PDA

View Full Version : A proper plant based spell casting druid? - 3.5e

Albions_Angel
2018-02-17, 03:35 AM
Hi all,

I know anime, computer games, books, films, those unique characters do not translate well into D&D builds. But you can often be watching something and an idea pops into your head.

But its a day I dont have much time on, so as a short cut, I am asking you guys.

If you had to build a spellcasting-focused druid with a real plant theme, what would you do?

Besides tree stride, travel via plants, entangle and briar web (is that what its called), what plantish spells would you pick.
Are there any prestige classes that do more planty things? Add spells, SLAs, boost caster level for plant based spells?
Any ACFs that remove or modify the animal companion and wildshape? I know both of those are powerful, but low op table, not looking for game breaking. I know wildshape 12 lets you become plant creatures, and I am not aware of a way to do it earlier but I thought I would ask.

Please source your suggestions. I am trying to use "that site" as little as possible.

Fizban
2018-02-17, 05:37 AM
SpC has a bunch of the extended plant spells. Kelpstrand and Entangling Staff are both pretty good. Just going down the list: Animate Wood is a pretty tough chump blocker once you've got some duration, Wood Wose is nearly all the utility of Unseen Servant, Brambles/Spikes (and Shelliagh) are considered decent weapon buffs, Vine Mine is the "entangle" that doesn't require existing plants and for only +1 level the Poison Vines spell is madness, Junglerazer isn't that great at killing plants but Wood Rot definitely is, and Deadfall is no-save on the damage and leaves a massive pile of brush rubble.

Back to the PHB, Wall of Thorns is also pretty ridiculous with its duration and area control, you just cast it on top of someone and if they don't have enough AC they will take a bunch of damage escaping. Edit: there's also Liveoak and Shambler, which are perfectly good "I'm a spellcaster so I get free minions" spells. Spellstaff is "plant" based in that its another spell cast on wooden staves, just giving you a free extra spell basically.

There's no "plant" focus type of feat, but Spell Thematics from Player's Guide to Faerun (newest version I think) lets you essentially build your own domain of one spell at each level which receive +1 caster level. Masters of the Wild has feats (Plant Defiance and Plant Control) that let you rebuke and control plants, and some more plant spells, or you can take Initiate of Nature from PgtF again for plant rebuking and access to a couple unique spells (Mold Touch is potentially quite abusable and Briartangle is Briar Web on steroids, but Thorn Spray seems to be based on the original Orbs by way of Splinterbolt so its pretty bad). Complete Champion has domain affiliations including Plant which give you some inexpensive bonuses for good behavior, and there's the Plant Devotion feat.

PHB2 will let you trade away your spontaneous SNA and Animal Companion abilities for less animal focused variants (Shapeshift into X buffs with a planty form later reads a lot less animal focused than "look up animal statblocks and replace a bunch of your stats with a bunch of theirs" to me, and fast healing is not summoning animals), both universally considered much lower power than stock druid. As for using standard wild shape into plant earlier, that can actually be done with the 4th level Enhance Wild Shape spell from SpC, but if you're worried about power levels then using a spell which makes a high power class feature even better seems ike a bad idea.

Edit: and let's see, plant spells outside of SpC. Complete Scoundrel has Blockade (summon a giant cube of wood) and Spore Field (conjure sickening mushrooms for when there's no plants to Entangle). Dragon Magic has Call Twilight Defender (summon a dragon-shaped plant). Complete Mage has Climbing Tree (conjure a tree to climb) and Blackrot (damage a plant creature or add a sickening effect to a wooden weapon). There's also two different spells for turning people into wood or a tree, Jungle's Rapture from SpC and Wooden Blight from Complete Champion.

Ah, and two huuuuge world-building assumption spells: Forest Eyes and Forest Voice from Complete Champion. See, but more importantly carry on a conversation between two plants at unlimited range: it's a magical telephone in a 3rd level spell (Whispering Sand lasts longer so its better but there's ups and downs to both).

For PrCs, there's Verdant Lord in Masters of the Wild. Its a downgrade in power that gives spontaneous spells (the "regenerate" spells were updated to the Vigor line), a single use of Treant-only wild shape, some tree animation, and the Plant type. Arboreal Guardian from Ghostwalk is more of a hunter/guardian thing. More modern stuff in Complete Champion: Holt Warden has that Rebuke Plants again along with other abilities and no lost caster levels, Paragnostic Apostle can boost spells from chosen domains such as Plant and also boost the AC of Barkskin and the durability of any wooden or other objects you conjure. There's no planty Sanctified Ones though.

