PDA

View Full Version : Shadow sorcerer feat help

sflame56
2018-02-19, 12:32 AM
So I am planning on building a shadow sorcerer soon and I need some help deciding on which feat I want.
Going to be a vhuman lvl 1 so I can grab one lvl one and I will be using point buy. Some ideas I had were Lucky since its good all around, magic initiate for find familiar which can help with touch spells, resilient (dex) for proficiency in a super common saving throw and I can have 2 more points for point buy, tough to help out with my low hp, spell sniper to help out with chaos bolt and scorching ray, finally war caster since its good all round.

My ability scores will be,
Str:8
Dex: 14
Con: 16
Int: 8
Wis: 10
Cha: 16

Blood of Gaea
2018-02-19, 01:08 AM
Magic Initiate for Find Familiar isn't a bad idea, though with Wizards an Sorcerers sharing most of their Cantrip pool, you'll have a lot of overlap in choice. I would avoid Resilient (Dex) because you don't have an odd Dex score (which means the +1 is wasted). Spell Sniper is nice, but only if you plan to do a lot of blasting, I would probably choose Eldritch Blast for the cantrip, giving you force damage at 240ft range. Warcaster is a very viable perk for any caster, particularly if you decide to go the route of buffing two party members using Twinned Spell.

Of all the Feats you listed, Lucky is probably the best, dice shenanigans will always be useful, while the rest are more circumstantial, but if any of those feats fit the image you have of your build, don't hesitate to take them.

If your heart isn't set on being a human, I would seriously consider a Tiefling, as they fit well thematically and mechanically with your class choice.

sflame56
2018-02-19, 01:29 AM
If your heart isn't set on being a human, I would seriously consider a Tiefling, as they fit well thematically and mechanically with your class choice.

I was mostly thinking v human since I want to try and have a 16 con early since I have such a low hit die pool. I would also get a feat I need and then only focus on stats maxing cha and con first.

Blood of Gaea
2018-02-19, 01:40 AM
I was mostly thinking v human since I want to try and have a 16 con early since I have such a low hit die pool. I would also get a feat I need and then only focus on stats maxing cha and con first.
What are your stats before racial bonuses? With your character class, I wouldn't say there's any particular feat you'll be really hurting for, not that a feat isn't still a strong option.

sflame56
2018-02-19, 01:41 AM
What are you stats before racial bonuses?

All the same except con and cha would be 15 each since I put the +1 into them both from human.

Blood of Gaea
2018-02-19, 01:52 AM
All the same except con and cha would be 15 each since I put the +1 into them both from human.

Yeah, in that case, I would probably go with Variant Human and pick up the Lucky or Warcaster feat.

Byke
2018-02-19, 08:14 AM
Other options:

1/2 Drow variant (or Tief)

The only feats you should be thinking of is + 2 Char to 20 or if you have an odd char stat Eleven accuracy to abuse the darkness cheese from Shadow Sorcerer/1/2 Drow.

After that it's to personal taste, but I always grab Lucky...just to good.

wallyd2
2018-02-20, 10:55 AM
For my Level 11 Mountain Dwarf Shadow Sorcerer I chose the following Feats:

TOUGH: Since he is a former soldier, he will charge into battle with darkness cast on his battle axe, my Dwarven Sorcerer is gonna need some extra HP

SKILLED: My sorcerer was only proficient in four skills so I picked up (Stealth, Acrobatics, Perception)

Vogie
2018-02-20, 11:00 AM
You could get a bit of Magic initiate with a 1 level dip into Warlock - Raven Queen patron. You'll get a Raven Faux-miliar, and an expanded cantrip list, including EB.