PDA

View Full Version : Favourite weapon for a cavalier.

Sno
2018-02-20, 06:29 PM
The knight… I mean… cavalier is such an iconic archetype, and its mechanics seems to support a defender who stands vigilant while protecting his allies. The small little mounted benefits he gets just screams knight… I mean cavalier in shiny armour to me, and thus a fighter archetype I ‘d love to play.

The cavalier seems to have mechanics that works really well with some weapons/feats, more so than other classes. There seems to be some conflicting and synergising mechanics and that makes me unsure what the best weapon of choice is for a cavalier, and I just wonder what’s the opinion of others. Here is my thoughts so far:

Sword and Board: This is Warhammer, battleaxe, longsword and so forth, with a shield. The extra armour from wearing a shield is greatly appreciated for someone standing in the front, and an archetype that has mechanics built to protect its allies. As a Sword and Board users stands within 5 feet of the enemy, and with Hold the Line, and Unwavering mark, he makes it hard to get away from him, and disadvantageous and deadly to attack one of your allies. I feel thou that shield master overlaps quite a bit with ferocious charger later, as they both knock down.

Sword and Board with quarterstaff: Just as the “ordinary” sword and board, but with a quarterstaff and polearm master Instead of Shield Master. Polearm mastery synergises greatly with Hold the Line and really late, vigilant defender. Really great use of your bonus action too, as the extra attacks from Unwavering Mark is only used a limited time per day (3-5). Limited amount of weapon choices if that matters to you (somewhat dependent on DM).

Sword and Board but with a whip. Awesome for a Cavalier as reach works wonders with Hold the Line and Vigilant defender. On top of that, you get to use a shield, which beneficial for a “tank”. Getting a reach weapon while still being able to use a shield is nothing to scoff at. An odd, yet great weapon of choice.

Polearm: Again, reach is awesome for cavalier even though Warding manoeuvre only works while within 5 feet regarding the disadvantage it creates if an enemy attack an ally. Hold the Line and Vigilant defender simply screams reach+polearm master

Great Weapon Fighting: I really don’t like this one. You got abilities that more than likely makes you the target, and except for some eventual bonus attacks, there isn’t much going for this one. Great Weapon Fighting synergies much better with say, battlemaster (precision strike).

Rfkannen
2018-02-20, 07:18 PM
I have been thinking about this to, I am thinking of making a cavalier, and my bet on best weapon would be sword and board, I wouldn't take the shield master feat witch is a shame, but the class has enough utility that I don't think you need anything fancy, and the damage and defense are always welcome!

Malifice
2018-02-20, 08:53 PM
Your options are sword and board for the AC (you're going to be attacked; a LOT) or heavy weapon to make your additional attacks against marked targets and via reactions from sentinel feat (which you'll take) hurt more.

Reach weapons aren't that great seeing as most of your abilities require the target to be within 5 feet.

Blood of Gaea
2018-02-20, 09:23 PM
Longsword/warhammer and shield.

Sno
2018-02-21, 08:37 AM
Your options are sword and board for the AC (you're going to be attacked; a LOT) or heavy weapon to make your additional attacks against marked targets and via reactions from sentinel feat (which you'll take) hurt more.

Reach weapons aren't that great seeing as most of your abilities require the target to be within 5 feet.

Yes, Unwavering mark requires you to be within 5 feet of the enemy to give it disadvantage against other allies, yet half of the feature still works, as you can still get that bonus attack a few times a day as a bonus action. Same can be said about Warding Maneouver, as you can still aplly that effect to you. Despite this, Hold the Line synergises extremely well with the cavalier, and you can simply prevent an enemy to get to you, or your ally. No feature is truly "wasted" by having a reach weapon. So I would argue it is a though choice.

Do you think sentinel feat is worth it if you're level 10?

Malifice
2018-02-21, 09:49 AM
Do you think sentinel feat is worth it if you're level 10?

Its worth it from 1st.

They carefully worded the Cavaliers abilities to not cross into Sentinel. Effectively the bonuses stack.

Sentinel is always on (unlike the other abilities which can only be used on marked targets, and have limited uses per long rest).

With both active, a marked target that attacks someone else while within 5' of you, does so with disadvantage, provokes an attack of opportunity from you, and also triggers an extra attack from you as a bonus action on your next turn (at advantage, and with a damage bonus added in).

With GWM this makes the Cavalier super hard to ignore. You're going to get pounded to a pulp attacking something that is not him.

Note also how the Cavaliers ability to take an extra attack of opportunity each turn at 18th plays real nice with Sentinel (6 monsters act on initiative count 15; they move within 5' of you, you get to clobber each and every one of them when they do, and keep your reaction for sentinel later in the round).

Not withstanding the GWM benefits, I personally prefer S+B and HAM as your feat (plus sentinel, plus mounted combat for fluff if nothing else). High AC and DR 3/- helps when you're the poor sap getting clobbered all the time (your AC can easily hit 30+ with the Cavs 7th level parry manouver; which also grants resistance to the damage dealt.

For damage extra damage (and even more battlefield control) I like to MC with Crown Paladin. Their ability to lock all creatures within 30' down into that area (as a bonus action) with channel divinity, plus access to Champions challenge (bonus action, disadvantage to attack anyone but you) and +Cha to save aura and smites for extra damage make it hard to beat.

Plus they get a nice horsey to ride thanks to summon steed (and greater summon steed).

Super fluffy too. Fighter 9 (indomitable plays nice with +Cha to saves) and Paladin 11 (+1d8 damage per hit) is my preferred combo. Dueling and Defence or Protection as your F/S (GWS if you want even more damage). You could do an 8/12 split if you really want that extra feat.

Duelings bonus carries over to the lance as well, which is nice.

Zanthy1
2018-02-21, 10:20 AM
Have a shield and either longsword/warhammer, but I would use a Lance cause they rule.