PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Shepard/Ranger build help wanted.

OzDragon
2018-02-19, 10:05 AM
We are starting a new campaign soon and we will be starting at 8th level.

My Idea is a animal summoning ranger that is good with a bow.

Starting stats are point buy and i will go with before racials Str 8 Dex 15/14 Con 12 Int 10 Wis 13 Cha 12 Either VHuman with warcaster or Tabaxi just cause.

Thoughts are to Shepard Druid x/Gloom Stalker or Horizon Walker x

The question is how should split these for 8th level and forward and which should I pick GS or HW for the ranger?

Any help is appreciated.

Madfellow
2018-02-19, 11:05 AM
Well this is tough because both druid and ranger want to hit level five as quick as possible. Might be better to go straight beastmaster.

Crgaston
2018-02-19, 11:15 AM
I like this idea... A Tabaxi with a pack of panthers would be boss!

For an archer, Gloom Stalker would give you the extra attack/movement/damage first round, your Wisdom bonus to initiative and the invisibility to darkvision trick, whereas Horizon Walker would let you use a bonus action to add 1d8 to any one hit you make within 30'. And it lets you attack with force damage. This is a great alternative to Hunter's Mark and would let you save a spell slot (and more importantly, the concentration). Take a look at the Monster Hunter, too. It's a nice thematic fit and gives you the Slayer's Prey d6 bonus action boost out to 60' along with a nice enemy assessment feature.

For 8th level, you'd want Druid 5 Ranger 3 so you can have your Animal Summoning and subclass features online. Leveling up Druid from there is going to be your best bet... maybe taking Ranger 4 for the ASI. Warcaster would help with concentration saves. Beyond that, you need Con, Dex and Wis. Ranger 5 for the extra attack is the conventional wisdom, but with extra damage from Hunter's Mark, Slayer's Prey or Planar Warrior and lots of minions on the board, it becomes much less pressing.

Sounds like a neat build with lots of potential!

rbstr
2018-02-19, 11:36 AM
He really doesn't have a problem reaching level 5 if he's starting at level 8...

Anyway, if you want to be summoning critters as your main shtick Druid 6 is probably the first thing to get to as Shepard upgrades those critters pretty significantly then.
Then it's either
Ranger 2 for Archery style, longbow proficiency ect.
Or druid 7 ranger 1 since that'll put you in level 4 spells. But you'll still get your longbow.

Whatever the case make sure to get druid 7 soon and then do ranger up to level 5 for extra attack. After that? Depends on what you're trying to focus on.
Since you're summoning critters you'll have to be really mindful of spell selection to avoid clogging up concentration. You don't get Hunter's Mark and Summoned creatures.

As far as Ranger archetypes;
Gloom Stalker is maybe a bit wasted on this build since you're going to want to summon your animals in the first round. You won't get your extra attack in that case. (Yeah yeah "summon before battle" but that means your strongest feature is awfully contingent on something you don't control well)
HW might not offer you much either depending on how far away you're trying to be from the fighting. Planar Warrior only works w/in 30 feet.
Hunter actually offers you quite a lot, it's probably more useful than the other two in this build.

Khrysaes
2018-02-19, 11:38 AM
For 8th level, you'd want Druid 5 Ranger 3 so you can have your Animal Summoning and subclass features online. Leveling up Druid from there is going to be your best bet... maybe taking Ranger 4 for the ASI. Warcaster would help with concentration saves. Beyond that, you need Con, Dex and Wis. Ranger 5 for the extra attack is the conventional wisdom, but with extra damage from Hunter's Mark, Slayer's Prey or Planar Warrior and lots of minions on the board, it becomes much less pressing.

This is a bit out there, but as the OP didn't mention that the game was AL legal, look into using the revised ranger beastmaster.

It doesnt specify that the pet levels with RANGER levels, so it could benefit from the druid levels too. If you are small size you get a free mount.

It says "For each level you gain after 3rd, your animal companion gains an additional hit die and increases its hit points accordingly" Therefore, take 3 ranger first, 5 druid after. You delay your and your pets ASI a bit, but give it health.

OzDragon
2018-02-19, 03:22 PM
OK so the build would be Non AL as it is a home game so all released content is available. Not using UA though.

OK the options are this..Tabaxi..

Shepherd 5/Gloom stalker 3 Gives me summons, extra damage as a bonus action Wis to init. Able to wildshape into anything that does not fly. 1 asi

Shepherd 6/Ranger 2 gives me the boost to summons and archery fighting style. Able to wildshape into anything that does not fly. 1asi

Want to go with gloom stalker for the bonus damage and init boost. Will get the bonus attack when I don't need to summon creatures for that fight. Also thematically because...Cat!

If I start with the first option when do I go 6 shepherd? I really want this for summons.

If I start with the second should I just finish out with Gloom Stalker or take some more druid levels later?

Crgaston
2018-02-19, 04:15 PM
If you really want the L6 Druid feature, go ahead and start 6/2. That way you’re not locked into a Ranger subclass yet.

More Druid levels will give you more summons. Ranger is good (I’m playing a Gloom Stalker right now) but I don’t think there’s anything past level 5 that’s worth giving up the Druid levels on your particular character. But it’s your concept, so what I think isn’t as important as how you see the character. And you certainly don’t have to decide immediately. Play it and see how the personality develops.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-02-19, 04:38 PM
I'll second Druid 6/Ranger 2, which seems like it'll get your main shtick online faster. Maybe grab Crossbow Expert for a little extra punch while you build towards Extra Attack.

Khrysaes
2018-02-19, 04:56 PM
If you aren't using the revised ranger, sad day. I would also recommend the 6/2 split. you get hunters mark and fighting style.

OzDragon
2018-02-19, 05:16 PM
I'll start sheperd 6/Ranger 2

Then from there I think I'll go Gloom Stalker 5/sheperd 15. This will allow 2 attacks and all the summoning I could want.

Thank you all for the input.