PDA

View Full Version : "If you move" and mounts

etrpgb
2018-02-19, 04:54 AM
In the PHB often appears the sentence "if you move" and my question is: if the character is on a mount does the mount movement counts?

In some cases it is obvious, like in sentences phrased as "if you move away from..." but in others I am not sure.

Examples:

SUPREME SNEAK
Starting at 9th level, you have advantage on a Dexterity (Stealth) check if you move no more than half your speed on the same turn

Our Rogue (with a speed of 30feet/round) mounting a super silent magical spiderTM can move the mount 20feet and enjoy the advantage? Or just 15?

CHARGER
...If you move at least 10 feet in a straight line immediately before taking this bonus action...

Our Fighter mounting an horse uses Dash* and moves the horse 10feet and attacks with the bonus action granted by the feat. Does he gets the +5?

*(and actually does not move as he is on the horse... let us not think about it too much... perhaps he pushes the horse harder or something)

hymer
2018-02-19, 06:12 AM
Offhand, I'd have the super silent magical spiderTM make the stealth check, not the rogue riding it. Though I did once make a Stealth check while driving a lorry in d20 Modern game*...

And I'd give the Charging benefit to damage in the case mentioned. It's such a poor feat, I'd give every allowance, but even if that weren't the case, I feel it would be within the spirit of the rules to do so.

* Edit: https://media1.giphy.com/media/YZoCAwBTI0DSM/source.gif

DarkKnightJin
2018-02-19, 07:43 AM
The Sneak one is a bit of a DM's mess to adjudicate, I think.

The Charger one should be fine to use while mounted. Cavalry Charge and whatnot.
And honestly, they probably took the feat precisely to pull those sorts of stunts, so I'd personally let them make use of it, as well.
A Feat is no fun if you never get to make use of it.