PDA

View Full Version : Does ending concentration take any time?

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-02-20, 05:23 PM
Maybe not the best example but lets say my Level 7 Lore Bard has Polynorphed herself into a rhino. A couple turns later a team mate goes down. My turn comes around and my character would like to break concentration on the Polymorph so she can cast Healing Word. Can she cast Level 1 Healing Word as a bonus action then carry on with a melee attack and movement as normal?

Is this legal?

Does breaking concentration use up any part of my turn?

Thanks in advance.

Armored Walrus
2018-02-20, 05:26 PM
I say no. Noting that if you fail a concentration check you don't lose your reaction.

As I said at table last week when literally this same question was asked, "I know from experience that I can lose concentration at least 6 times in 6 seconds."

Edit for clarity: I say "no, breaking concentration doesn't cost any kind of action. You just stop concentrating and it happens."

Edgerunner
2018-02-20, 05:28 PM
I have Never played with a DM that used Ending a Concentration Spell in that manner but.... I havn't played with Every DM.
Just Ask if you are unsure.

PhantomSoul
2018-02-20, 05:31 PM
If the PHB's being followed rather than any home rules, "[y]ou can end concentration at any time (no action required)." (p. 203)

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-02-20, 06:17 PM
Thank you all very much.

If I thought the same as whoever wrote the handbook half my posts would not be necessary.

Then again the forum would get fewer clicks.

Laserlight
2018-02-20, 10:18 PM
Dropping concentration doesn't take time.
There was discussion a few weeks ago as to whether a Polymorphed caster--who explicitly has the beast's mental stats--would be smart enough to immediately decide to drop concentration, or whether an INT roll would be required. If you hate that idea (as several posters did), then you probably don't want to mention it to your DM. :-)

JackPhoenix
2018-02-21, 03:33 AM
It doesn't take any action.

It does take about as much time as it take for you to say "I stop concentrating on x" and for the DM to note what it means.