PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Guides to playing a dwarf... or other race...

ZorroGames
2018-02-19, 04:03 PM
Out of curiousity, are there any guides addressing how to optimize and/role play a particular race? I mean other than kilt wearing dwarf figures with a Scottish accent? :smallconfused:

GlenSmash!
2018-02-19, 04:07 PM
I like my dwarves with Swedish accents personally.

Now as to a guide I don't think there are race guides I don't think there are any. In fact I don't think there are an Roleplaying guides, or at least if there are I've never seen them. Guides really exist for the G part of RPG since it's codified and finite. The RP part is limitless. How could you guide for it?

And if I did see some RP guides i'd probably just yell "You can't tell me what to do!" at them. Because I am a contrary SOB.

Mister_Squinty
2018-02-19, 04:08 PM
I mean other than kilt wearing dwarf figures with a Scottish accent? :smallconfused:

My current Mountain Dwarf is Slavic/Russian. There's also a strong Nordic/Germanic tie to traditional Dwarves. And, depending on your reading of Tolkien, hints of Jewish culture.

If you don't have any guidance from the world your DM is running, well, fantasy races are a lot like humans. They come in all kinds of cultures, with all kinds of traditions and quirks. Grab a few factors that you would enjoy roleplaying (gregarious or timid/angry or cheerful/boisterous or cool) and build your character around them.

Naanomi
2018-02-19, 04:12 PM
The only time races get discussion like that is for specific optimization tricks or very unique mechanics... tortle for example got some race-specific discussion threads

white lancer
2018-02-19, 04:24 PM
Play them however you like. Unless the race is particularly exotic (e.g. Kenku or Yuan-Ti or something) or would have to deal with specific problems like prejudice (e.g. Tieflings), you're probably better off using your backstory and possibly mental stats to influence your character's personality. There are other things (long-lived races would see the world differently than humans and the like, for instance), but humans shouldn't have the monopoly on having a wide variety of personalities.

As for optimizing, that shouldn't be too tough. Mountain Dwarves get +2 STR/+2 CON, so they're good for STR-based martial characters, while Hill Dwarves are better if their class prefers WIS.

ThatDrowPlayer
2018-02-20, 03:01 PM
This may not be the answer you're looking for, since it is kinda where the Scottish-accent dwarf came from, but pull from what you know. The most famous dwarf in fantasy fiction is arguably Gimli, son of Gloin, but he's not the only dwarf out there. Dwarves are actually Germanic creatures, not Gaelic, so pull from Norse mythology.

I also highly recommend Dragon Age: Origins as a good source of dwarvish culture. Even if you don't play the game, maybe YouTube some gameplay and see how BioWare characterizes them. Other media depicting them is also worth looking into, as unfortunately you'll have to piece stuff together on your own because they're really aren't any race-guides.

Still, consider these common traits:

Dwarves like mining (Snow White, LotR)
Dwarves are greedy (Hobbit, LotR)
Dwarves live underground (Dragon Age, LotR)
Dwarves forge weapons (Norse mythology)
Dwarves dislike elves (Hobbit, LotR)
Dwarves revere ancestors (Dragon Age)
Dwarves are ugly (Norse mythology)
Dwarves usually can't cast spells (Dragon Age)
Dwarves are hardy, long-lived, survivors (Warhammer)
Dwarves drink beer, ale, mead, etc. (DA, Warhammer)
Dwarves are gruff and vulgar (Dragon Age, LotR)
Dwarves hold grudges for a very long time (Hobbit)
Dwarves aren't immune to a woman's charms (Snow White, LotR)
Dwarves are legendary fighters (Hobbit, DA, Warhammer, LotR)
Dwarves dislike magic (DA, Snow White)
Dwarves are respected for their craftsmanship (Norse mythology, DA, LotR)
Dwarves are stubborn and set in their ways (DA, LotR)
Dwarves are pious and honor sworn (DA, D&D, Warhammer)
Dwarves are ingenious and inventive (Elder Scrolls, DA, Norse mythology, D&D)
Dwarves favor axes and hammers (D&D, LotR)
Dwarves feud with dragons over wealth (Hobbit)
Dwarves have superstitious fears about the surface (DA)
Dwarves are one of the oldest races (LotR, DA, Warhammer, Elder Scrolls)
Dwarves are conniving, mysterious, and secretive (Swordbearer, LotR, DA)
Dwarves are loyal and seek to bring honor (Snow White, LotR, Warhammer)
Dwarves dislike orcs and goblins (Hobbit, LotR, D&D)

Pick the traits you like and happy role-playing! If you're looking to truly play an out-of-the-ordinary dwarf, play a duergar. Like the great and mighty drow, they break many tropes and cliches and stand out at the table.

GlenSmash!
2018-02-20, 03:33 PM
I also highly recommend Dragon Age: Origins as a good source of dwarvish culture. Even if you don't play the game, maybe YouTube some gameplay and see how BioWare characterizes them. Other media depicting them is also worth looking into, as unfortunately you'll have to piece stuff together on your own because they're really aren't any race-guides.

I found the Dwarven Caste system in DA to be really interesting. Maybe the most interesting take on Dwarves I've ever seen. Consequently, the Dwarven Noble origin was IMHO the most interesting origin, though i almost always played Human Noble.

tieren
2018-02-20, 03:39 PM
I recommend to you the Dwarves series of novels from Marcus Heitz.

I really enjoyed them and it shows several different dwarvish societies and lots of different character traits for dwarves. Its also just refreshing to see a dwarf-centric world where they are the proptagonists (Hobbit not withstanding).