PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A How do "take no action" spells work with legendary actions?

holywhippet
2018-02-19, 06:48 AM
If I use a spell like bestow curse or confusion on an enemy and it stops them from taking their regular turn, what happens to their legendary actions? Do they still take them as normal?

Lombra
2018-02-19, 07:23 AM
Legendary actions happen at the end of other creatures' turns, so effects that happen only during the creature's regular turn shouldn't affect them IMO. If an ability were to prevent actions altogether, like being incapacitated, not even legendaty actions could be performed.

Although I don't know if it's explicitly written otherwise somewhere.

Dr. Cliché
2018-02-19, 09:39 AM
If I use a spell like bestow curse or confusion on an enemy and it stops them from taking their regular turn, what happens to their legendary actions? Do they still take them as normal?

RAW, they can use them normally unless incapacitated.

However, if I was DM, I'd probably limit them based on the condition affecting them. For example, having a monster be Confused during its turn but then perfectly lucid at the end of another creature's turn wouldn't sit well with me.

In the case of Confusion, I'd probably rule it based on what the monster rolled on its last turn:
1 - The monster can only use Legendary Actions that involve movement/teleportation. If it does so, it must move in the same direction as it did during its turn, and with the maximum possible movement allowed by its action (barring obstacles or obvious hazards).
2-6 - Can't use Legendary Actions.
7-8 - Can only use a Legendary Action that involves an attack, and must attack the same creature it attacked during its turn.
9-10 - Can use its Legendary Action normally.

That sort of thing.

With Bestow Curse, I'm less sure. If I'm feeling generous, I might force the monster to make a wisdom save each time it wants to use a Legendary Action, losing that action on a failed save. However, I'd be tempted to just say that the curse doesn't affect Legendary Actions.