PDA

View Full Version : Question about moon Druid wildshape.

Spacehamster
2018-02-17, 06:12 AM
The moon Druid uses bonus action to turn into his wild/elemental shapes, but can he still use his action to do it?

DarkKnightJin
2018-02-17, 06:21 AM
I suppose they could, but why would they want to?

Spacehamster
2018-02-17, 06:22 AM
I suppose they could, but why would they want to?

For example: cast guardian of nature on bonus action, then wildshape using your action

LeonBH
2018-02-17, 06:24 AM
Yes, they still have their original Wild Shape ability which allows them to transform as an action. Their Circle ability doesn't replace Wild Shape and doesn't say something to the effect of "as a bonus action instead of an action."

Spacehamster
2018-02-17, 06:28 AM
Yes, they still have their original Wild Shape ability which allows them to transform as an action. Their Circle ability doesn't replace Wild Shape and doesn't say something to the effect of "as a bonus action instead of an action."

Cool thanks, thought so but were not sure. :)

hymer
2018-02-17, 06:38 AM

The actual quote is

[...]you gain the ability to use Wild Shape on your turn as a bonus action, rather than as an action.
Which to me seems a little ambiguous. I'd rule to allow it, but as player I'd ask my DM rather than assume.
Edit: Some people have argued that one damper on the power of wild shapes is that you cannot wild shape directly from wild shape. I disagree with this interpretation, but if your DM is of that persuasion, allowing both action and bonus action shifting would make it much faster and safer to go from one wild shape to another, and so reduce the effectiveness of this damper.

Tubben
2018-02-17, 06:46 AM
The actual quote is

Which to me seems a little ambiguous. I'd rule to allow it, but as player I'd ask my DM rather than assume.

You can use both. Either an action or an bonus action. There is an Sage advice for this, where Mike Mearls stated you can still use an action.

cant post URLs..

sageadvice.eu/2016/03/23/druids-with-combat-wild-shape/

edit, there is an sage advice for shaping from one form to another also, just dont have the URL at Hand. You CAN Shape from one form to another, giving you unlimited 'healing' at lv 20 (CP says you dont heal, which is technically correct...).

hymer
2018-02-17, 06:52 AM
You can use both. Either an action or an bonus action. There is an Sage advice for this, where Mike Mearls stated you can still use an action.

cant post URLs..

sageadvice.eu/2016/03/23/druids-with-combat-wild-shape/

edit, there is an sage advice for shaping from one form to another also, just dont have the URL at Hand. You CAN Shape from one form to another, giving you unlimited 'healing' at lv 20 (CP says you dont heal, which is technically correct...).

Just to be clear, Jeremy Crawford is the Sage Advice guy. What you link to is a developer tweet mentioned on the Sage Advice website (not the Sage Advice column), which tracks developer's tweets.

Arkhios
2018-02-17, 06:53 AM
The actual quote is

[...]you gain the ability to use Wild Shape on your turn as a bonus action, rather than as an action.

Edit: Some people have argued that one damper on the power of wild shapes is that you cannot wild shape directly from wild shape. I disagree with this interpretation, but if your DM is of that persuasion, allowing both action and bonus action shifting would make it much faster and safer to go from one wild shape to another, and so reduce the effectiveness of this damper.

I would like to point your attention to the language used (bolded in the quote you provided). It quite clearly states you gain something. Nothing is revoked. "rather than" isn't as exclusive as "instead of"; it's more preferential in use.

Tubben
2018-02-17, 06:55 AM
Just to be clear, Jeremy Crawford is the Sage Advice guy. What you link to is a developer tweet mentioned on the Sage Advice website (not the Sage Advice column), which tracks developer's tweets.

Aye, i know that. But thanks for clarifying that. That was a bit unclear from my part.

hymer
2018-02-17, 07:01 AM
I would like to point your attention to the language used (bolded in the quote you provided). It quite clearly states you gain something. Nothing is revoked. "rather than" isn't as exclusive as "instead of"; it's more preferential in use.
Again, I agree with that interpretation. But there is another way of seeing it: It didn't say 'in addition to'. That would have been clear and beyond argument. It could imply that you can, in your turn (as mentioned) do it as a bonus action rather than a standard action, but you can't do both.

Aye, i know that. But thanks for clarifying that. That was a bit unclear from my part.
And thanks for chasing down the tweet when I couldn't be bothered to. :smallsmile: