PDA

View Full Version : I need help

ParanoidAndriod
2018-02-19, 01:14 PM
I need help on making things for my campaign setting, I got an idea for a thing, Templars (So Original) and I was wondering if it should be a Faction, Class or subclass and I will nees the help of working on a class

Lalliman
2018-02-19, 01:20 PM
What game system are you using?

Any reason a paladin doesn't suffice?

ParanoidAndriod
2018-02-19, 01:23 PM
D&D 5e and I think paladins or fighters sound good

brian 333
2018-02-19, 02:32 PM
I need help on making things for my campaign setting, I got an idea for a thing, Templars (So Original) and I was wondering if it should be a Faction, Class or subclass and I will nees the help of working on a class

The Purple Dragons of Cormyr are a D&D knightly order which exist in 3e canon. Their depiction might foster ideas for your campaign. They are both an organization in the setting and a prestige class.

The Knights Templar were the Knights Of The Temple, which is not to start a history argument, but to use as an example. Your organization may have a religous origin like the Templars or a secular one like the Dragons. That origin, in both the above examples, gave the name to the organization. Does your knightly order have a pivotal origin story?

If their origin was more mundane, such as arising from a temple guard unit, the name of what they guard might be important, such as The Tower Guard who guard... a tower. And its contents, of course.

So, I will begin with an origin story: this order came about after a border temple of the central faith was destroyed in a war. Seven guardsmen and three clerics held their ground for twenty days, but the twenty-first day the temple was sacked and all of the defenders were tortured to death.

Twenty-eight days after the attack the local king with his massed army destroyed the attacker which could have ended his rule before his mighty hosts could muster to defend the kingdom. Thus were formed the Knights Of The Sacrifice who in times of peace are humble temple guards, but assemble quickly in times of war to lead local militia in the defense of the kingdom.

Adventuring members of this knighthood are undergoing their Seven Trials, a ritual period of personal discovery which ends when the knight has overcome seven symbolic trials of character and devotion.

Paladins, Clerics, Fighters, and Rangers can become Knights of the Sacrifice.

So, in giving my knights an origin story I have the basis to begin making decisions about my ultimate design. Each choice leads to the next. Keep it fluid, so that you can revise earlier choices. For instance, you may choose a uniform, but then want to have inter-temple friction. Well, that other temple has a different uniform.

ParanoidAndriod
2018-02-19, 02:36 PM
Ok, I will make it a subclass for Paladins, but I will have to figure out the feats

Fire Tarrasque
2018-02-19, 02:41 PM
Purple Dragon Knights exist in 5e already, detailed in the SCAD (Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide), as a fighter subclass.
You could use that?

ParanoidAndriod
2018-02-19, 02:43 PM
I am making my things, I will learn to make stuff

GalacticAxekick
2018-02-19, 04:13 PM
Class describes what a person can do: not why they do it.

Unless your Templars have unique abilities not covered by 5e's classes, you don't need to make a new class. You just need to describe their role in the setting.

ParanoidAndriod
2018-02-19, 04:18 PM
Or make a subclass, I can do it if I want

Grod_The_Giant
2018-02-19, 06:50 PM
What, exactly, does "templar" mean to you? Depending on the answer, it might be anything from a faction/background to a unique class.

ParanoidAndriod
2018-02-19, 06:52 PM
I think it means that someone will fight for for freedom, and never controlling anyone

ShadowSandbag
2018-02-19, 09:58 PM
What exactly do you need help with?

ParanoidAndriod
2018-02-19, 10:01 PM
With making it

Grod_The_Giant
2018-02-20, 07:23 AM
I think it means that someone will fight for for freedom, and never controlling anyone
That's a motivation, not a mechanic. If you really want to represent that as more than an in-setting faction, perhaps a background?

Knight Templar
Skill Proficiencies: Insight, Persuasion
Tool Proficiencies: One type of gaming set or musical instrument
Languages: One of your choice

Feature: Champion of Freedom
You are known far and wide as a defender of the oppressed. Common folk will shelter you when needed, providing food, rest, and hiding you from the law as best they can.