PDA

View Full Version : Build suggestions for two-person party?

Greywander
2018-02-18, 03:46 AM
I've managed to rope my sister into a weekly campaign. We'll be having our first session in a couple days, and we're going to use a virtual DM so that one of us doesn't need to be behind the DM screen the whole time.

With just the two of us, though, I'm wondering what sort of builds we should go for. I've already decided that we'll make gestalt characters, both to boost our power a bit and so that we can cover more roles. Action economy still isn't going to be kind to us, though.

My sister said she want's to play (a) a ranged character, (b) a character with healing, and/or (c) a charismatic character. On hearing that, I immediately thought of Favored Soul sorcerer and Celestial warlock. Ranger, paladin, druid, and cleric might also interest her, so we'll see.

I like to play utility characters, so I'll probably go straight wizard with one of my classes, and probably dabble in rogue, bard, sorcerer, Knowledge cleric, and/or warlock. I actually could get proficiency with all 18 skills, while still taking wizard to 20 thanks to being a gestalt character.

It seems like we're lacking a tank, though, and could get torn to pieces quickly. Summoned creatures might be able to alleviate that, though.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on gestalt builds for a two-person team? What are some tactics, both in and out of combat, that we could focus on to get the most out of just two characters?

Tanarii
2018-02-18, 04:15 AM
For two people parties, instead of gestalt my preference is to give them each a basic mercenary to control too. In 5e, make them basic sword and board Champion Fighters, each with one basic personality hook, not too smart or talkative, and simple but evocative names. I've done this a few times and it works pretty well, especially in a closed environment like a dungeon.. The last ones were a couple of brothers, Hanz and Franz. Mostly the PCs directed them to act as human shields, standing in front and taking the Dodge action while the casters did their thing.

If she wants to play a healer or buffer and you want more ulility, much offense between you, you might want to make them 2H Greatsword mercs instead.

Kane0
2018-02-18, 05:37 AM
For two people parties, instead of gestalt my preference is to give them each a basic mercenary to control too. In 5e, make them basic sword and board Champion Fighters, each with one basic personality hook, not too smart or talkative, and simple but evocative names.

I have also done this, works a treat. The favourite faceless warrior tagalong at my table is Sir Roderick Von Fomplebottom the Magnificent Bastard.

The Shadowdove
2018-02-18, 10:21 AM
Tempest cleric is a ridiculously viable option for these kind of games.

It can tank, heal, melee, rebuke foes, control, and deal some heavy aoe spell damage.

Our tempest cleric of tempus is a Goliath and he often outshines the barbarian in melee with simple utility and thunder/lightning damage combos.

It's loaded with push backs, melee augmenting abilities, aoes, ability to maximize thunder/lightning damage, has heavy armor, heals, debuffs, ailment/curse removal, and the ability to ritual cast.

Wade into combat and summon a spiritual weapon to melee alongside you, while your melee attacks deal additional thunder damage. Then use your concentration to summon spirit guardians, ancestral spirit, or a giant lightning cloud that you get to maximize damage on which also knocks people back. If they hit you, use your reaction to force them to take damage.

Naanomi
2018-02-18, 10:29 AM
It is hard to get all the roles in with two people. I like paring a Cleric or Paladin (tanking, healing; especially of status effects which can be brutal with only two) with a rogue (consistent damage, skills) for the classic ‘adventuring odd couple’

Ritual casting is also good to have when resources are low, so the celestial tomelock is not a bad idea either

Although, with only two members you can also specialize very well... two different Stealth focused characters, or an aracokra and a winged Tiefling flying their way past trouble

inexorabletruth
2018-02-18, 10:38 AM
I'm new to 5E, so I can only give general advice:

For party balance, put your healer/tank in one gestalt, then your striker/skill monkey in the next. Often times the striker will need the skills anyway, and the healer needs to not die.

For kill or be killed, go with blaster/striker, buffer/skill monkey. It's risky, because you either cut a bloody swath, or go out in a blaze of glory. This strategy allows you to go nova often.

For I-have-no-idea-what's-in-store, go with healer/skill monkey, striker/skill monkey. Synergize your skill sets and starting gear with each other to maximize your results. Try not to overlap. Play deep, and rely on ranged attacks, perception skills, and not getting hit. It's a defensive way to play, so battles go on longer, but you'll effectively be prepared for any contingency.

