PDA

View Full Version : Any better way to optimize?

Dubkor
2018-02-19, 11:03 AM
Hello!

So, all of you were incredibly helpful when I first started building this character, so I thought I'd check to see if anyone has any improvements on this build/plan.

I'm playing a human (spirit lion totem) barbarian/fighter. It's currently a barbarian 2, fighter 1. My feats at current are extra rage, Reckless rage, reckless attack (-2AC for +2 attack) and power attack. I took the reckless attack as I was having very poor dice luck.

I took the whirling frenzy rage variant as well.

Going forward I'm looking at taking all fighter levels to build out my feats. My DM is okay with anything that isn't homebrew and will even allow pathfinder feats on a case by case basis.

The feats I'm looking at taking are player level 4, furious focus, player level 6 leap attack and improved furious focus, player level 8 improved sunder, player level 9 combat brute.

After that I'm kind of out of ideas, though that will be well down the road. Our DM has planned this as a very long campaign and is leveling us at a much slower rate as he doesn't want us at level 20 until the final sessions of the campaign.

Any thought on this build are highly appreciated. Any suggestions on better feats, classes to take a level in or equipment are highly appreciated. Though I will say, I don't think a magic class suits the character and along with the leveling our DM is handing out loot and gold a touch slow. I've been saving up for a masterwork great axe and am still only at just over a hundred gold.

Thanks!

Dubkor
2018-02-19, 11:06 AM
Oh, furious focus is a pathfinder feat. It allows you to not apply the negative from power attack to your first attack roll on your turn. Improved furious focus allows you to not apply it on any attack roll on your turn. You still take it on AoO.

Aimeryan
2018-02-19, 11:48 AM
So, you are going to run into the age-old problem of ubercharger's; anything you can and want to hit will die, while anything you can not or do not want to hit will be completely out of your hands. The first quickly gets boring, the second quickly gets frustrating.

Thus, optimising here in my opinion is not about adding more damage to the charge. What I would look to do here is look at being more versatile - both in combat and outside of it. Unfortunately, mundanes don't really do versatility, especially once trip and grapples fall off (too big and too magic-slippery respectively).

If you want to stay a complete mundane, then your quest for optimisation is pretty much complete - at higher levels you'll still either one-shot or no-shot things. Grab standard magic items - flight, etc.

If you want to become more versatile, I would recommend looking up some of the more interesting gish classes, particularly prioritising out-of-combat stuff to do and picking up some in combat ways to negate caster's protections (dispel, dimensional travel, etc.). Ardent with the Substitution ACF would be my base recommendation (you can even take Praticised Manifester to lose no manifesting progression from the class levels you already have taken).

Dubkor
2018-02-19, 11:58 AM
That's a little bit of a fear of mine with this character. Even for mundane characters all of the fighter levels really limit skill growth.

Falontani
2018-02-19, 09:06 PM
If your willing to I would look into the Dragonmark of Passage (its an eberron thing) which will allow you to teleport, then think about taking the Blade of Orien class. Its full bab and is all about enhancing your dragonmark of passage (which is focused on short range teleportation and faster movement). Eventually you'll be able to teleport to the caster, or just shy and then charge the caster from a range they can't avoid.