PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Druid Lvl 4. ASI or feat?

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-02-18, 05:48 PM
Hey everybody I'm probably thinking about this too early but it's my first character and I'm enjoying planning way too far ahead. We are running through SKT. Party consists of Fighter(Samurai), Bard(Whispers), and a Warlock(Hexblade).
Based on your experience would it be better to go for an ASI or Feat. Should I go +1 wis and con then at lvl 8 take Resilient Con, Or take observant now to get my +1 wis?

I guess the essence of my question comes down to, would it be better to get my casting stat to 18 first or resilient Con so that i can do better on my concentration checks?

----
Druid 2 (Moon)
Human Variant (Warcaster)
Stealth, Arcana, Insight, Perception, Survival
----
This could all be moot if my dm let's me switch my dex and con scores. In which case I would 100% go ASI and get 18 con and wisdom.

MxKit
2018-02-18, 06:41 PM
Druids benefit a lot from being able to pass concentration saves more consistently, and you'll get your Wis to 18 either way. So I'd personally go +1 Wis/+1 Con at level 4 and then snag Resilient (Con) at lv8.

IMO it'll be better for you to have 18 Wis, 16 Con, and Con proficiency by lv8 than to have just the 18 Wis and better passive Investigation and Perception checks, a 14 Con, and nothing boosting your concentration saves.

Citan
2018-02-18, 08:18 PM
Hey everybody I'm probably thinking about this too early but it's my first character and I'm enjoying planning way too far ahead. We are running through SKT. Party consists of Fighter(Samurai), Bard(Whispers), and a Warlock(Hexblade).
Based on your experience would it be better to go for an ASI or Feat. Should I go +1 wis and con then at lvl 8 take Resilient Con, Or take observant now to get my +1 wis?

I guess the essence of my question comes down to, would it be better to get my casting stat to 18 first or resilient Con so that i can do better on my concentration checks?

----
Druid 2 (Moon)
Human Variant (Warcaster)
Stealth, Arcana, Insight, Perception, Survival
----
This could all be moot if my dm let's me switch my dex and con scores. In which case I would 100% go ASI and get 18 con and wisdom.
Hi!
Well, I understand your conundrum. Your are potentially the best, by very far, in all the important Wisdom skills.
Yet many good Druid spells are concentration.

So I'd ask...
- Are you usually being the party scout/trap detector, or are you planning to be it?
- Did the Bard learn Enhance Ability?
1. Yes/no: then no doubt, pick Observant. I don't know that book but IIRC people tend to say it's a challenge. Knowing what's ahead of you will be necessary.

2. Yes/yes: then it's a mixed bag: Enhance Ability is a heavy cost for your level, and doesn't guarantee your success, but it does boost your chances quite a bit. It may be sufficient for you to favor Resilient: Con instead.

3. No/whatever: then you don't really need Observant, at least right now. Pick Resilient: Con or +1CON and +1WIS, depending on next question.

- Are you often threatened to lose concentration?
If yes, then actually Warcaster may be even better now, but Resilient: Constitution would be better in the long run: pick it now and even it and WIS at 8.
If no, then you can rather even DEX and WIS.
DEX is not that bad a choice: boost your AC by 1 (a few less attacks hitting), your Initiative by one (a bit more chance to open fight with encounter-shaping spell).
Of course, +1 CON and WIS works well too. :)

Quoz
2018-02-19, 07:29 AM
Do remember that as a moon druid you use your beast shape's con while wild shaped. Proficiency will always help, but your human form score may not.

So really, it is about how you play. If you are primarily relying on casting spells that require saves or spell attacks, raise Wis early. If you primarily cast a buff then turn into a bear, get con prof. With proficiency and permanent advantage you will probably not blow many concentration saves in your career.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-02-24, 07:38 PM
Sorry about how long it's taken to respond, I completely forgot that I posted this. My DM approved me moving my scores around a bit since we'd gotten rid of the primary reason that my charisma was at 16. (switched from Magic initiate:warlock to warcaster) So now I have 9 16 17 12 17 14. I'm going to take my ASI at 4 and move both con and wis to 18. After that we'll see how the game actually goes for what happens at 8.

Unfortunately we haven't gotten the groove of how we're going to do combat yet. So I'm not sure how I'll end up playing mostly. Our first session ended with one of us down and the others about to follow. Session two only had one fight with a goblin and that was me going solo against it in a hayloft. Next session we have a horde of orcs coming over an embankment at us.

Thanks for the help.

Protato
2018-02-25, 12:31 AM
I say to go Con +1 and Wis +1, then max out Wis ASAP from there.

Citan
2018-02-25, 05:48 AM
Sorry about how long it's taken to respond, I completely forgot that I posted this. My DM approved me moving my scores around a bit since we'd gotten rid of the primary reason that my charisma was at 16. (switched from Magic initiate:warlock to warcaster) So now I have 9 16 17 12 17 14. I'm going to take my ASI at 4 and move both con and wis to 18. After that we'll see how the game actually goes for what happens at 8.

Thanks for the help.
Hey ;)
Perfect! Those are great stats for your character and it's indeed the best way to go with first ASI. Have fun!