PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Trying to convert the Ursinal to 5e - experienced people help please?

Mordna
2018-02-21, 10:40 AM
So the Ursinal is a very interesting (and cute) type of guardinal. They are ususally scholars and philosophers and would make a great advisor/guide/connection to the god for the players in my campaign. Guardinals were a thing in Second Edition and they are breifly mentioned in 4E.

I have modified, created plenty of creatures using 5E templates, but have no idea how to go about it with stats only from 2E. Can someone please help? Maybe someone familiar with these earlier editions? I don't want to just wing it, I care about balancing and fairness. Thank you!

Here are some stats copy-pasted. I don't even know what some of the things mean... :confused:

And I am using this source: http://www.lomion.de/cmm/guarursi.php (http://http://www.lomion.de/cmm/guarursi.php)

URSINAL

Large Outsider (Extraplanar, Good, Guardinal)

Hit Dice: 10d8+30 (75 hp)

Initiative: +2

Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)

Armor Class: 24 (–1 size, +2 Dex, +13 natural), touch 11, flatfooted 22

Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+18

Attack: Claw +13 melee (1d8+4)

Full Attack: 2 claws +13 melee (1d8+4) and bite +8 melee (1d8+2)

Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.

Special Attacks: Improved grab, spells, spell-like abilities

Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/evil or silver, immunity to electricity and petrification, resistance to acid 10 and cold 10, spell resistance 22, tongues, uncanny dodge

Saves: Fort +10 (+14 against poison), Ref +9, Will +10

Abilities: Str 19, Dex 14, Con 17, Int 18, Wis 17, Cha 18

Skills: Concentration +16, Diplomacy +19, Heal +16, Intimidate +17, Knowledge (arcana) +17, Knowledge (the planes) +17, Listen +16, Profession (any one) +16, Search +17, Sense Motive +16, Spellcraft +19, Spot +16, Survival +3 (+5 on other planes)

Feats: Combat Casting, Purify

Spell, Spell Focus (Enchantment), Spell Penetration

Environment: Blessed Fields of Elysium

Organization: Solitary or pair

Challenge Rating: 10

Treasure: No coins; double goods; standard items

Alignment: Always neutral good

Advancement: 11–15 HD (Large); 16–30 HD (Huge)

Level Adjustment: +8

Unoriginal
2018-02-21, 10:55 AM
The first step is to start from scratches rather than take the stats and modify them for 5e.

Now, just to be clear, you want them to be NPCs, right? Not a playable race?

I'll post more about it when I'm home, but in the meantime I advise you to read PhoenixPhyre's excellent guide about monster mechanics.

Mordna
2018-02-21, 10:56 AM
The first step is to start from scratches rather than take the stats and modify them for 5e.

Now, just to be clear, you want them to be NPCs, right? Not a playable race?

I'll post more about it when I'm home, but in the meantime I advise you to read PhoenixPhyre's excellent guide about monster mechanics.

Yes, NPC.

And I'll get reading. :) Thanks.
Umm... where do I find that?

Edit: FOUND IT!

Wryte
2018-02-21, 12:24 PM
I missed the "s" in the title and was very confused for a moment...

GlenSmash!
2018-02-21, 12:27 PM
I missed the "s" in the title and was very confused for a moment...

Ha!

I've now decided that next game my Barbarian is converting a foe into a urinal. It might demoralize the rest of my enemies.

Unoriginal
2018-02-21, 12:54 PM
So, let's start with the basics.

The 2e Ursinal has a CR of 10. While CR doesn't mean the same thing in both editions, we can assume it's a decent power level.

There is a Celestial of the same CR, the Deva, so let's check it.

The Deva has 136 HPs (from 16 HD), AC 17, +8 to hit, deal an average of 25 damages, and has a proficiency bonus of + 4.

We can keep the resistances and immunities. Since the Ursinal is still a large bear, we should still give it a large bear's attack, so a Multiattack with a 1d8+STR mod Bite and a 2d6+STR mod Claws. If we have the STR of the Ursinal be the same as the Brown Bear (19), then we should have an average of 20 dmg per round.

It's a bit lower than the Deva, but nothting critical. Let's give the Ursinal the same attack bonus, so +8. It'll place their Offensive Channel Rating at 6.

Now, while bears are strong, they're also tough. AC 17 and HPs 136 is perfectly reasonable, given their resistances+immunities, but let's give them a tad more.

Now, given its stats in 2e and compared to the 5e Deva, they should be fairly high in 5e too.

So, so far we have:

Ursinal

Large Celestial

AC 17

HP 152 (16d10+64)

STR 19 (+4)

DEX 12

CON 18 (+4)

INT 20

WIS 17

CHA 20

Saving Throws Con +8, Cha +9

Skills Religion +9, Arcana +9, Persuasion +9, Insight +7, Perception +7, proficiency in healer's kit, herbalist's kit and alchemist's supplies.

Damage Resistances: radiant, bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons

Condition Immunities: charmed, exhaustion, frightened

Senses: darkvision 120 ft, passive Perception 17.

Languages: all, telepathy 120 ft.

Angelic Weapons: The Ursinal's weapon attacks are magical.

Keen Smell: The Ursinal has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell.

Magic Resistance: The Ursinal has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Actions

Multiattack: The Ursinal makes two attacks: one with its bite and one with its claws.

Bite: Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d8 + 4) piercing damage.

Claws: Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) slashing damage.

It should give you a good basis to continue. Unless you want more help.

Mordna
2018-02-22, 03:49 AM
It should give you a good basis to continue. Unless you want more help.

That's amazing, thank you!
I never expected anyone to just do it. If you like, I can show you what I end up with in the end.

Many thanks.