Eldariel
2018-02-17, 06:23 AM
Greenbound Summoning turns all your SNAs into very planty spells. So there's that. It's also incredibly strong.

Matrota
2018-02-17, 07:58 AM
The Woodling template in MMIII gives the plant type for LA+3 as well as up to 9th level druid spells as spell-like abilities w/ many other planty features. LA+3 isn't very optimal, but with buyoff it's most certainly worth the benefits it gives. Dragon Magazine #357 has a druid ACF that gives you a plant companion instead of an animal companion. As for plant-like/natural spells, I hae listed many non-PHB spells that match that description.

Animate Water / Animate Wood - Exactly what you'd think (CA p. 96)
Aura Againt Flame - Extinguish nonmagical fires and gain fire resistance, useful since plants are vulnerable to fire (SpC p. 18)
Branch to Branch Get climbing bonuses and can move in between treetops quickly (SpC p. 38)
Camoflague - Bonus to hide (CD p. 157)
Vine Strike - Allows target to sneak attack plants for 1 round (CAdv p. 158)
Wood Wose - Nature spirit that functions much like an Unseen Servant (DC p. 186)

Align Fang - Gives natural weapon an alignment for overcoming DR, useful for companion (SpC p. 9)
Brambles - Wooden weapon deals both piercing and bludgeoning, +1 damage per CL (SpC p. 38)
Camoflague, Mass - Bonus to hide for multiple targets (CD p. 157)
Earthbind - Target loses ability to fly (SpC p. 76)
Easy Trail - Make a trail through the undergrowth (CAdv p. 147)
Evergreen - Heal plants in area and grant immunity to cold (Frostburn)
Kelpstrand - Strands of conjured kelp grapples foes (SpC p. 128)
One With The Land - Gain bonus to nature-based skill checks (SpC p. 149)
Trip Vine - Plants in area trip creatures (Heroes of Battle)
Whip of Thorns - Gain whip that can entangle creatures (Champions of Ruin)
Woodland Veil - Multiple targets become more stealthy in natural setting (RotW)
Zone of Natural Purity - Zone enhances plants and debilitates aberrations (Eberron Campaign Setting)

Crumble - Cause non-natural structures to rapidly erode (SpC p. 56)
Dehydrate - Deal constitution damage, more effective against plants and ooze (SpC p. 62)
Entangling Staff - Staff gains ability to grapple upon hitting a creature, deals damage while grappling (CAdv p. 147)
Forestfold - Gain bonuses to hide and move silent while in designated terrain (SpC p. 98)
Greenfire - Deal acid damage to chosen locations, optionally does no damage to plants (Unapproachable East)
Junglerazer - Fey, vermin, plants, and plant creatures in line take negative energy damage (SpC p. 127)
Nature's Balance - Gain penalty to ability score while giving the equivalent bonus to an ally (SpC p. 145)
Nature's Rampart - Shape landscape to create defensible position (SpC p. 146)
Spikes - Functions like brambles, increases bonus to hit and threat range (SpC p. 202)
Thornskin - Increase unarmed damage, enemies are injured when attacking you (SpC p. 219)
Vine Mine - Vines grow in an area, serving one of four purposes that an be changed each round (SpC p. 230)

Land Womb - Create safe zone beneath the earth (SpC p. 130)
Lay of the Land - Instantly gain understanding of surrounding terrain from overhead view (SpC p. 131)
Poison Vines - As Vine Mine but vines are poisonous. Caster is immune to this poison, can share immunity with others (SpC p. 160)
Skin of the Cactus - Increase natural armor, grow thorns, and gain resistance to dehydration (Sandstorm)
Wall of Water - Create wall of water that provided many defensive benefits (Sandstorm)
Wood Rot - Instantly rot away wood or harm plant creatures (SpC p. 241)

