PDA

View Full Version : 5E monk with lots of gold (1000 platinum) suggestions?

ngc7293
2018-02-18, 10:58 PM
Like it says on the boiler plate.
I am playing in a typical low magic game. However the GM has saw fit to add in some magic items. We have some +1 weapons and armor and from Xanathar's Guide I got a Cape of Billowing. From our last adventure, I picked up a wand of Magic missiles.

Because of the way 5E works my monk is doing well with a 18AC. The characters are 6th level. We have a Fighter, a Cleric, Bard, a Paladin, a Rogue. I think Everyone can benefit some way.

I would like some ideas how a monk might use this much gold.

Thanks.

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-02-18, 11:18 PM
Depend on the kind of monk. Mine would build a new monastery in the mountains. Other monks might use it to help the community or them selves. Depend on personality.

Tiadoppler
2018-02-19, 12:38 AM
Are you looking for combat benefit? Lifetime supply of healing potions: they supply you with a lifetime.

Maybe setting up a home base for you/your party? A house/place of business/workshop? A ship/airship?

It all depends on what the character wants out of life. Are they charitable? Hedonistic? Generous to their friends?

ngc7293
2018-02-19, 12:53 AM
We are in the middle of an adventure right now, recovering artifacts from an old adventuring party, etc.

The GM allowed me to build the monk so he could flurry with swords so is wielding this pair of cursed swords (part of the adventure).

The character is a heroic swashbuckler type even though he is a monk. He doesn't fit the mold of the typical monk. I took Way of the Shadow so I also see him as a kind of Ninja if that makes any sense. Once again, not very Monk like. The Character is Lawful Good. In any normal game he might make a perfect monk.

The only problem with the suggestion is that we are moving around a lot. I can see giving the money away much like a Paladin might. I was hoping to actually do something with it.

ngc7293
2018-02-19, 12:56 AM
Are you looking for combat benefit? Lifetime supply of healing potions: they supply you with a lifetime.

Maybe setting up a home base for you/your party? A house/place of business/workshop? A ship/airship?

It all depends on what the character wants out of life. Are they charitable? Hedonistic? Generous to their friends?

I could see giving money to to other players. But that is almost me.
Our situation doesn't see setting up a base. We are moving around a lot.
I would have to ask about the airship I have no clue how much that would cost. Also for the area we are in, I don't know who would build it.

Protato
2018-02-19, 01:08 AM
A Tome of Understanding would be a nice Magic Item for you, raise your Wisdom to 22. Additionally, anything to help your Stealth is good to keep around, as are weapon upgrades, simple as they might be. Also think about items like the Decanter of Endless Water, they're Uncommon and have out-of-combat utility but they can allow for problem solving.

Spacehamster
2018-02-19, 01:51 AM
A Tome of Understanding would be a nice Magic Item for you, raise your Wisdom to 22. Additionally, anything to help your Stealth is good to keep around, as are weapon upgrades, simple as they might be. Also think about items like the Decanter of Endless Water, they're Uncommon and have out-of-combat utility but they can allow for problem solving.

Why not a DEX tome instead? Same AC increase plus +1 on attacks and damage and initiative. :)

MrStabby
2018-02-19, 03:03 AM
Going from memory so may need checking... Se if you can pick up the ritual caster feat through downtime/paying a teacher.

I think there are a number of spells with expensive material component that this would give you access to.

JackPhoenix
2018-02-19, 03:10 AM
10k gp isn't that much. It's definitely not enough for legendary item like stat tomes. Hell, if you're using rules from Xanathar, it's enough for rare item... maybe... and very rare items are also out of your reach. So are most strongholds, using the prices from DMG.

You can hire some mercenaries, you can invest in rare spell components (diamonds for Resurrection are 1000 gp), what other options pretty much depends on what your GM allows.

Spacehamster
2018-02-19, 03:13 AM
10k gp isn't that much. It's definitely not enough for legendary item like stat tomes. Hell, if you're using rules from Xanathar, it's enough for rare item... maybe... and very rare items are also out of your reach. So are most strongholds, using the prices from DMG.

You can hire some mercenaries, you can invest in rare spell components (diamonds for Resurrection are 1000 gp), what other options pretty much depends on what your GM allows.

Stat tomes are very rare not legendary if memory serves.

JackPhoenix
2018-02-19, 03:49 AM
Stat tomes are very rare not legendary if memory serves.

Huh... you're right, should've checked instead of going from memory. Still, rare items are are 1d4+1*10k gp, and you have to be lucky to get tome instead of any other item. Using the same rules (Xanathar), you have to get 31-35 on Persuasion check (with +1 bonus per 100gp spent just searching for seller, up to 10) to get access to treasure table H that contains tomes, and you get 1d4 random picks, which the tomes share with about 60 other items. Though if you look for specific items, you can get it with DC 25.

Malifice
2018-02-19, 04:40 AM
Like it says on the boiler plate.
I am playing in a typical low magic game. However the GM has saw fit to add in some magic items. We have some +1 weapons and armor and from Xanathar's Guide I got a Cape of Billowing. From our last adventure, I picked up a wand of Magic missiles.

Because of the way 5E works my monk is doing well with a 18AC. The characters are 6th level. We have a Fighter, a Cleric, Bard, a Paladin, a Rogue. I think Everyone can benefit some way.

I would like some ideas how a monk might use this much gold.

Thanks.

Donate it to your temple.