Citan
2018-02-18, 11:11 AM
I've managed to rope my sister into a weekly campaign. We'll be having our first session in a couple days, and we're going to use a virtual DM so that one of us doesn't need to be behind the DM screen the whole time.

With just the two of us, though, I'm wondering what sort of builds we should go for. I've already decided that we'll make gestalt characters, both to boost our power a bit and so that we can cover more roles. Action economy still isn't going to be kind to us, though.

My sister said she want's to play (a) a ranged character, (b) a character with healing, and/or (c) a charismatic character. On hearing that, I immediately thought of Favored Soul sorcerer and Celestial warlock. Ranger, paladin, druid, and cleric might also interest her, so we'll see.

I like to play utility characters, so I'll probably go straight wizard with one of my classes, and probably dabble in rogue, bard, sorcerer, Knowledge cleric, and/or warlock. I actually could get proficiency with all 18 skills, while still taking wizard to 20 thanks to being a gestalt character.

It seems like we're lacking a tank, though, and could get torn to pieces quickly. Summoned creatures might be able to alleviate that, though.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on gestalt builds for a two-person team? What are some tactics, both in and out of combat, that we could focus on to get the most out of just two characters?
Hi!

Well...
Two-tag team could be for example...

Sister: EK X + Lore Bard 3: Bard side for healing, social expertise and buff, Fighter for ranged attack.
Or just a plain Valor Bard X really, to get everything is a nice package.
Unless she doesn't care about being martial, in which case I'd suggest a Bard X / Hexblade Warlock 2 (start Hexblade Warlock 1, go whatever Bard you like 6+, take another level of Warlock for Agonizing Blast when you feel it needed).

You: Bladesinger Wizard 2-3-6 / Arcane Trickster Rogue 5-X.
Wizard means rituals, Bladesinger means extra AC and mobility, Rogue means skills and good versatility.
Either go Rogue main and just dip Bladesinger 2, so you get Reliable Talent as fast as you can.
Or go Wizard main, just taking Rogue levels somewhere for Expertise, Cunning Action and up to Uncanny Dodge.
For a single-class package, then Druid will probably be your best bet. Tough choice with Wizard, but since you seem keen on versatility, I think a Moon or Shepherd Druid will be much better overall: Wild Shape is as versatile as anyone could dream of, and the fact you can change spells every day helps having the right one for any situation. Plus you can round that up with Ritual Caster: Wizard feat if you feel it useful, and Druid gets a wide array of spells that can help you two control the battlefield or sneak/flee away.

Recap?
Single class: Valor Bard + Moon (or Shepherd) Druid.
PROS: double healing capability, cover CHA and WIS skills, great versatility.
CONs: nobody covers INT skills, maybe Moon Druid does not suit your expectation of a gestalt character.

Dual-class?
Valor Bard X / Warlock 2+ OR EK 11 / Lore Bard 3, Bladesinger 6+ / Arcane Trickster 5+

Tri-class?
Sister: Divine Sorcerer 5 / Rogue 1 / EK 11 (long-term).
You: Knowledge Cleric 2 / Bladesinger 2 / Arcane Trickster 11.

Let me know if any of those suggestions is inspiring you then I can get into a bit more of detail. ;)

opaopajr
2018-02-18, 01:38 PM
Whatever your heart desires. No, seriously, go have fun! :smallsmile:

All it means is your small party would do well to:

a) Know Your Strengths & Weaknesses. (e.g. enchanters and illusionists play up different strengths than champions and battlemasters.)

b) Bring Allies. (look up unskilled & skilled hirelings, pets, and full NPCs as needed. Keep an eye on morale, capacity, loyalties, maintenance, etc.)

Blood of Gaea
2018-02-19, 12:10 AM
Well, with you both going with Gestalt, and looking to your preferences, I would recommend your sister going with a Devotion Paladin//Divine Soul Sorcerer,
a Valor Bard could replace Paladin, or Lore Bard could replace Sorcerer.

I would then recommend you a Thief Rogue//Divination Wizard, an Illusion Wizard and/or Trickster Rogue would also be great, you might also consider dipping 2 levels from your Rogue side into Bard for Jack of All Trades, but that's not necessary.

Divine Soul Sorcerer is in Xanathar's Guide To Everything.