PDA

View Full Version : So I’m making a crossbow expert...

LVOD
2018-02-20, 03:08 PM
There was a whole lot of confusion about crossbow expert originally, and I rarely play ranged builds, so I’m looking for some advice as well as clarification.

With crossbow expert, I’d have two hand crossbows. I’d get however many normal attacks, followed by one bonus action attack, correct? No dual wielding shenanigans with ranged weapons in 5e?

Do i add my dex to the damage rolls of each attack?

clash
2018-02-20, 03:28 PM
1) Yes you would get your normal number of attacks and one bonus action attack
1.1) This works wielding any one handed weapon and a hand crossbow not just 2 hand crossbows
1.2) This has been confirmed to work with a single hand crossbow rather than 2 of them
2) Yes, ranged attacks add dex to damage unless they state otherwise.

MeeposFire
2018-02-20, 08:32 PM
You should not wield two crossbows because then you cannot reload. Since a hand crossbow is a one hand weapon you can fire it and then get to use your bonus action attack with it so you only need the one crossbow.

So just go one hand crossbow and use your attack action to get your normal set of attacks and then you can use your bonus action to fire your hand crossbow again.

You always add your attribute bonus to a weapon attack unless something specifies that it does not. So far the only instance of not including an attribute bonus like dex or str is when two weapon fighting. Note that this has nothing to do with bonus actions. Two weapon fighting may be a bonus action but the loss of attribute bonus is due to two weapon fighting not the bonus action nature o fit.

Long story short yes you add your dex mod to the damage.