You are religious right?

the_brazenburn
2018-02-19, 07:31 AM
Donate it to your temple.

You are religious right?

Malifice, 5e monks are Eastern themed, not Western "monastery" themed. They aren't based on religion, they're based on skill and training.

I'm assuming you already knew that and are just on here to be a pest. Have fun on my ignore list, and I beg others on this thread to do the same.

OP, I would suggest buying lots of Longevity Potions, then donating the rest to something that will accomplish a goal of yours over time (like a church, or an orphanage). Using the longevity potions, you'll actually get a chance to see the good you've done.

Or, if you are evil, spend it on a Doomsday device and blow up Neverwinter. Happy?

Shulk
2018-02-20, 03:36 PM
Buy a bag of holding and as much caltrops, ball berrings, and other easily deployable traps as possible. Then watch as you pour it all around you and make all dex saves to avoid falling flat on your arse or stepping on said traps, while the enemies arent as fortunate.

Dudewithknives
2018-02-20, 03:39 PM
Umm, retire, open a dojo.

Armored Walrus
2018-02-20, 05:19 PM
You could get a lot of hirelings with that. Since you're a ninja pirate, make sure you hire alien robot sharks.

Some hirelings that might come in handy...

A medic - hire someone with proficiency in Medical,and outfit them with a couple dozen healers kits. Their only job is to hang back in a fight, but rush forward and revive anyone that goes down. Bonus points if you can hire someone that has the Healer feat.

A torchbearer. You don't say your race, or your party's race, but if any of you lack darkvision, hire some folks to carry torches so you don't have to use up a hand doing so. Hooded lanterns would be even better, and you have the money for them.

A camp follower - to mend your clothes, maintain your weapons, make your meals. Sure that's all fluff, but it could still be cool, and think of all the hooks you're giving your DM.

A porter. Can't have all that platinum weighing you down in battle. Hire someone to carry it for you.

Guards. Make sure your porter doesn't carry your platinum away from you.

Note, these ideas are based on the idea of keeping your campaign "low magic." If your DM is letting you buy magic items out of the book, then the posts above may be more useful to you.

Easy_Lee
2018-02-20, 05:31 PM
Pay a druid to Awaken five animals: a monkey, snake, tiger, mantis, and crane. Train them in martial arts. You are the Kung Fu Panda.

8wGremlin
2018-02-20, 05:40 PM
Start a business, get people to run it for you?

Armored Walrus
2018-02-20, 05:43 PM
Start a business, get people to run it for you?

Speaking from real world experience, trying to turn a profit in a business by just throwing money at a location that you're rarely going to visit is a good way to have 1000 fewer platinum pieces.

But it is a fantasy game, so OP, don't let that deter you. ;)

Malifice
2018-02-20, 08:27 PM
Malifice, 5e monks are Eastern themed, not Western "monastery" themed. They aren't based on religion, they're based on skill and training.

Those mercantile Shaolin monks eh?

Different from Western monks when it comes to money.

KorvinStarmast
2018-02-20, 11:54 PM
5E monk with lots of gold (1000 platinum) suggestions?
1. Vegas
1a. Hookers and blow :smallbiggrin:

OK, maybe that's not the cut of your monk's jib, so ...
==========================
Umm, retire, open a dojo.
Very good choice.

Pay a druid to Awaken five animals: a monkey, snake, tiger, mantis, and crane. Train them in martial arts. You are the Kung Fu Panda. Also a fine choice.

4. The stat manual strikes me as best value for money. A +2 dex is a nice choice, and if you already have 20 the chance to hit 22 is nicer.

Malifice
2018-02-21, 12:28 AM
Designer sunglasses, a LV handbag, and private jet?

http://www.michelleparsons.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/jet-set-monk.jpg

Seriously though OP. You're a monk. Likely a member of a religious order, devoted to steering clear of material possessions and wealth.

That was my point.

It's not true in all circumstances for all Monks though.

Tell me more about your monk. Whats his story?

Quoz
2018-02-21, 04:18 AM
Make a large 'donation' to a mages guild or university, in exchange for divination support. Get a bunch of low-mid level mages to give you Intel on whatever quests or dungeons you are raiding, research on bosses, ect. May also give you a source for scrolls, potions, and other magic expendable.

Anonymouswizard
2018-02-21, 07:41 AM

Okay, I'm going to go one further than you. 5e monks are based off of Chinese monks, most specifically the Shaolin and Wudang sects if I'm not mistaken, who would sometimes learn marital arts from soldiers who had retired and become fellow monks. The two biggest religions in China, and those with the greatest numbers of monks both today and historically, are Daoism/Taoism and Buddhism. Saying that 'eastern' monks weren't based on religion is to ignore the complex and still living religions they can and did follow.

Now, a valid argument would be '5e has attempted to separate class and background, and the monk class is not assumed to reflect a religious occupation, the acolyte background does'. The 5e monk class does not make characters part of a religion, although it is still implied in the 'default' flavour.

KorvinStarmast
2018-02-21, 09:37 AM
Now, a valid argument would be '5e has attempted to separate class and background, and the monk class is not assumed to reflect a religious occupation, the acolyte background does'. The 5e monk class does not make characters part of a religion, although it is still implied in the 'default' flavour.
Hmm, proficiencies for the out of the box monk include choices of:

Skills: Choose two from Acrobatics, Athletics, History, Insight, Religion, and Stealth I don't have the phb 'quick build' available at the moment, but I may update this when I am not AFB.