Heal Animal Companion - As the heal spell on your companion. Should still be applicable on plant companion unless your DM is a real stickler for RAW (SpC p. 110)
Jungle's Rapture - Permanent curse that inflicts dex drain every day (SpC p. 128)
Memory Rot - Target takes int damage and then suffers int drain every round until making the save (SpC p. 140)
Phantom Stag - Phantom Steed but for druids (CD p. 174)
Plant Body - Temporarily gain many characteristics of the plant type (SpC p. 159)
Poison Thorns - As thornskin, plus any creature grappling you must save against poison (SpC p. 159)
Quill Blast - Burst of quills deals damage to nearby creatures and inflicts minor penalties (SpC p. 164)
Rejuvenation Cocoon - As heal but with a 2 round duration, cures poison and disease, can be interrupted (SpC p. 172)
Spore Cloak - Gain half-concealment, creatures that come within 5 feet of you must save against poison (Races of Faerun)

Call of the Twilight Defender - Summon a Twilight Guardian (Plant dragon) to fight for you. Dragon may sacrifice itself to heal caster. Gain +1 to Knowledge Nature just for knowing the spell (Dragon Magic)
Enveloping Cocoon - Trap target in cocoon, may attach additional spell that affects the trapped creature with no saving throw permitted (SpC p. 83)
Hide the Path - Impede divination magic in a large area (SpC p. 114)
Primal Speed - Gain bonus on reflex saves, speed, and adds benefits if other "primal" spells are active (Dragon Magic)
Summon Greater Elemental - Exactly what you'd expect (Planar Handbook)

Rain of Roses - Area deals temporary wisdom damage every round to evil creatures as well as sickens them (BoED)
Return to Nature - Inflicts penalties on non-natural creatures (Eberron Campaign Setting)
Shifting Paths - Create illusory path (SpC p. 188)
Slime Wave - Create wave of slime that devours organic materials on contact and dissolves metal (SpC p. 192)
Swamp Lung - Swamp water fills target's lungs and makes the helpless, contracts filth fever (SpC p. 216)
Word of Balance - Weakens, nauseates, paralyzes, or kills non-neutral creature (Underdark)
Wrack Earth - Line attack deals bludgeoning damage and creates difficult terrain (PHBII)

Bombardment - Boulders bury an area, dealing massive damage (PGtF)
Cocoon - Preserves corpse and prevents level and constitution loss upon Resurrection for a week. At end of week, if not resurrected, will automatically be reincarnated as the spell (SpC p. 49)
Deadfall - Summon tower of logs and branches that deals large damage and knocks creatures prone. Counts as dense rubble (SpC p. 59)
Unyielding Roots - Subject cannot be moved, is constantly healed, restored, and removed of poisons. Subject gains bonus to fortitude and will saves, but penalty to reflex saves (SpC p. 228)

Rain of Black Tulips - Area deals damage to evil outsiders every round and causes them to become nauseated (BoED)
Shadow Landscape - Using illusions drawn rom the shadow plane, one mile radius area becomes more dangerous (SpC p. 184)
Summon Elemental Monolith - Summons an elemental monolith (SpC p. 214)

DrMotives
2018-02-17, 07:59 AM
If you use the planar dragons, then draconic wild shape will let you become an arboreal dragon, which has a spray of thorns for a breath weapon.

Mehangel
2018-02-17, 08:41 AM
I know anime, computer games, books, films, those unique characters do not translate well into D&D builds. But you can often be watching something and an idea pops into your head.

I know exactly what you mean. A couple years ago, I got so frustrated that I actually went and homebrewed a class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?329412-Briar-Heart-PEACH-Druid-Duskblade-Variant) (with its own thematic spellcasting list) that did exactly what I wanted; and then not too soon after that, I was introduced to Spheres of Power (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/) and my life was changed forever; With Spheres of Power I can build thematic characters that can fit almost my every need (usually as early as 1st level). The best part about it is that because it was built for Pathfinder, it can easily be adapted to D&D 3.5e.

Palanan
2018-02-17, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by Mehangel
A couple years ago, I got so frustrated that I actually went and homebrewed a class (with its own thematic spellcasting list) that did exactly what I wanted….

This looks really cool. Did you ever finish the spell list, and did you ever have the chance to try this out?

Mehangel
2018-02-17, 10:43 AM
This looks really cool. Did you ever finish the spell list, and did you ever have the chance to try this out?

The spell list is on the very bottom of the first post; and yes I got to try it out, and I had a fun time with the character.

