PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Cover questions

Alpha115
2018-02-18, 01:58 PM
So my players were in a fight on some boats in a lake, the players were fighting some flying pirate airships and one player was focusing fire on one ship specifically. The ship took enough damage to start falling, I made a roll and the driver of the ship decided to crash into the player who caused the ship to fall (basically a suicide charge). The player tried to avoid the damage by claiming I am behind full cover, but I feel like cover is a moot point when a flying vehicle crashes into you. the player's cover was made of wood vs a falling metal/wooden vehicle on fire. I told the player that they would take 3D10 damage from the crash, but they seemed upset about getting hurt. Did I do something unfair or wrong with my ruling?

DeTess
2018-02-18, 02:01 PM
So my players were in a fight on some boats in a lake, the players were fighting some flying pirate airships and one player was focusing fire on one ship specifically. The ship took enough damage to start falling, I made a roll and the driver of the ship decided to crash into the player who caused the ship to fall (basically a suicide charge). The player tried to avoid the damage by claiming I am behind full cover, but I feel like cover is a moot point when a flying vehicle crashes into you. the player's cover was made of wood vs a falling metal/wooden vehicle on fire. I told the player that they would take 3D10 damage from the crash, but they seemed upset about getting hurt. Did I do something unfair or wrong with my ruling?

The cover indeed wouldn't have mattered(unless it was large enough that the airship pilot couldn't know where the players was). That having been said, I would have given the player a fairly low-DC Reflex save against the damage, as a crashing airship is something that most people should at least have a chance at dodging.

Alpha115
2018-02-18, 02:03 PM
I actually wanted to offer a save but the player refused to leave their cover. They thought they would be safe. The airship was a smaller one the driver could see the sorcerer flinging spells at him, but it was also only 30 feet away from the player.

Throne12
2018-02-18, 03:12 PM
You pick up your phone get on YouTube look up cars going through buildings and play it for your player then ask if he/she would like to make a dex save to jump out of the way or keep hiding behind that wet paper wall and take the Xd10 of damage.

JackPhoenix
2018-02-19, 02:56 AM
Cover only works when it can actually physically stop the attack. Hiding behind sheet of paper can give you cover against spitball, but it won't do anything against bullets. Few wooden planks may save you from arrows, but not from cannonball or from falling airship.

I fully agree and support your decision.

Reynaert
2018-02-19, 03:41 AM
I actually wanted to offer a save but the player refused to leave their cover. They thought they would be safe. The airship was a smaller one the driver could see the sorcerer flinging spells at him, but it was also only 30 feet away from the player.

The player refused to leave their cover because he believed the world worked in a certain way. So if you tell him "It doesn't work that way and you will get hurt" he should have gotten a save anyway.

"You hide behind the flimsy wall, believing it would shield you from the airship, but as it looms closer you realize the foolishness and you instinctively try to dive out of the way. Make a save."

Alpha115
2018-02-19, 05:40 AM
The player refused to leave their cover because he believed the world worked in a certain way. So if you tell him "It doesn't work that way and you will get hurt" he should have gotten a save anyway.

"You hide behind the flimsy wall, believing it would shield you from the airship, but as it looms closer you realize the foolishness and you instinctively try to dive out of the way. Make a save."

I did tell him his cover would not stop the crashing vehicle, but again they believed their AC was so high that they were untouchable. They refused to make their save which I did interpret them as willing to fail their save.

DarkKnightJin
2018-02-19, 05:47 AM
I did tell him his cover would not stop the crashing vehicle, but again they believed their AC was so high that they were untouchable. They refused to make their save which I did interpret them as willing to fail their save.

Yeah.. AC is gonna do squat against a GODS-DAMNED AIRSHIP on a direct ramming course.

For the same reason a Fireball isn't an attack vs AC.
It's not something that has to actively be aimed for precision.

I support your decision whole heartedly.

Cespenar
2018-02-19, 08:27 AM

Refused to make their save? We can do that?

"The mage casts Fireball. Player A, make a save."

"... I refuse."

I mean, admittedly it's kinda cool in a Matrix-like way, but still.

Alpha115
2018-02-19, 10:51 AM
Refused to make their save? We can do that?

"The mage casts Fireball. Player A, make a save."

"... I refuse."

I mean, admittedly it's kinda cool in a Matrix-like way, but still.

I mean, there is no official rule for it, but at the time I had to make a decision. The player was going to take damage from the crash, and if they don't want to even roll the save to take half damage I did not want to force them to. after looking it up recently Mike mearls is cool with letting you willingly fail a save, granted why would you not want to do it is beyond me.

Cespenar
2018-02-19, 10:59 AM
I mean, there is no official rule for it, but at the time I had to make a decision. The player was going to take damage from the crash, and if they don't want to even roll the save to take half damage I did not want to force them to. after looking it up recently Mike mearls is cool with letting you willingly fail a save, granted why would you not want to do it is beyond me.

I got the feeling that he refused the notion of the save itself, rather than wanting to fail it. Like "I shouldn't be rolling a save against this thing, my AC and cover should be defense enough."

Malifice
2018-02-19, 11:03 AM

Get the player to stand inside a Telephone booth near your house.

Then crash a helicopter into it.

Alpha115
2018-02-19, 12:17 PM
I got the feeling that he refused the notion of the save itself, rather than wanting to fail it. Like "I shouldn't be rolling a save against this thing, my AC and cover should be defense enough."

Yeah he is a bit of a stubborn player, and he mixes up a lot of rules between editions or misinterprets them.

DarkKnightJin
2018-02-19, 04:14 PM
As I said before.. High AC and cover isn't really going to do anything against a crashing airship.

Maybe, if he goes "I'm in cover, I'll be fine", you go "You're in cover NOW. In 3 seconds, you won't be, because the crashing airship will have plowed straight through that. So, you wanna stay put?"
Then, put on your best DM face, and ask them if they are really sure they want to do that.
There's a good reason that particular phrase is called out in the PHB disclaimer, right after the 'warning' about angering a dragon of any variety.