PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Cleric Prayer/Item Suggestions??

morganpeister
2018-02-19, 12:57 AM
My party of 4 recently got thrown in prison in place of our escaped opponents for their crimes (crashed lightning rail, 620+ dead, a stolen, magical artifact, etc) and I figured while we wait there wasnt anything else to do but pray to my beloved diety, the Church of the Silver Flame. I play a level 3 Changeling Cleric/Rogueeweew and my domains are Protection and Exorcism, and our DM said he would be open to reasonable prayers.
So please leave some suggestions for reasonable prayers to enhance my character (or items that the articifers can build?) My party consists of a Warforged Druid, Changeling Artificer, and a Warforged Monk/Artificer cross class, and me, the Cleric/Rogue cross. Thanks in advance!! :)
Also if you just want to know more about the process of us getting thrown in jail I would be happy to explain it.

Goaty14
2018-02-19, 12:15 PM
So erm... You want roleplaying advice? You provided some stuff about your party, which is nice, but what is your character doing? It'd be pretty weird if your DM knows that your character is desperate for revenge that was done to his family long ago- blah blah blah, but now he's in prison asking his deity for ultimate power so he can go off and collect all of the artifacts to become a deit-blah blah blah. It'd be pretty weird.

TL;DR A nice background of what your character wants to do would be nice to know :smallsmile:

As for items: How the prison guards are gleefully willing to let the artificer just craft whatever he wants for the time he's there is beyond me. Either you want something that would help you escape (digging items, etc), but you made the request for cleric-specific items (buuut you're also a rogue -- would be nice to know what sort of playstyle you're aiming for: a sneaky type or something else? Usually when I want class-specific advice, I type "D&D 3.5 _________ handbook" into search engine for a comprehensive guide of "______" class. Specifically, I found:

A cleric's gear is nearly as important to him as his spells, so don't neglect it. Below are some essential pieces to pack.

Armor: Plan to buy the best armor you can afford, and carry a heavy shield as well -- you'll never regret having a formidable Armor Class. And don't overlook other defensive items you can wear, such as rings of protection and amulets of natural armor. Several lesser items whose benefits stack give you better protection, and at a cheaper price, than one big item.

If you do a lot of wilderness adventuring, consider some backup armor, such as a suit of studded leather (or a mithral chain shirt if you can afford it) to wear at night. If you try to sleep in heavy armor, you'll have penalties the next day. But if you sleep in your skivvies, you'll be in trouble if you're attacked during the night.

Melee Weapon: You're pretty good in combat, so be prepared to fight. A heavy mace or morningstar packs the most punch. Alternatively, if you have the War domain and the right deity, you can get access to a martial weapon, which may be much better than any of the simple ones.

Ranged Weapon: A light crossbow can prove as effective as a low-level attack spell against some opponents. Use it when the opposition isn't threatening enough to merit the use of your spells. You might also consider a heavy crossbow -- a deadly weapon, even though reloading it is a slow process. That reload time might not bother you too much, though, because you might find that casting a spell or entering melee is more worthwhile than taking a second shot.

Backup Spells: You never know when you'll run out of spells. Furthermore, you never know when you'll need a particular spell -- and need it very badly. So it pays to keep some spellcasting power in reserve via a collection of scrolls, wands, or both. Scrolls are a great way to carry along useful spells (such as remove blindness/deafness, dispel magic, or remove disease) that you might not use in every adventure. Best of all, if you have the Scribe Scroll feat, you can make scrolls yourself, though doing so uses up time, money, and experience points. Wands are useful for bread-and-butter spells that you use often, especially healing spells such as cure light wounds.

Important Equipment for any Cleric

Nightstick (Libris Mortis)
The Nightstick is a potent item that grants its owner additional turning attempts. It is typically used to fuel Divine Metamagic. It is unclear whether multiple Nightsticks grant multiple attempts.

Strand of Prayer Beads
Of particular note is the Bead of Karma that boosts your caster level. Its a powerful effect that is hard to duplicate.

Ankh of Ascension (Races of Faerun)
This gives +4 to your caster level for all numeric aspects related to Caster level when you cast a spell

Ring of Sustenance
This ring continually provides its wearer with life-sustaining nourishment. The ring also refreshes the body and mind, so that its wearer needs only sleep 2 hours per day to gain the benefit of 8 hours of sleep. The ring must be worn for a full week before it begins to work. If it is removed, the owner must wear it for another week to reattune it to himself.

Metamagic Rods
These awesome rods duplicate the effect of certain metamagic feats. There are additional rods in Complete Arcane.

Useful Equipment for Some Clerics

Monk's Belt
If for some reason you forgo the use of your heavy armor, you'll want to pick this up for WIS to AC.

