PDA

View Full Version : Transferring some magic items from 3.5 to 5e

Ixidor92
2018-02-20, 01:27 PM
I am currently in the process of switching over my campaign from 3.5 to 5e, which has come with its own set of hiccups and challenges. However, one of the biggest ones has been dealing with magic items. Since as a whole magic items are a bonus to characters, rather than needed power, I had every player choose one magic item on their person to keep in the transition (they are level 5 so at most they usually had 2 and maybe a couple consumables on top of that). Of course the challenge here is that most of the items chosen don't exist or really have a counterpart in 5e.

I have made 5e versions of each of the items below. Any critique on their effects would be welcome. In particular, I'm worried that the arcanist's gloves may be a little too powerful, and I'm not feeling 100% happy with how the rearguard's cape ended up.

Brawler's Gloves:
-3.5 effect: These gloves have 3 charges that replenish at dawn. As a swift action, you may spend one or more charges to gain an insight bonus on strength-based checks and melee damage rolls for 1 round. 1 charge: +2, 2 charges: +3, 3 charges: +4

-5e interpretation (Requires attunement): These gloves hold 3 charges, and restore 1d3 charges every dawn. As a bonus action on your turn, you may spend a charge from the gloves to grant yourself a boost to strength until the start of your next turn. Until then, you have advantage on any strength-based checks, and any successful strength-based attacks deal an additional 1d8 damage of the attack's type.

Arcanist's Gloves:
-3.5 effect: You may activate these gloves as a swift action to increase the caster level of the next 1st level spell you cast by 2. The gloves may be used twice per day.

-5e interpretation(requires attunement by an arcane spellcaster): These gloves have 3 charges, and regain 1d3 charges at dawn. Whenever you use a 1st level spell slot, you may spend one or more charges to increase the spell's effect. For every charge spent, treat the expended spell slot as if it was one level higher when determining the effect of the spell. This magic does not work with spells slots above 1st level, and you must be able to cast the spell slot increased to. IE: a 5th level wizard could not use this to increase a spell slot to 4th level, since they only have access to 3rd level spell slots.

Rearguard's cape:
-3.5 effect: This powerful magic item is only usable by marshals, and only activates when outnumbered. When the number of enemies you face is greater than your party size plus any allies, you may activate this cape as an immediate action. The bonuses allies receive from your auras double. This effect lasts for 10 minutes, or until the number of enemies no lounger outnumbers your current party. Once the rearguard's cape has been activated, it cannot be used again until the next day.

-5e interpretation(requires attunement by a paladin or fighter): The powerful magic within this cape lies dormant until the user finds themselves outnumbered. However, the cape does display any coat of arms if you have one. Whenever the number of enemies in combat outnumbers yourself and your allies, the magic of the cap activates. You may choose to suppress the effects of the cape if you wish, but either option does not require an action to use. While the cape is active, you and up to 5 other allies gain the benefits of the bless spell. You do not need to concentrate to maintain this effect.

If you have the second wind ability, and you use it while the cape is active, you heal an additional 1d10 hit points, any ally under the bless effect of the cape (not including yourself) regains hit points equal to half that of what you restore.

If you have the lay on hands ability, and you use it while the cape is active, anyone under the bless effect of this cape (not including the target) regains hit points equal to half of what you restore with your lay on hands ability.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-02-20, 01:34 PM
I'd reduce the damage bonus on the Brawler's Gloves a bit (1d6, say). The Arcanist's Gloves look good, but the Rearguard's Cape is too complicated. You're trying to fit an entire class into one magic item. I suggest either tailoring it to the Bard (and boosting all Inspiration Dice rolls) or maybe just "Bless as a reaction, targeting up to six allies."

Ixidor92
2018-02-21, 10:00 PM
EDIT:
-Reduced bonus damage of brawler's gloves from 1d10 to 1d8
-Changed rearguard's cape to a bless effect and an enhancement of class abilities that can attune to it