PDA

View Full Version : Treantmonk wizard question

SkylarkR6
2018-02-17, 04:54 PM
So I couldn't find any thread on this while searching so I figured I'd ask. I'm stepping away from my normal nonsense builds to go to town as a straight divination wizard in the Treantmonk god wizard tradition, but other then ratings on spells, I hadn't seen a list for recommended spells by level. Did he ever post one somewhere and I missed it?

Should be fun to play something besides melee characters and I don't wanna blast indiscriminately.

Deathtongue
2018-02-17, 07:04 PM
Recommended spells by level will heavily depend on the wizard you want to play, which is probably why he didn't want to do it. Investiture of Stone and Shadow Blade is merely okay in the hands of most wizards, but devastating in the hands of a Bladesinger. Danse Macabre is a cute parlor trick for most wizards, but a room-clearing spell for Necromancer wizards. Illusionists turn Silent Image and similar spells into total encounter-wreckers.

There's also the issue that certain spells get better as time goes on, while other spells get worse. Shatter and Thunderwave are great when you get them, but get increasingly worse. Protection from Evil and Good and Dispel Magic start mediocre, finish strong.

If you were asking me for a quick-and-dirty list of four of every level ANY wizard should consider putting in their spell slot when they first get it until the the end of the game, though:

1 - Shield, Mage Armor, Silent Image, Grease
2 - Levitate, Suggestion, Misty Step, Ray of Enfeeblement, Web
3 - Counterspell, Haste, Fireball/Lightning Bolt, Enemies Abound
4 - Watery Sphere, Polymorph, Banishment, Wall of Fire
5 - Telekinesis, Conjure Elemental, Transmute Rock, Wall of Force/Wall of Stone
6 - Sunbeam, Contingency, Mass Suggestion, Irresistible Dance
7 - Simulacrum, Whirlwind, Planeshift, Forcecage
8 - Antipathy/Sympathy, Demiplane, Clone, Maze
9 - Shapechange, True Polymorph, Prismatic Wall, Wish

Spells you don't want/need to have prepared right away but will probably want to spare a slot or five for as the game goes on:

1 - Detect Magic, Absorb Elements
2 - Rope Trick, Detect Thoughts
3 - Remove Curse, Dispel Magic, Glyph of Warding
4 - Arcane Eye, Dimension Door

SkylarkR6
2018-02-17, 07:29 PM
Your list is very similar to the one I came up with actually. I was hoping he posted a list of his preferred spells and the reasons behind, mainly for ideas of usage and priorities. I mostly play paladin, barbarians, a bunch of warlocks lately(<3), but I haven't played a full caster as controller since AD&D heh

Honest Tiefling
2018-02-17, 07:41 PM
I think this (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZHzEjiHvtDItZE2ixfoYwqi7brTO-ag8uBJndE5saro/edit) is what you are looking for.