PDA

View Full Version : metroid prime 3

tannish2
2007-08-28, 02:26 AM
so... coming out tomorrow (technically today) whos getting it (or gotten it?) and does it live up to the first metroid prime/super metroid standard, or does it suck terribly? what do you love, hate, or get slightly annoyed at about it?

and if it turns out it sucks past out worst nightmares, we can just organize the "lynch nintendo executives fund" thread, figure out what type of torches to use and if theres some cool tradition there instead of pitchforks. also finding out who will be going, who can translate for us (and where nintendo HQ is) or perhaps some sort of time travel solution (just start smashing insects and checking until we get it right)

Neragith
2007-08-28, 02:57 AM
NOOOOOOOO i haven't got my Wii yet i can't come out!
ahh well when i get my Wii maybe the game will be cheaper.
Back on the topic the game looks great and I want it bad!

Triaxx
2007-08-28, 05:21 AM
I can't wait my Wii is sitting, just waiting for something to play after I finished RE4.

Hey, if you're looking for a Wii, I found mine on a friday morning at Wal-Mart, and so did another friend who I let in on the tip.

Icewalker
2007-08-28, 01:58 PM
I'm getting it in the next hour or so, already reserved a copy, gonna go get it soon.

tannish2
2007-08-28, 05:20 PM
well... i still cant be completely sure... but they took out one of the things that made metroid cool, there are NPCs now... WTF... NPCS DO NOT BELONG IN METROID gone through the first fight with a classic boss... all i can say is that if i dont get to fight it again in a happy way (not a cheesey LOTR scene ripoff... IIIINNNNNNN SSSSSSSSSSPPPPAAACCCEEEEE) then i will be pissed havent gotten any extra beams yet (not the real ones anyway), but they kept a form of the cheesey ammo system from echoes... :( the controlls take a minute of getting used to, but only a minute, and then they tend to work fairly well.... you start off with too many upgrades, i hope they added some more in (maybe the screw attack back for the first time in 3D? please?) its a bit easy, but then, im not playing it on hard mode and the graphics... are just graphics they pulled a little of the same crap they did in hunters with the humanoid bosses to get their beams(just a prediction, but i think its likely to be pretty accurate) oh well, its still at least moderatly fun, hopefully it gets better later

Demon Messiah
2007-08-28, 05:44 PM
I got it today. The controls are AMAZING once you get used to them. (remember to put it on 'advanced' sensitivity folks!) The NPCs talking makes it feel like you're in the middle of a war, and the other three hunters are cool rivals, especially the Ice Buddy. The two boss fights I've been through were fun, although the first was too easy, but it is the first boss. I just got the PED suit (the one that lets you use your 'hyper mode') and it's feelin' pretty nice. Deffinite buy if you've got a Wii.

Now let the two month wait for Galaxy begin...

Triaxx
2007-08-28, 05:57 PM
I. HATE. WAL-MART.

They didn't even have a slot for where it should have been, and been sold out. I'm not a happy gamer.

Perhaps I can go to Best Buy over the weekend.

tannish2
2007-08-28, 06:16 PM
yes. wal mart sucks, but their evil, so... meh

the backrounds are actually pretty good, but... it looks like metroid prime 1 just wont be beaten... and cmon lets try to keep it spoiler free!

oh and best buy people are bitches as well, i suggest a game store like gamestop or something.

or target.. thats where i seem to finally get all my nintendo systems, but, if you cant find a wii, just dont get one yet, order it online or just wait until theres more than 1 good game for it.

Demon Messiah
2007-08-28, 06:43 PM
Woops...sorry. Although I thought Hyper Mode was comon knowledge.

I reserved mine at Gamestop, so my purchase went down fine. I'm not far enough to make any real statements, but it seems much better than Prime 2, and at least on par with Prime 1. I just hope there's some cool equipment...it'll be hard to top the Prime's last suit in looks.

P.S. - how do you put something in the green spoiler box? Just put spoiler and /spoiler around it?

And I'm fairly certain the LotR style boss is recurring.

Icewalker
2007-08-28, 06:51 PM
Alriiiight!

