PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Samurai, first draft

kingheff1
2018-02-17, 04:01 PM
The samurai

Swift strike: When taking the attack action the samurai can choose to spend his bonus action spread out his attacks via a series of incredibly precise, quick movements. The samurai may choose any creature or object within fifteen feet to put one, or more, attacks into. The total number of attacks equals the number of attacks a character has when using the attack action. The samurai provokes no attacks of opportunity and is not affected by reactions during the swift strike. The samurai can, at the end of the swift strike, position himself anywhere within the area of the swift strike. Physical and magical barriers can block a swift strike. Travelling through harmful effects such as a wall of fire do not affect the samurai during a swift strike.
At third level a samurai may use Swift strike twice per day. The uses increase to three at eighth level, four at fifteenth level and five at twentieth level.
The samurai regains spent uses of Swift strike on a short rest or long.

Inspiring presence: At fifth level the samurai gains himself and grants advantage to saving throws against fear type effects to all allies with fifteen feet of the samurai, at fifteenth level the samurai extends his presence out to thirty feet.

Precise strike: At tenth level the deadly strikes of the samurai cause any target hit during a swift strike to take damage equal to the Samurai's fighter level divided by three, rounding down.

Tireless strike: At 19th level the samurai gains a use of swift strike whenever he rolls initiative and he has no use of swift strike available.

Apologies for the wall of text format but I just copied it off a word doc. Feedback gratefully received.

Throne12
2018-02-17, 04:45 PM
Why we have a samurai in Xan's?

kingheff1
2018-02-17, 04:53 PM

Because I have a different idea for it.

Vogie
2018-02-17, 06:24 PM
Then use the Homebrew forum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?15-Homebrew-Design) that is made especially for that purpose.

If you want to discuss the actual Samurai class, including rulings, multiclassing, ideas, RAW vs RAI or other questions, we're happy to do it here.

kingheff1
2018-02-17, 06:40 PM
Then use the Homebrew forum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?15-Homebrew-Design) that is made especially for that purpose.

If you want to discuss the actual Samurai class, including rulings, multiclassing, ideas, RAW vs RAI or other questions, we're happy to do it here.

Good point, my mistake.

Matticusrex
2018-02-17, 07:29 PM

archetypes are a terrible excuse to not homebrew somthing. The samurai archetype is also pretty damn bad.

Vogie
2018-02-17, 09:34 PM
archetypes are a terrible excuse to not homebrew somthing. The samurai archetype is also pretty damn bad.

That I will certainly agree with. That 7th level feature is frustrating. However, I've been toying with a Samurai 3 / Rogue X build, as they ability to just generate advantage seems too nice not to pass up. However, 3x/LR is just terrible.

If they would just change/errata it to 3x/Rest, like most of the other Fighter archetypes, it would help the archetype considerably

Kuulvheysoon
2018-02-17, 10:25 PM
That I will certainly agree with. That 7th level feature is frustrating. However, I've been toying with a Samurai 3 / Rogue X build, as they ability to just generate advantage seems too nice not to pass up. However, 3x/LR is just terrible.

If they would just change/errata it to 3x/Rest, like most of the other Fighter archetypes, it would help the archetype considerably

Honestly, I'd be happy if they pulled a bard and changed their LR resource (Bardic Inspiration) to a SR resource once they hit X level.

Ganymede
2018-02-17, 10:26 PM
Swift Strike does not feel particularly impressive. In and of itself, it is essentially the ability to Disengage as a bonus action twice a day, with maybe an extra 5-10' of movement. That's all you really get; the ability to spread your attacks without worrying about opportunity attacks.

Inspiring Presence seems to be similar to the Paladin's anti-fear aura, but slightly weaker.

The rest of these abilities just enhance Swift Strike.

None of this feels particularly samurai, whether the historical samurai or the pop-culture samurai.