PDA

View Full Version : Tech Help Computer Is Updating... Weirdly

JNAProductions
2018-02-18, 09:46 PM
So, my laptop has been updating for a while. As in, every time I leave it on for a while, it restarts, gets about halfway through installing updates, and fails. This takes around fifteen minutes for it to try to update, fail, reinstall the old windows, and get me logged on, and I am just frustrated as heck.

Any help?

Kato
2018-02-19, 02:52 AM
So, my laptop has been updating for a while. As in, every time I leave it on for a while, it restarts, gets about halfway through installing updates, and fails. This takes around fifteen minutes for it to try to update, fail, reinstall the old windows, and get me logged on, and I am just frustrated as heck.

Any help?

I remember this happening to me a few years back... Cause was likely some corrupt file at some crucial point.
I tried a bunch of things the internet suggested, including just allowing it to try / repeat the process a few times but sadly nothing worked. I ended up reinstalling windows. If you have a recovery point or something you might be able to avoid this.. In case you can access safe mode maybe you can try something else but pessimistic me fears you might have bad luck here.

Sermil
2018-02-19, 01:41 PM
If you go to Windows Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer, it will show you a bunch of low-level logs about what Windows is doing.

There might be something under Windows Logs -> Setup or Windows Logs -> System.

Unfortunately, almost all computers, even ones operating well, will have multiple "error"-level events in the logs, so you'll need to check the exact time that the update failed and look around then.

But if you can find the exact error message, you'll have much better luck with Google.

snowblizz
2018-02-20, 03:41 AM
Didn't specify which Windows version, am assuming 10.

If you go to settings and update it also has a log of what it recently tried to do there. If you got an error code you can copy that and google.

I've had 2 things in Win10 that sounds a lot like what you experience.

1st was a corruption somewhere during an install. I did a re-install of 10 through the boot-up menu, sort of a factory reset. Certain anti-virus programs can do this. My case was an AVG install that botched/interfered with Windwos Update.

2nd was recently on my Surface kept doing major install that failed. Cause: not enough disk space to run in the entire OS again (twice, old + update + new) due to Creators Fall update (essentially equivalent to a new windows version). While checking my issue I noticed loads of cheapo laptops had this problem since they were only equipped with 32gb flash drives for diskspace.

Check what it's trying to install, again from windows update page in settings.

Bohandas
2018-03-16, 03:10 AM
There might not be enough space on the drive.

Personally I reccommend that unless you've got classified documents on your computer or something you turn updates off by downloading Winaero Tweaker and setting it to disable updates and then setting all your web connections as metered connections.

Brother Oni
2018-03-16, 07:39 AM
Please note that Bohandas' advice to turn off updates should be taken at your own risk as your computer will soon have outdated protection against malware/viruses and the like.