PDA

View Full Version : 3.x - Can Simulacrum Not Gain Experience Or Not Level Up?

unseenmage
2018-02-20, 01:24 AM
Could a Sim gain xp then use it for crafting or sell it via the Talisman of Transference or the Transference spell (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060526a)?

If this is how it works then is there anything else a Sim could do with unspent xp?

Daefos
2018-02-20, 09:14 AM
A simulacrum has no ability to become more powerful. It cannot increase its level or abilities.

This would reseasonably seem to preclude any XP gain.

unseenmage
2018-02-21, 08:20 AM
Trouble is I vaguely remember something about characters not having to level as soon as they gain enough xp to.

Which implies that it's the gaining of a level which would count as becoming more powerful not tge gain of xp.

Zombimode
2018-02-21, 08:50 AM
Could a Sim gain xp then use it for crafting or sell it via the Talisman of Transference or the Transference spell (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060526a)?

If this is how it works then is there anything else a Sim could do with unspent xp?

Is a Simulacrum a Player character?

If yes, it gains XP as detailed in the DMG.

If not (the more likely case), the rules do not govern if and how a Simulacrum might gain XP.

Judging from your question you are probably after some exploit to gain something for nothing. If so, my answer as a DM would always be "no".

If you instead presented to me a character concept where "actually being someone else Simulacrum" would be an essential part, than it's a different story.

unseenmage
2018-02-21, 09:42 AM
Is a Simulacrum a Player character?

If yes, it gains XP as detailed in the DMG.

If not (the more likely case), the rules do not govern if and how a Simulacrum might gain XP.

Judging from your question you are probably after some exploit to gain something for nothing. If so, my answer as a DM would always be "no".

If you instead presented to me a character concept where "actually being someone else Simulacrum" would be an essential part, than it's a different story.
All of the above really. Just sounding out the RAW involved.
Simulacrum is such a dirty trick spell it seems there's no end to the nuance of its interaction with the rules.

If they gain xp but cannot level via xp then a crafter Simulacrum becomes a viable ally/cohort/PC. At least for a while.

Meanwhile, if they are created with xp halfway to next level or somesuch, then an already borked spell is a borked spell. No change there.

I just like considering how the creatures created by spells make their way in the world as characters and as character sheets.