PDA

View Full Version : Fullmetal Alchemist Transmutation Wizard

Balthasaurus
2018-02-19, 11:20 AM
Basically, after having a conversation with my friend about how ridiculous a FMA Philosopher's Stone would be in D&D, I realised that they do exist, sort of, as transmuter's stones. Now I've gotten inspired to start creating a transmutation wizard/alchemist for a future D&D campaign, who travels the land searching for a way to obtain immortality. :smallbiggrin:

The problem is, most transmutation spells on the wizard spell list at early levels seem to focus on transmuting yourself: longstrider, jump, feather fall, alter self etc. I'm not opposed to taking spells like this, but they don't really fit the theme of the character that I'm trying to create. I want to focus on the more elemental forms of transmutation, such as erupting earth or fabricate, so that I can stick with the Fullmetal Alchemist theme.

Any ideas for other spells that I could use?

strangebloke
2018-02-19, 11:33 AM
Basically, after having a conversation with my friend about how ridiculous a FMA Philosopher's Stone would be in D&D, I realised that they do exist, sort of, as transmuter's stones. Now I've gotten inspired to start creating a transmutation wizard/alchemist for a future D&D campaign, who travels the land searching for a way to obtain immortality. :smallbiggrin:

The problem is, most transmutation spells on the wizard spell list at early levels seem to focus on transmuting yourself: longstrider, jump, feather fall, alter self etc. I'm not opposed to taking spells like this, but they don't really fit the theme of the character that I'm trying to create. I want to focus on the more elemental forms of transmutation, such as erupting earth or fabricate, so that I can stick with the Fullmetal Alchemist theme.

Any ideas for other spells that I could use?

Mold Earth/Control Flames/Shape Water
Catapult
Earthbind, Maxmillian's earthen grasp
Pyrotechnics if you're Colonel Roy Mustang.
Flame Arrows(Refluffed as creating arrows with alchemical warheads.)
Knock
Fabricate
Magic Weapon

Everything else is too high-level or not applicable to what Ed and co. do. That said, you really shouldn't necessarily wed yourself to the transmutation school for all the spells.

Balthasaurus
2018-02-19, 01:39 PM
Everything else is too high-level or not applicable to what Ed and co. do. That said, you really shouldn't necessarily wed yourself to the transmutation school for all the spells.

Oh, I'm not limiting myself to only transmutation spells. :smallsmile: I had my eye on Magic Mouth, Shocking Grasp and Melf's Minute Meteors, as they can all also be regarded as similar to transmutation. Thanks for pointing out some spells though!

GlenSmash!
2018-02-19, 04:13 PM
I always thought the UA Stone Sorcerer would make a great Major Armstrong. I wish it had made it into print.

Vogie
2018-02-19, 11:40 PM
Spiritual Weapon and Shadow Blade could easily be refluffed as actual weapons being created from dust, as Ed is oft to do. A dip into Warlock could allow an actual summoning of a weapon at any time (I've been playing around with creating a Truth/Gate of Truth patron for warlocks as well)

All of the "Wall of" spells
Also, Passwall
Shatter

Evard's Black tentacles could actually be from the Gate.

Create Homunculus, of course

Maybe create a melee spell attack version of Disintegrate to mimic what Scar does... perhaps available at an earlier level

Cespenar
2018-02-20, 05:19 AM
FMA transformations could easily encompass D&D's Transmutation, Evocation and Conjuration, all at once.

So I'd just focus on the fluffing of the spells, instead of the actual spell selection. For example, Fireball could easily be refluffed as Mustang's explosion.