Who needs that!

MxKit
2018-02-17, 02:07 AM
A lot of classes normally dont get things for level five outside of maybe another spell level or a extra attack.

While you're right, strictly speaking, that also means that at level 5, a character's efficacy in battle tends to double—at least.

OP, in most cases, a one-shot at level five is going to be best with a single-classed character, yes. That said, that depends a lot on the type of one-shot it is. You're probably looking at more fight-focused stuff, so any single-classed build would suit you pretty well; which class would be best depends a little on the balance of short and long rests in the one-shot more than anything, imo.

If your one-shot happens to be more social or exploration based than combat based, though, with only a couple of fights in there, you could get away with a multiclass and might even benefit from one. Three levels of Mastermind Rogue or Whispers Bard and two levels of Fighter would be strong in an intrigue-heavy game with only a few fights; in a game with a lot of social exploration, a few fights along the way, and one big fight at the end, if you want spellcasting and Wild Shape, you might do well taking three levels of Scout Rogue instead of just going pure Druid.

(It's also worth remembering that because you're starting at 5th and only doing a one-shot, you're not going to have to regret being behind for multiple levels or missing out on higher level features or anything. What you've got is what you've got, so you could also choose to play a multiclass that you normally wouldn't at such an early level, or that you'd never be able to justify to yourself because you like one class's capstone too much. This isn't an optimizing point, of course, but I thought it might be worth mentioning.)

Klorox
2018-02-17, 09:06 AM
While you're right, strictly speaking, that also means that at level 5, a character's efficacy in battle tends to double—at least.

OP, in most cases, a one-shot at level five is going to be best with a single-classed character, yes. That said, that depends a lot on the type of one-shot it is. You're probably looking at more fight-focused stuff, so any single-classed build would suit you pretty well; which class would be best depends a little on the balance of short and long rests in the one-shot more than anything, imo.

If your one-shot happens to be more social or exploration based than combat based, though, with only a couple of fights in there, you could get away with a multiclass and might even benefit from one. Three levels of Mastermind Rogue or Whispers Bard and two levels of Fighter would be strong in an intrigue-heavy game with only a few fights; in a game with a lot of social exploration, a few fights along the way, and one big fight at the end, if you want spellcasting and Wild Shape, you might do well taking three levels of Scout Rogue instead of just going pure Druid.

(It's also worth remembering that because you're starting at 5th and only doing a one-shot, you're not going to have to regret being behind for multiple levels or missing out on higher level features or anything. What you've got is what you've got, so you could also choose to play a multiclass that you normally wouldn't at such an early level, or that you'd never be able to justify to yourself because you like one class's capstone too much. This isn't an optimizing point, of course, but I thought it might be worth mentioning.)

Thanks. I think it’s going to be a horror/mystery game, but knowing my group, it’ll turn into Scooby Doo. 🤣

8wGremlin
2018-02-17, 04:22 PM
I am fond of the following:

Human (variant) Good aligned
Crossbow mastery feat (not for the hand crossbow, but for the casting of spells up close and personal, EB to the face!)

Sorcerer (Divine Soul) 3
Warlock (Hexblade) 2

Pick up Eldritch Blast; Agonizing blast, and Repelling Blast
Pick Twin, and Quicken as your Metamagics
Medium Armour + Shield +dex (14) will give you AC 18 (plus spells to up this)

Use EB for both up close and ranged spells.
You get 2 blasts per cast. 1d10+3 and push 10' if you want.
You get a lot of concentration spells, but can twin these to be more party effective.
You can also change your unused warlock slots to SP, and then spell slot before taking a short rest, and getting the warlock slots back

Sorcerer cantrips known

Mold earth
Prestidigitation
Minor illusion
Light

Sorcerer spells known

Aid
Shadow blade (conc, twin)
Shield of Faith (conc, twin)
Dragon's breath (conc, twin)

Warlock cantrips known

Eldritch blast
Booming blade

Warlock spells known

Armor of agathys
Shield (reaction)
Protection from evil and good (conc, twin)
Cure light wounds (free, if good)

Cast Aid, to up you and your teammates hit points, and Armour of agathys (Aoa) on yourself for extra tmp hitpoint.
Both of these don't require concentration, and you can upcast the Aoa to give yourself extra tmp hps if you thought that more pertinent.

Twin cast the concentration spells, on yourself and a teammate to be more effective; Shield of Faith, Prot from evil, or Dragon's Breath, whilst you EB from behind them.

Take Sorcerer as first level, for the good CON saves.

I usually pick Urban Bounty Hunter, and human gets skills also, to cover what you like skillswise.

oh and you have all the goodness that is Divine Soul, make sure you read up on it.

Klorox
2018-02-26, 02:42 PM
Thanks everybody!

smcmike
2018-02-26, 03:12 PM
MxKit makes some very good points. While single-class characters get a big bump at 5, a one-shot does give you a chance to play something goofy that would be problematic at higher levels.

I’d be tempted to do something with 2 levels of Moon Druid, since 6th level is the actual break point for beast forms. Add two levels of Paladin and one level of Barbarian, and now your bear can rage and smite. That’s pretty fun.

JNAProductions
2018-02-26, 03:16 PM
MxKit makes some very good points. While single-class characters get a big bump at 5, a one-shot does give you a chance to play something goofy that would be problematic at higher levels.

I’d be tempted to do something with 2 levels of Moon Druid, since 6th level is the actual break point for beast forms. Add two levels of Paladin and one level of Barbarian, and now your bear can rage and smite. That’s pretty fun.

Do level 2 Moon Druids get bear forms?

smcmike
2018-02-26, 03:39 PM
Do level 2 Moon Druids get bear forms?

Yes. A brown bear is CR1.

Blood of Gaea
2018-02-26, 03:59 PM
1 Rogue/4 Lore Bard would be a solid skill monkey.

A Fiend Tomelock could pick up some useful rituals, a ton of cantrips, two uses of Fireball per short rest, and Agonizing Blast, probably making the best overall blaster option.

An Arcana Cleric has solid buffs and can supplement the low number of spell slots at 5th level with Booming Blade and Greenflame Blade.

Battlemaster Fighter is probably the best martial class, due to regaining its abilities on a short rest.

Ventruenox
2018-02-26, 04:54 PM
For a horror/mystery campaign, I would probably go Rogue Inquisitive 3/ Arcana Cleric 2. You are an occult investigator who can perform exorcisms. You get a wide variety of options:

-Cunning Action, with the potential for solving trap/puzzle rooms while in combat.
-5 cantrips: 3 Cleric, 2 Wizard. One can be a SCAG cantrip compatible with Sneak Attack. (Level 5 also being the magic number for cantrip boosts, keeping your attack on par with the rest of the party) Guidance and Mending (fix that broken clue) can be invaluable picks for mission success.
-Concentration spells like Bless, Protection from Good & Evil, etc can provide encounter changing buffs.
-Abjuration with your Channel Divinity. With a horror/mystery campaign, there is a good chance a planar creature or undead is involved. Make it afraid of you.
-Skill monkey and Expertise. Always have something to do.
-Medium armor + shield. That'll do for combat effectiveness.

strangebloke
2018-02-26, 05:05 PM
Thanks. I think it’s going to be a horror/mystery game, but knowing my group, it’ll turn into Scooby Doo. 🤣

Then you already know what you must do.

Beastmaster ranger, with a mastiff companion and an herbalism kit. Spells: Longstrider.

Klorox
2018-03-02, 07:19 AM
Then you already know what you must do.

Beastmaster ranger, with a mastiff companion and an herbalism kit. Spells: Longstrider.

LOL, I love it.