ShurikVch
2018-02-18, 07:24 AM
One of the strongest plant-related things, AFAIK, is the Spore Mastery - 2nd-level CF of Thrall of Zuggtmoy (Dragon #337)
You have number of spores equal to your class level, and may use them to reduce metamagical cost for spells from the Fungus Magic; it doesn't say you can't reduce it to 0; if you spent all your spores, you will become fatigued; spores regrow every dayThe following spells from the Player's Handbook, Complete Adventurer, Complete Arcane, and Complete Divine comprise the various spells of fungus magic that thralls of Zuggtmoy are expected to learn and master. The DM might add similar spells from other sources to this list as he sees fit.

1st Level - animate wood, backbite, beget bogun, detect animals or plants, entangle, goodberry, shillelagh, vine strike, wood wose
2nd Level - brambles, snare (ranger), speak with plants (ranger), spike growth (ranger), tree shape (druid), warp wood, wood shape
3rd Level - briar web, command plants (ranger), diminish plants, entangling staff (druid), plant growth, snare (druid), speak with plants (druid), spike growth (druid), spikes, thornskin, tree shape (ranger)
4th Level - antiplant shell, blight (druid), command plants (druid/plant domain), commune with nature (ranger), entangling staff (sorcerer/wizard), hallucinatory terrain, speak with plants (bard), tree stride (ranger)
5th Level - awaken, blight (sorcerer/wizard), commune with nature (druid/animal domain), tree stride (druid), wall of thorns, wood rot
6th Level - fire seeds, ironwood, liveoak, repel wood, transport via plants
7th Level - animate plants, changestaff, poison vines, transmute metal to wood
8th Level - control plants, horrid wilting, mass awaken, polymorph any object
9th Level - shambler, unyielding roots

johnbragg
2018-02-19, 05:26 PM
The Woodling template in MMIII gives the plant type for LA+3 as well as up to 9th level druid spells as spell-like abilities w/ many other planty features. LA+3 isn't very optimal, but with buyoff it's most certainly worth the benefits it gives. Dragon Magazine #357 has a druid ACF that gives you a plant companion instead of an animal companion. As for plant-like/natural spells, I hae listed many non-PHB spells that match that description.

Animate Water / Animate Wood - Exactly what you'd think (CA p. 96)
Aura Againt Flame - Extinguish nonmagical fires and gain fire resistance, useful since plants are vulnerable to fire (SpC p. 18)
Branch to Branch Get climbing bonuses and can move in between treetops quickly (SpC p. 38)
Camoflague - Bonus to hide (CD p. 157)
Vine Strike - Allows target to sneak attack plants for 1 round (CAdv p. 158)
Wood Wose - Nature spirit that functions much like an Unseen Servant (DC p. 186)

Align Fang - Gives natural weapon an alignment for overcoming DR, useful for companion (SpC p. 9)
Brambles - Wooden weapon deals both piercing and bludgeoning, +1 damage per CL (SpC p. 38)
Camoflague, Mass - Bonus to hide for multiple targets (CD p. 157)
Earthbind - Target loses ability to fly (SpC p. 76)
Easy Trail - Make a trail through the undergrowth (CAdv p. 147)
Evergreen - Heal plants in area and grant immunity to cold (Frostburn)
Kelpstrand - Strands of conjured kelp grapples foes (SpC p. 128)
One With The Land - Gain bonus to nature-based skill checks (SpC p. 149)
Trip Vine - Plants in area trip creatures (Heroes of Battle)
Whip of Thorns - Gain whip that can entangle creatures (Champions of Ruin)
Woodland Veil - Multiple targets become more stealthy in natural setting (RotW)
Zone of Natural Purity - Zone enhances plants and debilitates aberrations (Eberron Campaign Setting)

Crumble - Cause non-natural structures to rapidly erode (SpC p. 56)
Dehydrate - Deal constitution damage, more effective against plants and ooze (SpC p. 62)
Entangling Staff - Staff gains ability to grapple upon hitting a creature, deals damage while grappling (CAdv p. 147)
Forestfold - Gain bonuses to hide and move silent while in designated terrain (SpC p. 98)
Greenfire - Deal acid damage to chosen locations, optionally does no damage to plants (Unapproachable East)
Junglerazer - Fey, vermin, plants, and plant creatures in line take negative energy damage (SpC p. 127)
Nature's Balance - Gain penalty to ability score while giving the equivalent bonus to an ally (SpC p. 145)
Nature's Rampart - Shape landscape to create defensible position (SpC p. 146)
Spikes - Functions like brambles, increases bonus to hit and threat range (SpC p. 202)
Thornskin - Increase unarmed damage, enemies are injured when attacking you (SpC p. 219)
Vine Mine - Vines grow in an area, serving one of four purposes that an be changed each round (SpC p. 230)

