PDA

View Full Version : What system would work best for a Power Rangers game?

togapika
2018-02-18, 12:16 PM
I ran a power rangers game once using a mish-mash of World of Darkness stuff, but it didn't really work out so well.
The rangers themselves could easily be statted up using any number of superhero systems, but the problem comes when I have to deal with the mecha combat.

In the show each ranger has at least one zord and most of them combine in some form or fashion to make one bigger robot (Or the zord turns into a robot mode). You can tell from the shows and movies that the idea of them combining is that each of them has a different job in the mech, like controlling the shields or moving a certain part of the body, but I haven't found any system yet that can handle multiples combining into one guy.

Any suggestions?

Black Jester
2018-02-18, 01:38 PM
Golden Book BRP. Has decent rules for super powers and martial arts, and a fun add-on for mecha of various sizes.

johnbragg
2018-02-18, 06:46 PM
Actually Power Rangers isn't the only cartoon where Mecha unite to form MegaMecha.

Is there a battlemech type RPG that does that?

The Random NPC
2018-02-18, 07:12 PM
I believe BESM has an actual Power Ranger class, that might be worth a look.

PrismCat21
2018-02-18, 07:39 PM
Here ya go.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?140247-Henshin-A-Go-Go-Baby!-(DnD-3-5-Supplement-WIP-PEACH)
I've always wanted to play in a game that allowed it.
But I've never been able to get enough people interested that would take the time to learn about it.

Hunter Noventa
2018-02-19, 02:58 PM
There's also Battle Century G, which is more mecha-focused. I honestly don't know if it has rules for personal combat off the top of my head.

archon_huskie
2018-02-19, 03:32 PM
Star Ace had a system where 1 player piloted the ship, another 2 handled repairs and the rest where the gunners. That doesn't really work for Power Rangers as their zords were melee fighters.

I suggest using seasons where the Rangers fight by being in sync with each other and control the zords with their movements. Like in Jungle fury, or mystic force. Have each Ranger roll for the attack, but use the best roll.

Or have each ranger apply their strength to the Zord. Like in Dino Charge, Chase was the best with a pistol His zord added a gun to the megazord so his stat for firearms would be used. Riley was the best swordsman and his zord added a sword. So use his stat for sword play. Koda was strongest so his zord added a shield and with that shield bash attacks.

awa
2018-02-19, 03:36 PM
one trick you could try is since the mechs never fight person sized foes just re fluff their stats

This has an added benefit that it means the monster dont need to be restated when grown just refluff

ImNotTrevor
2018-02-19, 09:53 PM
I was going to say that, pretty much. Fate Accelerated would handle this EASILY.

Scale up to the zords? That just changes the nature of the conflict but the Forceful character will still be good at punching and lasers whether on foot or in a dinobot.

For the Megazord portions, they choose one person to make the Attack for the round, one to Defend, and the rest either Assist or create Aspects. Easy.

CharonsHelper
2018-02-19, 11:47 PM
I was going to say that, pretty much. Fate Accelerated would handle this EASILY.

If you're into it - Fate can sort of handle most things. IF you like it. But if the OP was a fan of Fate - he'd probably already have used it.

one trick you could try is since the mechs never fight person sized foes just re fluff their stats

This has an added benefit that it means the monster dont need to be restated when grown just refluff

Yes - it seems like the trick would be to build a Zord creation system where you use the best stat of each character for the combination one. I didn't watch the show much, but I think that their getting big was just the cue the Zord fight scene. I don't think there was any infantry/mecha conflict - so you don't need to worry about scaling rules or some such.

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-02-20, 12:02 AM
Yes - it seems like the trick would be to build a Zord creation system where you use the best stat of each character for the combination one. I didn't watch the show much, but I think that their getting big was just the cue the Zord fight scene. I don't think there was any infantry/mecha conflict - so you don't need to worry about scaling rules or some such.

With one sort of exception where a zord fought the entire enemy spaceship, which had landed and become a way bigger zord. It got stepped on quite a bit.

If sticking to the aesthetics of the show I think the idea of "use the same stats when scaled up, but have the zord combine everyone's best stats/rolls" would work well. It means that the scaled up fight is actually easier than the small fight, which it very much is in the show. To balance this out you could stress the extra risk. If the bad guy goes uncontrolled for a little while they could destroy much of the city.

Rhedyn
2018-02-20, 10:38 AM
Savage Worlds with the Superpowers and Sci-fi companions $30 total.

Rangers work well as superheros with a gimmick, the Zords can just be walkers and the players have a mechanical reason to use them. Throw some super powers on the mega zord (gimmick hindrance) to make a colossal superhero that works off the team attack powers and walker rules.

ImNotTrevor
2018-02-20, 06:59 PM
If you're into it - Fate can sort of handle most things. IF you like it. But if the OP was a fan of Fate - he'd probably already have used it.

This presents a weird version of the world wherein we all inherently know of Fate and if we don't mention it, that must therefore mean we don't like it.

That is a weird worldview.

Since I have no evidence that he has used Fate, I'm gonna suggest it since it could work, not assume that because he didn't mention it that he doesn't want to use it. He might not have considered it.

Grek
2018-02-21, 12:36 PM
Mutants and Masterminds, surely?

Arbane
2018-02-21, 02:22 PM
Tokyo Heroes (http://dsg.neko-machi.com/tokyoheroes/tokyo_heroes.pdf) is literally made for this. (And magical girls.) And it's short and free.