PDA

View Full Version : Player Help What would a proud dwarf polymorph into?

Nebuul
2018-02-19, 01:56 AM
For a game where the only allowed source of monsters is the 3.5 Monster Manual, what would you pick as polymorph forms for a dwarf fighter who is proud to be a dwarf and doesn't want to be some nasty trash race? Basically the forms need to be something a good-aligned dwarf would respect and not look upon with disdain.

Any suggestions?

RFLS
2018-02-19, 02:13 AM
For a game where the only allowed source of monsters is the 3.5 Monster Manual, what would you pick as polymorph forms for a dwarf fighter who is proud to be a dwarf and doesn't want to be some nasty trash race? Basically the forms need to be something a good-aligned dwarf would respect and not look upon with disdain.

Any suggestions?

Don't be racist.

The angels are all good bets. Nice abilities, nothing "nasty" about them. Dragons for the same reasons. Unicorn if that fills a niche you need. Some of the fey, but I dunno if your dwarf would feel that they're "nasty."

Calthropstu
2018-02-19, 02:26 AM
No fey as those are too elf-like. Damnable elves.

Dragons, elementals (especially earth), griffons, wyverns, bears, tigers, sharks, hydra. Powerful natural animals or magical beasts should be fine. No monstrous humanoids or other humanoids.

And he would LOVE enlarge person... I mean what could be better than a dwarf but a bigger prouder dwarf?

zergling.exe
2018-02-19, 02:34 AM
Azers and fire giants would be basically 'dwarves, but bigger! And on fire!' Don't know if that's what your dwarf would be looking for.

Uncle Pine
2018-02-19, 02:43 AM
I'm assuming you're talking about the Polymorph spell and not polymorphing effects in general (either weaker or more powerful), thus ruling out anything that isn't an aberration, animal, dragon, fey, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, ooze, plant, vermin or has more than 15 HD. With that in mind bulettes, blink dogs, dinosaurs, dire animals, non-Evil true dragons, dragon turtles, griffons, hippogriffs, razor boars, most animals and depending on your idea of "nasty" and "proud" either hydras or treants could fit the bill. I don't think any proud dwarf who defined himself as such would turn into an aberration, fey, giant, ooze, or vermin so I left those out.

Psyren
2018-02-19, 02:45 AM
I could see such a dwarf respecting the following:

- Strong animals/magical beasts that are comfortable navigating subterranean spaces (e.g. Dire Badger, Dire Bat, Bulette). Dwarves would know about these creatures, whether via domestication, coexistence, or culling their numbers, and see the value (and danger) inherent in living near them.

- Strong animals/magical beasts that symbolize dwarven virtues like honor, strength, community or ferocity (e.g. Dire Lion, Triceratops, Dire Boar, Giant Ant, Griffon). Self-explanatory, animals viewed as warriors would be seen as more acceptable.

- Creatures that are thematically connected to stone, earth or metal (e.g. Basilisk, Gorgon, Metallic Dragons - especially gold or copper). Basically any creature associated with these themes would likely be appealing to a dwarf.

In all cases, you would avoid the following:
- monsters that appear weak or frail (whether they are or not.) For example, a Cockatrice is also associated with stone, but I didn't list them alongside the basilisk because your dwarf probably wouldn't be happy looking like a weird chicken.

- Monsters seen as scavengers (e.g. rats, vermin, oozes, plants) - such comparisons would likely be seen as unflattering at best.

- Monsters for whom dwarves hold general enmity (e.g. giants, aberrations, drow). Despite the tactical adavntages of being a giant, your dwarven warrior would probably be willing to forego all of them if it meant keeping his dwarven form.

Hope the above gives you some ideas to get started :)

Calthropstu
2018-02-19, 02:53 AM
I could see such a dwarf respecting the following:

- Strong animals/magical beasts that are comfortable navigating subterranean spaces (e.g. Dire Badger, Dire Bat, Bulette). Dwarves would know about these creatures, whether via domestication, coexistence, or culling their numbers, and see the value (and danger) inherent in living near them.

- Strong animals/magical beasts that symbolize dwarven virtues like honor, strength, community or ferocity (e.g. Dire Lion, Triceratops, Dire Boar, Giant Ant, Griffon). Self-explanatory, animals viewed as warriors would be seen as more acceptable.

- Creatures that are thematically connected to stone, earth or metal (e.g. Basilisk, Gorgon, Metallic Dragons - especially gold or copper). Basically any creature associated with these themes would likely be appealing to a dwarf.

In all cases, you would avoid the following:
- monsters that appear weak or frail (whether they are or not.) For example, a Cockatrice is also associated with stone, but I didn't list them alongside the basilisk because your dwarf probably wouldn't be happy looking like a weird chicken.

- Monsters seen as scavengers (e.g. rats, vermin, oozes, plants) - such comparisons would likely be seen as unflattering at best.

- Monsters for whom dwarves hold general enmity (e.g. giants, aberrations, drow). Despite the tactical adavntages of being a giant, your dwarven warrior would probably be willing to forego all of them if it meant keeping his dwarven form.

Hope the above gives you some ideas to get started :)

Pretty much agree. That last is why I suggested enlarge person. A bigger dwarf is prefferable to a giant. A stone giant might be acceptable, but debateable.

Nebuul
2018-02-19, 03:31 AM
There's some great ideas here. I actually chose not to take Alter Self on this character because I don't think he'd want to ever be some other humanoid when he's already the best humanoid.

I wish I could find a tool to search monsters by hit dice. All the online tools search by challenge rating :smallannoyed:

Fizban
2018-02-19, 06:47 AM
When you can't ride a Rhino, turn into a Rhino.