PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Helping understanding how spell slots work (paladin lvl 2)

Kaibis
2018-02-19, 08:43 PM
My first D&D character, and I am struggling to understand spell slots, both how they work, and also tactical advice on when and how to use them. I come from a WoW background where you just spam spells forever, I am finding the idea of limited spell slots really challenging. I think perhaps I am expecting spells to behave like cantrips, able to be spammed.

I have a newly minted lvl 2 paladin, she can prepare 4 spells (3 + 1) {Bless, prot from evil and good, searing smite, shield of faith}.

Now she is able to cast just 2 spells (before needing a long rest) - is that correct?

So as a lvl 2, during encounters I should refrain from casting any spells at all, saving the two slots for a boss fight? During a boss fight I am guessing that I should cast Bless (1 slot), and then save the final slot for if I crit (or if we need the extra damage) and then use Divine Smite (1 slot) to get extra damage?

So, what would be the point of having 4 spells available. I mean, why waste a slot on Searing Smite instead of just waiting for the hit and applying Divine Smite?

(I am googling and watching youtube videos as well, just not finding anything that really addresses this confusion).

Blood of Gaea
2018-02-19, 08:50 PM
Have you seen this video yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LzCcgCMtuQ

If you have any questions after that, I would be happy to answer them.

EDIT:

So as a lvl 2, during encounters I should refrain from casting any spells at all, saving the two slots for a boss fight? During a boss fight I am guessing that I should cast Bless (1 slot), and then save the final slot for if I crit (or if we need the extra damage) and then use Divine Smite (1 slot) to get extra damage?

So, what would be the point of having 4 spells available. I mean, why waste a slot on Searing Smite instead of just waiting for the hit and applying Divine Smite?
Actually, looking back at this post, I'll go ahead and address this now.

Paladins are what is considered a 1/2 caster, which means you'll have half the spell slots of full caster (like a cleric or wizard). So you will need to be more sparing with your spell slots then a PC with more focus on casting spells would.

As for when to spend your spell slots, use them when you would feel it would make a meaningful difference, tossing a Divine Smite into a natural 20 attack is a great example you already noticed, seeing as critical hits will double the damage (but avoid doing this on a mook you could easily kill without a smite, when reasonable). You might also use a Divine Smite when you simply need to kill a creature faster (perhaps a Party Member urgently needs your support, but you can't afford to leave this opponent standing). The other smites all have some sort of extra effect to them, Searing Smite will light them on fire for example, dealing damage over time, and can be particularly effective against an enemy with a weakness to fire damage. Other smites can knock enemies prone, blind them, and a high-level example can even temporarily banish them to another dimension.

Buffs should be used if you're looking to support your team, or when your entering a long fight where it will outweigh the bonus of a smite from the same slot.

Don't worry too much about using spell slots before the "boss" encounter, just try to avoid squandering them where they aren't needed.

Kaibis
2018-02-20, 02:58 AM
No I hadn't seen that video, and it was excellent and explained so much - thank you.

Also thank you for your comments regarding tactics.You have completely answered (with the video and your comments) every question and concern that I had.

Thanks!!

ThatDrowPlayer
2018-02-20, 01:50 PM
My players and I hail from 4e, where you can cast as much as you want, so if you really want a WoW-flavored feel, switch to that Edition.

5e, for me, is more enjoyable because you have to manage your resources. Like the previous responder said, the paladin is a half-caster, meaning she will never match the spellcasting capabilities of the bard, cleric, druid, sorcerer, and wizard.

But she doesn't have to! The paladin is one of my favorite 5e classes due to its great abilities. Half-casters use their spells to supplement their other abilities, so it's practically impossible to make a "laser-paladin." Instead, use your spell slots for spells to buff what you already do. Bless is great for this. People don't expect the half-caster to blow through spells, so you're flexible.

You also will probably want to use your spell slots for Smiting, at least until 11th level (if I remember right). You deal radiant damage per each slot expended, which is a better use than trying to maximize spellcasting. Once you hit 11, you always deal radiant, and you'll have a fair number of slots, so you can focus more on boosting yourself and healing allies when your healer can't (or if you're the healer).

Slots are essentially bullets that you fire - when you use one, it's gone until you resupply. Because of this, management of them is key. Like the other responder said, pick the spells you think will be a difference, save what slots you need for those, then smite when it is advantageous. If you really want to get into spellcasting a lot, take the Magic Initiate feat and pick up two damaging cantrips. You could also multiclass into a full-caster to get some as well, though that costs you paladin levels.

AHF
2018-02-20, 01:57 PM
Depending on the party, bless can be a really good buff that is worth the slot. Nothing compares to smiting for damage. Use your lay on hands for your contribution to healing. You can use just 1 HP at a time if you want to keep it in reserve when someone falls unconscious in battle.

Blood of Gaea
2018-02-20, 09:09 PM
If you really want to get into spellcasting a lot, take the Magic Initiate feat and pick up two damaging cantrips. You could also multiclass into a full-caster to get some as well, though that costs you paladin levels.
If you do this, just remember to use a class/spell list that relies on charisma, that being Bard, Sorcerer, and Warlock.

Kaibis
2018-02-20, 09:43 PM
Thanks, I got to cast my first spells last night. A "protection from good and evil" on a fighter that was stuck in a bottleneck with ghouls attacking him from two sides, and later a good divine smite to deal a load of damage to a ghast.

I am liking the dusting of spells.

Blood of Gaea
2018-02-20, 10:02 PM
Thanks, I got to cast my first spells last night. A "protection from good and evil" on a fighter that was stuck in a bottleneck with ghouls attacking him from two sides, and later a good divine smite to deal a load of damage to a ghast.

I am liking the dusting of spells.
Glad to hear you're having fun. And yeah, I enjoy how it feels like each spell has more "weight" than in some of the earlier editions, mostly due to the overall decreased number of them.