PDA

View Full Version : Missing spells

VoxRationis
2018-02-18, 01:55 PM
I'm working on updating a 3.5 character to 5e and I'm not finding quite a number of spells in the new edition.
protection from arrows, ventriloquism, cause fear, doom, glitterdust, whispering wind, and minor image
Some of these, like ventriloquism, are niche and won't be missed. Whispering wind has become kind of redundant with the reduced spell level of sending. Protection from arrows and glitterdust, however, were basically signature spells for this character and others in the setting, so I'm wondering, with some concern, if I'm just not looking properly, or if they were renamed or their features folded into some other spells, or if I'm just out of luck there.

DeTess
2018-02-18, 02:09 PM
I think glitterdust in it's 3.5e form is just gone. However, cause fear still exists (Just 'Fear' now), Minor image has an effect basically identical to 5e's silent image, Doom no longer has a mechanical niche as fear escalation is no longer a thing (there's just 'frightened and 'not frightened').

Protection from arrows is also no longer a thing, mostly because, with the exception of one feat, Damage reduction is no longer a mechanic. Instead there's Resistance, though there is no spell that gives resistance against damage from arrows(AFAIK). There is a spell called 'Warding wind' which gives people shooting arrows at you disadvantage though.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-02-18, 02:10 PM
Cause fear is in XGtE. Minor image and ventriloquism have both been folded into minor illusion.

For some of the others, I've got you covered! Glitterdust (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2017/03/fey-spells.html) and whispering wind (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2017/10/elemental-spells-wind.html). Though the latter is kind of replaced by skywrite; I only re-introduced it because skywrite isn't SRD so we can't use when we publish under the OGL.

Don't know about doom and protection from arrows...

randomodo
2018-02-18, 03:12 PM
Magic Fang/greater magic fang. Is there any way for beastmaster rangers to help their pets overcome damage resistance/immunity?

Ninja_Prawn
2018-02-18, 03:31 PM
Magic Fang/greater magic fang. Is there any way for beastmaster rangers to help their pets overcome damage resistance/immunity?

Not that I know of, unless you'd allow magic weapon to apply to natural weapons. I'd probably allow that in practice, though it's not on the ranger list, so...

Hrugner
2018-02-18, 03:58 PM
Faerie Fire is pretty close to glitterdust. It doesn't blind though which is a problem, and it's probably not on the right spell list either. You could probably add upcasting to faerie fire adding additional effects.

randomodo
2018-02-18, 03:59 PM
I hope, that whenever they get around to officially revising The Beastmaster Ranger, which I expect to happen sometime around the year 2025 or so, that they will include some way either as a class feature or an additional spell, to augment pet capability