TL;DR Either give santa the artificer a wish list of things to help you get out or things to help your character. It'd be nice to know what sort of character you're optimizing for so we could set you in the right direction.

Palanan
2018-02-19, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by morganpeister
Cleric/Rogueeweew

...what is this? :smallconfused:

morganpeister
2018-02-19, 05:42 PM
...what is this? :smallconfused:
I honestly don't know haha. I posted this a 11:57 PM my time so...

morganpeister
2018-02-19, 09:56 PM
So erm... You want roleplaying advice? You provided some stuff about your party, which is nice, but what is your character doing? It'd be pretty weird if your DM knows that your character is desperate for revenge that was done to his family long ago- blah blah blah, but now he's in prison asking his deity for ultimate power so he can go off and collect all of the artifacts to become a deit-blah blah blah. It'd be pretty weird.

TL;DR A nice background of what your character wants to do would be nice to know :smallsmile:

As for items: How the prison guards are gleefully willing to let the artificer just craft whatever he wants for the time he's there is beyond me. Either you want something that would help you escape (digging items, etc), but you made the request for cleric-specific items (buuut you're also a rogue -- would be nice to know what sort of playstyle you're aiming for: a sneaky type or something else? Usually when I want class-specific advice, I type "D&D 3.5 _________ handbook" into search engine for a comprehensive guide of "______" class. Specifically, I found:

TL;DR Either give santa the artificer a wish list of things to help you get out or things to help your character. It'd be nice to know what sort of character you're optimizing for so we could set you in the right direction.

Thank you for the link, and sorry for the vagueness.
My character is an apprentice of the Silver Flame, the rogue part is for stealth, though I havent found a way to use it much yet. I am a "scaveneger" for the Church. My mentor and I recover artifacts for the Church. And I was wanting to include the rogue part as a stealth (sneaky) mechanism, but it doesnt seem to be working as well as I thought it would...

By items for artificers to build, I meant for later, not while we were in the prison lol. I'm not looking for a blessing from my diety to get us out, rather, a blessing like an ability or permanent buff.
I'm not orienteering towards more rogue, but I would like to benefit more from it to gain more stealth. I like using spells the most, but my character has a shotbow, dagger, and throwing knife. He has a pendant of darkvision currently, and of course his holy symbol.

BowStreetRunner
2018-02-19, 11:19 PM
I've never found cleric/rogue to be particular good at being stealthy. Being from a LG church makes the combination even more awkward. But if you figure out how to do it successfully, I'd love to hear about it. :smallbiggrin:

Are you planning on advancing the Search & Disable Device skills in support of your Trapfinding ability? If not, you may be one of the rare rogues who would consider the Antiquarian ACF from Complete Champion to be a good option. It can work like a free Identify spell under the right circumstances, so it you aren't taking advantage of Trapfinding it might be worthwhile. You could always pray to retroactively pick this up.

What about Sneak Attack? I don't know how that fits with the way you intend to role-play your alignment. There is a Rogue variant in Unearthed Arcana that gets Fighter Bonus Feats instead of Sneak Attack. Again, this might be something that works better for you.

How about the Able Learner feat from Races of Destiny? Pray to be allowed to pick that up (P 116 mentions that Able Learner should be available to changelings, even though it isn't mentioned in the feat description) retroactively too. That would make your rogue skills able to continue to advance as a cleric.

morganpeister
2018-02-19, 11:48 PM
I've never found cleric/rogue to be particular good at being stealthy. Being from a LG church makes the combination even more awkward. But if you figure out how to do it successfully, I'd love to hear about it. :smallbiggrin:

Are you planning on advancing the Search & Disable Device skills in support of your Trapfinding ability? If not, you may be one of the rare rogues who would consider the Antiquarian ACF from Complete Champion to be a good option. It can work like a free Identify spell under the right circumstances, so it you aren't taking advantage of Trapfinding it might be worthwhile. You could always pray to retroactively pick this up.

What about Sneak Attack? I don't know how that fits with the way you intend to role-play your alignment. There is a Rogue variant in Unearthed Arcana that gets Fighter Bonus Feats instead of Sneak Attack. Again, this might be something that works better for you.

How about the Able Learner feat from Races of Destiny? Pray to be allowed to pick that up (P 116 mentions that Able Learner should be available to changelings, even though it isn't mentioned in the feat description) retroactively too. That would make your rogue skills able to continue to advance as a cleric.
Thank you so much!! :)
I will definitely look at trading the trapfinding ability for something because our DM allows Artificers to identify traps.
My character is NG so I think this will work for him. Thanks again!!!