PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Tremorsense Unseelie Fey

Seak
2018-02-17, 05:30 PM
I've been looking at options for playing an Unseelie Fey (http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/unseeliefey.shtml) with the lacks eyes and tremorsense option. Any build options that would give a first level warlock or binder something more than the 30 ft tremorsense. Blind-fight seems to be a must have, and I was hoping to avoid the dip into mindbender because of the alignment restriction. What other options are available to grant better visibility or give an extra edge at handling concealment at first level?

Matrota
2018-02-17, 05:40 PM
Your first level into warlock can give you the See the Unseen invocation to get darkvision and see invisibility.

EDIT: Creatures with scent know exactly where someone is if they're within 5 ft, regardless of concealment or invisibility. Hunter's Sense, a first level tiger's claw stance, gives scent. You could dip a level in an initiator class at second level for that. Or you could spend two feats to take martial study and martial stance, getting the stance without a dip. The Serpent's Tongue warlock invocation from Complete Mage also gives scent, which is probably a better option than feat investment.

Seak
2018-02-17, 05:47 PM
Your first level into warlock can give you the See the Unseen invocation to get darkvision and see invisibility.

Does darkvision and see invisibility work without eyes?

Zaq
2018-02-17, 09:17 PM
Are you married to Warlock? DFAs are reasonably similar mechanically, and tremorsense is more than enough to be able to aim your big AoE that doesn’t give a damn about concealment (just about locating squares). Fluff is mutable.

Feantar
2018-02-17, 09:31 PM
Not particularly cheap, but wouldn't a graft (like an eye-stalk) give you vision?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2018-02-17, 09:45 PM
Keep in mind that Tremorsense only detects creatures that are moving and in contact with the ground, while you're in contact with the ground. It doesn't allow you to know where there are walls, stairs, a low doorway, a pit, etc.

Use the Magic-Blooded or Spark template (+0 LA, -2 Wis, +2 Cha) in Dragon 306 p94:
"Vision: A spark loses her ancestral race’s special visual capabilities and gains low-light vision that allows her to see twice as far as a human in lowlight conditions."

So that replaces your lack of eyes (but not your tremorsense) with eyes that have low-light vision.

Celestia
2018-02-17, 10:02 PM
I'm not sure I understand the alignment conflict. Mindbender is non-good, and unseelie fey is evil. Seems to work fine.

Seak
2018-02-17, 10:20 PM
Keep in mind that Tremorsense only detects creatures that are moving and in contact with the ground, while you're in contact with the ground. It doesn't allow you to know where there are walls, stairs, a low doorway, a pit, etc.

Use the Magic-Blooded or Spark template (+0 LA, -2 Wis, +2 Cha) in Dragon 306 p94:
"Vision: A spark loses her ancestral race’s special visual capabilities and gains low-light vision that allows her to see twice as far as a human in lowlight conditions."

So that replaces your lack of eyes (but not your tremorsense) with eyes that have low-light vision.
Would these templates be able to stack in that way? Might be hard to convince a DM.

I'm not sure I understand the alignment conflict. Mindbender is non-good, and unseelie fey is evil. Seems to work fine.
Mindbender is great for most characters, but the one I'm making is good. When a race is 'always' evil that means that they're usually evil.

Seak
2018-02-17, 10:22 PM
Are you married to Warlock? DFAs are reasonably similar mechanically, and tremorsense is more than enough to be able to aim your big AoE that doesn’t give a damn about concealment (just about locating squares). Fluff is mutable.
I was hoping to use warlock because my DM would let me stack like DR.

Not particularly cheap, but wouldn't a graft (like an eye-stalk) give you vision?
I'll look into that.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2018-02-17, 11:00 PM
Would these templates be able to stack in that way? Might be hard to convince a DM.

They're both inherited templates, so you can choose which one to apply first. Add Unseelie Fey to your base race, lose your eyes, add Spark, your (lack of) vision gets replaced according to what it says.

It's just as unlikely for a DM to be willing to let you use Unseelie Fey in the first place.

Seak
2018-02-18, 02:01 AM
They're both inherited templates, so you can choose which one to apply first. Add Unseelie Fey to your base race, lose your eyes, add Spark, your (lack of) vision gets replaced according to what it says.

It's just as unlikely for a DM to be willing to let you use Unseelie Fey in the first place.

I think another problem is that darkvision doesn't do anything without eyes, so it basically just gets rid of trmorsense.

Fizban
2018-02-18, 02:23 AM
Don't forget that Blind Fight only works with melee attacks. The best way to handle concealment at 1st level for a Warlock is to just use the Summon Swarm invocation. If you can survive to 3rd you can take Obtain Familiar to handle navigation.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2018-02-18, 03:09 AM
I think another problem is that darkvision doesn't do anything without eyes, so it basically just gets rid of trmorsense.

Just gaining Darkvision or See Invisibility via See the Unseen wouldn't work, but Spark specifically says it replaces any special vision (including a lack of vision) with low-light vision, which functions in both normal and low-light conditions.

PrediDERP
2018-02-18, 04:51 PM
Semi-related question to Unseelie Fey, in its description is says "Being creatures of extremely mixed genetic ancestry, no two unseelie fey look quite the same. You might want to enhance the variations by rolling on the Variant Slaadi table in the Monster Manual." Can anyone point me to what page the Variant Slaadi table is? Can't seem to find it for the life of me.

Fizban
2018-02-18, 08:26 PM
Time of printing matters. That's the 3.0 Monster Manual.