PDA

View Full Version : Any Roll20 macro experts out there?

warsawwombats
2018-02-19, 03:50 PM
I just started playing in a Roll20 campaign with some friends around the country. We're all first-timers. Do any of you Roll20 experts have any advice on streamlining our play? We're having a good time, and we're grateful that the platform allows us to play together again.

We're looking for some of your "A-HA!" moments when you discovered a super useful feature, or find features that are indispensable to your play. We'd also love some advice on useful macros. None of us are programmers, so the concept is a little foreign to us.

willdaBEAST
2018-02-19, 03:54 PM
I'm also extremely interested in these tips along with any more general ways to maximize Roll20.

One recurring issue for me is crossfading music cues, is there a way to do that simply (manually adjusting the volume is clumsy) or do you need a macro for it?

Raif
2018-02-19, 05:27 PM
I can definitely recommend macros for spells such as cure wounds that are constantly upcasted that have drop downs for you to select the spell level. These update the spellcard printed out as well as roll the right dice.

Also learning how to adjust the crit range for spells with attack rolls or show a second roll for advantage/disadvantage

What sheet are you using for the campaign? These are very important as they use slightly different variables for creating them.

warsawwombats
2018-02-19, 06:13 PM
I can definitely recommend macros for spells such as cure wounds that are constantly upcasted that have drop downs for you to select the spell level. These update the spellcard printed out as well as roll the right dice.

Also learning how to adjust the crit range for spells with attack rolls or show a second roll for advantage/disadvantage

What sheet are you using for the campaign? These are very important as they use slightly different variables for creating them.

Whoa! Sweet!

We're using the 5e character sheet. It looks like the default character sheet in the back of the PHB. Is that what you're asking? Our DM entered all our characters for us, so I haven't played with the character sheets much.

Our barbarian wants to be able to toggle rage on and off when he makes rolls.

Blood of Gaea
2018-02-19, 08:16 PM
I would highly recommend you do some browsing on YouTube, there's plenty of information on this available.

polymphus
2018-02-19, 08:40 PM
How much have you figured out? There's really basic stuff that also saves a ton of time: eg you can drag and drop stuff from the information panel into a character sheet.

Going into the Gear tab (on the top right of the character sheet, there's Core > Bio > Spells > Gear, like a mechanical gear symbol) gives you access to a lot of good nuts and bolts stuff. Most critically for me, the ability to easily turn expertise on/off (centre-bottom). I was manually doing double proficiency before then, and it saved a lot of time. Auto damage roll (top-right) is also a huge time saver for your macros.

Raif
2018-02-20, 11:59 AM
Whoa! Sweet!

We're using the 5e character sheet. It looks like the default character sheet in the back of the PHB. Is that what you're asking? Our DM entered all our characters for us, so I haven't played with the character sheets much.

Our barbarian wants to be able to toggle rage on and off when he makes rolls.

Ask your DM which sheet he uses.

As for the toggle rage on and off, can't really do that. you could create a macro with a dropdown for their attacks asking if they are raging yes/no and have it modify it that way

Lord8Ball
2018-02-20, 12:24 PM
&{template:default} {{name= Ability Scores}} {{Strength[[4d6d1]]}} {{Dexterity[[4d6d1]]}}{{Constitution[[4d6d1]]}} {{Intelligence[[4d6d1]]}} {{Wisdom[[4d6d1]]}} {{Charisma[[4d6d1]]}}
You can Automate simple rolls by {{[[Dice rolled]]}} d=drop the lowest r= reroll the lowest.
I am not a pro at this, but it has made things easier for me in game.

warsawwombats
2018-02-20, 01:15 PM
Ask your DM which sheet he uses.

As for the toggle rage on and off, can't really do that. you could create a macro with a dropdown for their attacks asking if they are raging yes/no and have it modify it that way

He said we're using 5th Edition OGL by roll20.

Armored Walrus
2018-02-20, 02:00 PM
Just a note that there is a macros forum on Roll20 itself.

In fact, the Stupid Tricks thread over there might give you some ideas.

I can comment on some useful ones, but I'm not sure my experience as a DM on roll20 converts to what would be useful for you as a player.

One easy one,though. Anything you can click to roll on your char sheet can be dragged to the lower left corner of the screen and turned into a button. So grab your shortsword from your Attacks section of your sheet, for example, and now you can swing it all day without opening your sheet.

That being said, I imagine you're going to get far better advice posting over on Roll20 itself or looking in the LFG section for games advertising themselves as tutorials for new players.

Edit: for toggling rage on/off, check the gear icon to the left of "Core/Bio/Spells" on the main char sheet. Once you open the gear there should be a section in the top right, under the Always Roll Advantage, etc. Click on "show global damage modifier field." When you go back to the Core section of the sheet, you'll see, under your Attacks, a global damage modifier box. Your barb can just put in "2 [Rage]" in that box. If you check it, it will add a flat +2 to all damage rolls. Uncheck it,and it won't add.

Edit2: Note that if you do that, and he crits, it will double the +2, which ain't supposed to happen, so remember not to add it twice. Thankfully, it clearly shows that it's being added twice, so it's easy to catch.