PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Flanking with reach ( i forgot!) 3.5

finaldooms
2018-02-20, 07:33 AM
So i forgot how reach flanking works in 3.5
I know normal flank is 2 creatures on opposite sides of another creature (5ft) they flank

Now if one of them has a spear does that mean he flanks at 10ft for him and the other guy at 5ft?
If they both have spears is that flank at 10ft?

Do they lose flank when said creature moves to within 5ft? And a 5ft step prevents the aoo incurred right?

Khedrac
2018-02-20, 08:38 AM
One can only flank creatures one threatens, so if wielding a reach weapon (and without Improved unarmed strike or natural weapons) one must usually have 5' of space between you and your target. (Exceptions exist, e.g. spiked chains.)

And this is one of the times when one has to pay more attention to the requirements for flanking...
nnnnN
nnnnY
nAOnY
nnnnY
nnnnN
n = empty space (chosen for width reasons)
A = Ally
O = Opponent
N = Does not flank with longspear
Y = Does flank with longspear

Edit: Yes, if the opponent 5' steps to the reach weapon wielder both allies lose flank and no AoO is granted.

finaldooms
2018-02-20, 09:27 AM
So A gets flanking as well? As long Y is there yes?

Khedrac
2018-02-20, 10:34 AM
So A gets flanking as well? As long Y is there yes?

For all the Y positions: Yes.

When in doubt about whether two friendly characters flank an opponent in the middle, trace an imaginary line between the two friendly characters’ centers. If the line passes through opposite borders of the opponent’s space (including corners of those borders), then the opponent is flanked.

Exception: If a flanker takes up more than 1 square, it gets the flanking bonus if any square it occupies counts for flanking.

Only a creature or character that threatens the defender can help an attacker get a flanking bonus.