PDA

View Full Version : Honest ward question

Sigreid
2018-02-20, 03:48 PM
For the abjurer's ward it's listed as intelligence mod + level times 2. I'm unclear if they mean int+(level x 2) or (int + level) x 2.

Has that been clarified?

PhoenixPhyre
2018-02-20, 03:55 PM
For the abjurer's ward it's listed as intelligence mod + level times 2. I'm unclear if they mean int+(level x 2) or (int + level) x 2.

Has that been clarified?

For clarity, here's the exact quote:

The ward has a hit point maximum equal to twice your wizard level + your Intelligence modifier.

I can't read that as anything other than (2x level) + INT (so INT + 4 @ 2nd level when you get it). I'd expect it to say "twice the sum of ..." for the other reading.

Let's look at some cases (case 1 is double then add, case 2 is twice the sum), assuming maxing INT as soon as possible:

Level | Case 1 | Case 2
2 | 7 | 10
10 | 25 | 30
20 | 45 | 50

Ehh, not a huge difference IMO. Difference of INT-mod HP, max 5.

othaero
2018-02-20, 04:06 PM
I agree with Phoenixphrye's interpretation. If I remember anything from translating high school math word problems it would indeed be 2xlevel+Int. Maybe if we used coconuts or any other exotic fruits that seem to be the case these days in American math questions would it be easier to understand.

Sigreid
2018-02-20, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the feedback. That was the way I was leaning, but I could easily have seen the other way as a reasonable interpretation. And yes, with a way you're only talking 5 extra hp, but if yo max intelligence asap that could be 5 extra points when it counts the most.