Land Womb - Create safe zone beneath the earth (SpC p. 130)
Lay of the Land - Instantly gain understanding of surrounding terrain from overhead view (SpC p. 131)
Poison Vines - As Vine Mine but vines are poisonous. Caster is immune to this poison, can share immunity with others (SpC p. 160)
Skin of the Cactus - Increase natural armor, grow thorns, and gain resistance to dehydration (Sandstorm)
Wall of Water - Create wall of water that provided many defensive benefits (Sandstorm)
Wood Rot - Instantly rot away wood or harm plant creatures (SpC p. 241)

Heal Animal Companion - As the heal spell on your companion. Should still be applicable on plant companion unless your DM is a real stickler for RAW (SpC p. 110)
Jungle's Rapture - Permanent curse that inflicts dex drain every day (SpC p. 128)
Memory Rot - Target takes int damage and then suffers int drain every round until making the save (SpC p. 140)
Phantom Stag - Phantom Steed but for druids (CD p. 174)
Plant Body - Temporarily gain many characteristics of the plant type (SpC p. 159)
Poison Thorns - As thornskin, plus any creature grappling you must save against poison (SpC p. 159)
Quill Blast - Burst of quills deals damage to nearby creatures and inflicts minor penalties (SpC p. 164)
Rejuvenation Cocoon - As heal but with a 2 round duration, cures poison and disease, can be interrupted (SpC p. 172)
Spore Cloak - Gain half-concealment, creatures that come within 5 feet of you must save against poison (Races of Faerun)

Call of the Twilight Defender - Summon a Twilight Guardian (Plant dragon) to fight for you. Dragon may sacrifice itself to heal caster. Gain +1 to Knowledge Nature just for knowing the spell (Dragon Magic)
Enveloping Cocoon - Trap target in cocoon, may attach additional spell that affects the trapped creature with no saving throw permitted (SpC p. 83)
Hide the Path - Impede divination magic in a large area (SpC p. 114)
Primal Speed - Gain bonus on reflex saves, speed, and adds benefits if other "primal" spells are active (Dragon Magic)
Summon Greater Elemental - Exactly what you'd expect (Planar Handbook)

Rain of Roses - Area deals temporary wisdom damage every round to evil creatures as well as sickens them (BoED)
Return to Nature - Inflicts penalties on non-natural creatures (Eberron Campaign Setting)
Shifting Paths - Create illusory path (SpC p. 188)
Slime Wave - Create wave of slime that devours organic materials on contact and dissolves metal (SpC p. 192)
Swamp Lung - Swamp water fills target's lungs and makes the helpless, contracts filth fever (SpC p. 216)
Word of Balance - Weakens, nauseates, paralyzes, or kills non-neutral creature (Underdark)
Wrack Earth - Line attack deals bludgeoning damage and creates difficult terrain (PHBII)

Bombardment - Boulders bury an area, dealing massive damage (PGtF)
Cocoon - Preserves corpse and prevents level and constitution loss upon Resurrection for a week. At end of week, if not resurrected, will automatically be reincarnated as the spell (SpC p. 49)
Deadfall - Summon tower of logs and branches that deals large damage and knocks creatures prone. Counts as dense rubble (SpC p. 59)
Unyielding Roots - Subject cannot be moved, is constantly healed, restored, and removed of poisons. Subject gains bonus to fortitude and will saves, but penalty to reflex saves (SpC p. 228)

Rain of Black Tulips - Area deals damage to evil outsiders every round and causes them to become nauseated (BoED)
Shadow Landscape - Using illusions drawn rom the shadow plane, one mile radius area becomes more dangerous (SpC p. 184)
Summon Elemental Monolith - Summons an elemental monolith (SpC p. 214)

BUMPed for Albion's Angel.

I just noticed and realized that the list above was all non-PHB spells.

Entangle, Detect Snares and Pits, Goodberry, Animate Rope
Barkskin, Tree Shape, Warp Wood, Wood Shape
Diminish Plants, Plant Growth, Speak With Plants
Antiplant Shell, Blight, Command Plants
Tree Stride, Wall of Thorns
Antilife Shell, Fire Seeds, Ironwood, Liveoak, Spellstaff, Repel Wood, Transport Via Plants
Animate Plants, Changestaff
Control Plants
Shambler, Shapechange