PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Best race for enchantment sorcerer in an evil campaign? (PF w/ 3.5 allowed)

flamewolf393
2018-02-21, 08:33 AM
This is a pathfinder game with 3.x content allowed so go ham!

Hes a crossblooded daemon(debuffs)/sylvan(animal companion) bloodline, with an added eldritch heritage for arcane bloodline to turn his companion also into his familiar so to stack the two sets of abilities. I picked a dire bat cause I think that would be cool for the character even though its far from the most powerful choice. Since we are starting at level 3, Im also taking craft wondrous item, cause really who doesn't love double WBL? Specifically thinking of starting with several memento magica's for extra spells/day.

I know that human and kitsune would be awesome choices for this, but I REALLY want him to be small sized both for backstory and so I can ride the direbat, laughing maniacally as I fly away into the night. The problem is none of the small races that have the stats for this have the cool stuff like the kitsune's 1 + .25/lvl to enchantments, or the humans extra spell known per level.

Any suggestions?

SangoProduction
2018-02-21, 11:21 AM
Why not ask your DM if you can be a Human with medical dwarfism? Drop your size to small and speed to 20. Maybe your mum was a gnome?

I don't know of a RAW way to get favored class bonuses of a race, while being another race, except for Half-Orc/Elf counting as human.

Petrukio
2018-02-22, 02:17 AM
I REALLY want him to be small sized both for backstory and so I can ride the direbat, laughing maniacally as I fly away into the night.

Ask your DM if you can use the Young (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/simple-template-young-cr-1/) template? It'd make you small, though it would also reduce your Strength and Constitution by 4, increasing your Dexterity by the same. Since it's CR -1, you might even be able to convince your DM to let you create the character at a higher level to balance it out.

Florian
2018-02-22, 03:47 AM
Animal Companions and Familiars don't stack unless you have one of the very rare PrC that allows them to, which you don't seem to have.

Castilonium
2018-02-22, 07:26 AM
Undersized Mount (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/undersized-mount-combat/) lets medium races ride medium mounts.

Florian
2018-02-22, 08:43 AM
Tieflings are actually a good option. Blood of Fiends has a sidebar for small/large Tieflings, the feat Improved Fiendish Sorcery (on a Rakshasa Spawn) will add the Rakshasa and Shadow bloodlines to fiendish sorcery, one of the rare instance you can start the game with an actual more or less free +4 modifier to CHA.

CharonsHelper
2018-02-22, 09:51 AM
Why not just be a kitsune who stays in fox shape the majority of the time? Then you're smaller than small! You're tiny!

However - a gnome would also work great. Then you can use illusions as a back-up to enchantments. There are WAY too many things which are immune to enchantment to focus entirely on it (undead/constructs etc.) so you could have illusions as back-up while keeping the same vibe.

Only about half of illusions are mind-effecting - figments are AMAZING against mindless undead because they're too dumb to logic their way through anything and their will saves are terrible. HOWEVER - talk with your GM before you have the Image spells be a significant part of your repertoire as there is a LOT of table variation - which is why I eventually dropped my gnome illusion based sorcerer in PFS.

Psyren
2018-02-22, 11:26 AM
1) Even though it's an evil campaign, consider being TN rather than evil yourself - amoral rather than immoral. This will make it much harder for enemies to defend against your charm and compulsion spells.

2) Kitsune is one of the premier "mind-control-sorcerer" races due to their favored class bonus. The Nine-Tailed Heir archetype is powerful as well, granting you a suite of useful spells as SLAs (and thus requiring no components) plus a badass visual.

ShurikVch
2018-02-22, 12:57 PM
Dragon #317 have Gruwaar race - Small Fey, usually Chaotic and Evil, +2 Cha, LA +0, looks like a monkey with face like a mix of goblin and cat (have claws)

Also, ever-popular Unseelie Fey template... :smallwink:

Falontani
2018-02-22, 02:58 PM
You might be able to play as an imp? Natural invisibility is nice

I like Tibbit if we're doing a shapechanger

Petrukio
2018-02-22, 03:14 PM
Why not just be a kitsune who stays in fox shape the majority of the time? Then you're smaller than small! You're tiny!

Barring a certain alternate racial ability which may or may not be wanted or allowed, Kitsune in Pathfinder can't take Fox Shape (the feat) until third level.

ayvango
2018-02-22, 03:20 PM
but I REALLY want him to be small sized
Venerable DWK?

CharonsHelper
2018-02-22, 03:43 PM
Barring a certain alternate racial ability which may or may not be wanted or allowed, Kitsune in Pathfinder can't take Fox Shape (the feat) until third level.

True... but from the OP -

...Since we are starting at level 3...

Petrukio
2018-02-22, 04:02 PM
True... but from the OP -

Yes, but he also said that he was taking Craft Wondrous, which requires a 3rd level caster, so has to be his third level feat.

CharonsHelper
2018-02-22, 04:12 PM
Yes, but he also said that he was taking Craft Wondrous, which requires a 3rd level caster, so has to be his third level feat.

I believe that Pathfinder retraining would allow both.