PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Trying to remember if a feat exists 3.5

mabriss lethe
2018-02-19, 10:57 PM
I'm trying to recall if there's a feat anywhere in 3.5 that's basically a backwards version of Monkey Grip. (as in, the feat removes the -2 penalty for oversized weapons, but does not change the effort.) I feel like I might have seen something like it somewhere, but it could just be wishful thinking on my part.

Now, I know in most cases that such a feat wouldn't be needed, as there are various weapons with the same basic characteristics in multiple size classes. (example: Kukri, scimitar, falchion are all basically the same weapon, just scaled to different sizes)

I'm mostly looking at it as part of a thought exercise as a way to take advantage of larger Monk weapons or the special properties of light exotics while being able to get better power attack ratios from being able to treat them as 1-handed weapons. (Hey, it's still Monkday)

BowStreetRunner
2018-02-19, 11:42 PM
The only thing that comes to mind is Oversized Two Weapon Fighting, which allowed you to treat a one-handed off hand weapon as a light off hand weapon.

Edit: Wield Oversized Weapon [Epic] is on page 153 of Complete Warrior.

mabriss lethe
2018-02-20, 12:00 AM
Yeah, Not what I'm looking for. After looking through a good number of "the usual suspects" books I think I just imagined it.

Ah well.

ksbsnowowl
2018-02-20, 01:49 AM
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are trying to find. However, look at the Hornblade enhancement from ... Races of Faerun? That might be what you are looking for.

BowStreetRunner
2018-02-20, 09:16 AM
...Hornblade enhancement from ... Races of Faerun? That might be what you are looking for.
That's certainly a nice enhancement...for a halfling or gnome. :smallconfused: They could at least have made it work for all small-sized races. :smallfrown:

Darrin
2018-02-20, 09:21 AM
Not a feat. City of Stormreach p. 100, "Slaughter Master."

Thurbane
2018-02-20, 03:58 PM
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are trying to find. However, look at the Hornblade enhancement from ... Races of Faerun? That might be what you are looking for.

Hmm, didn't know these existed in 3.X. I remember Hornblades from 1E Unearthed Arcana.

Wow, good find. Never noticed that before.

Zaq
2018-02-20, 04:34 PM
That's certainly a nice enhancement...for a halfling or gnome. :smallconfused: They could at least have made it work for all small-sized races. :smallfrown:

DC 25 UMD check to emulate being a gnome or halfling?

The Viscount
2018-02-20, 08:42 PM
If we're discussing items, the Stongarm Bracers from MIC do the job.

zergling.exe
2018-02-20, 09:44 PM
If we're discussing items, the Stongarm Bracers from MIC do the job.

The objective is to get rid of the -2 for wielding an inappropriate sized weapon, while simultaneously keeping the effort change for the weapon. So wielding a large shortsword as a 1-handed weapon rather than a light weapon that Monkey Grip and Strongarm Bracers do. Weapon Focus and Greater Weapon Focus can ape this, 2 feats instead of 1 and requires 8 levels of Fighter though.

mabriss lethe
2018-02-21, 10:37 PM

And that's a wrap! That's pretty much exactly what I was looking for.