PDA

View Full Version : Obtain familiar v hexblade’s summon familiar

tedcahill2
2018-02-20, 11:02 PM
Which one gives the better familiar? Because it looks like obtain familiar would use my hex blade level instead of hexblade -3

Kelb_Panthera
2018-02-21, 02:38 AM
Unless you're going with straight hexblade or prestiging into something that advances familiars, the feat always yields better results since it keys off of all classes which advance arcane casting which, arguably includes PrCs.

As for your observation wrt level vs level -3, you're right -but- do note that you'd be getting the familiar at level 6 rather than 4 and you're giving up a feat for a 3 level boost to something that's not super level dependant.

Cenric
2018-02-21, 09:29 AM
I think if you want a familiar, going with obtain is significantly better on a hexblade. Primarily because using the feat allows you to take the dark companion acf which imo is way more valuable than a familiar to a hexblade.

The downside of course is the delay and the consumption of a feat slot, so it kind of depends on the direction you want to go.

DEMON
2018-02-21, 05:24 PM
Obtain Familiar is the stronger option even on a pure classed Hexblade.

The question is, is it worth a feat? The answer is: No.
Another question is, if it's worth a feat when you also get the Dark Companion on top of the stronger Familiar? The answer is: Most likely yes.

tedcahill2
2018-02-21, 06:22 PM
Obtain Familiar is the stronger option even on a pure classed Hexblade.

The question is, is it worth a feat? The answer is: No.
Another question is, if it's worth a feat when you also get the Dark Companion on top of the stronger Familiar? The answer is: Most likely yes.

I think if you want a familiar, going with obtain is significantly better on a hexblade. Primarily because using the feat allows you to take the dark companion acf which imo is way more valuable than a familiar to a hexblade.

The downside of course is the delay and the consumption of a feat slot, so it kind of depends on the direction you want to go.

Yeah this is for a particular build I have in mind, one that requires having a familiar for RP reasons, but the Dark Companion ACF looked so good that I was looking for a way to have both.