Been playing a bit now. The controls take a while to get used to but once you do they are awesome.

Spoilers are "[ spoiler] spoilered material [ /spoiler] but without the spaces.

Yeah, the other hunters are awesome.

I'm already stuck :smallfrown:

If anybody knows how to get past here...help

First other planet you go to, Bryyon or something (purpose of planet)the one where you are looking for rendas, the ice hunter dude first you do this puzzle with dragon head buttons and morph ball, move around a bit, find the area you are supposed to go to (with the (?) ) but there is a pit with what appears to be a yellow diamond grapplish kind of thing, which you can't use yet, so you can't go in. You keep exploring, enter one area, fight a bunch of hunter things with laser whips and cloaking devices on top of a deactive old robot. After that, there is a lore thing nearby in that area.

Problem is, once you are in that one area, you can't get back out again...there are only 2 areas you can be in

The big area has three doors: the one you came in through, one ice door (can't open yet...or get to) and one door which leads to the other area.

The second area just has the one you came through and a second one, on the other side of a pit you need the yellow diamond grappler thingy to use.

What do I dooo!

I'm going to go back and beat my head against the game for another half hour or so, then check back...

Demon Messiah
2007-08-28, 06:59 PM
Well somewhere there should be a big chasm with some red vines on the right and a diamond thingy you can't use yet, right? Well, somewhere in that area, on your left if you're facing the chasm I think, there's a small rock you blow up about the size of your morphball. Turn into your morphball mode and go into it. Keep going untill you pop up on the other side of the chasm in front of a statue, which you blow up by grappling it and then shooting it. You then get the
grapple swing
which you can use on the diamonds for Tarzan style fun.

I might be talking about a room a few in front of you though...not sure.

Icewalker
2007-08-28, 07:06 PM
Nope thats it. Just came back to mention I finally found it :smallbiggrin:

Thanks though. I'm guessing you are going to stay ahead of me, and as there aren't guides yet, I plan to come back here for more help next time I'm stuck. This happens to me a lot in the Metroid Prime games.

Demon Messiah
2007-08-28, 07:09 PM
Well I may or may not stay ahead of you... I have school, and since I'm moving to my basement like any self-respectable gaming/reading/drawing/guitar nerd, I have alot of work to do.

But then again, I slack alot.

The game's looking excellent so far. I just want a new beam! And you get ALOT since they stack.

Demon Messiah
2007-08-28, 08:42 PM
And then plot struck.

I was just forced to kill my favorite rival hunter! Rundas... you will be avenged! Damn you Dark Samus! Daaaaaamn youuuuuu!!!!!

Darth Mario
2007-08-29, 12:09 AM
Got the game this afternoon, and got past the first two bosses.

I've gotta say, I'm really impressed with the thing, I'm liking it better than Zelda!

Azuroth
2007-08-29, 09:14 AM
Loving the game thus far, although I just landed on Bryyon.

Question for other people with the game, how do the friend credits work? I know if you go into the wiiconnect settings, it lets you send out metroid info to others on your list, anyone out there have someone on your list with metroid?

Mad Wizard
2007-08-29, 02:09 PM
I've been playing it for a while, and have gotten to the boss of Bryyon, and need some help. I'm talking about the war golem. I destroyed all four red orbs, what do I do now?

Ryshan Ynrith
2007-08-29, 04:33 PM
Use Hyper mode and target the shoulder to your left. Blow it open, then go to morph ball mode and bomb its feet. Repeat. Don't let it grab the red balls. Pretty much all there is to it.

Hope that helps.

tannish2
2007-08-29, 05:08 PM
whatever you do PLAY IT ON VETERAN MODE, i played it on easy and i never went below 1 energy tank even being careless through the fight with the ice guy, and that includes jumping in the acid... fuel gel... w/e they want to call it i really hope they dont make it a hoke like they did hunters, and if your going for 100% scan it gets kinda boring... and you dont get to enjoy the cool graphics as much

Mad Wizard
2007-08-29, 08:02 PM
Use Hyper mode and target the shoulder to your left. Blow it open, then go to morph ball mode and bomb its feet. Repeat. Don't let it grab the red balls. Pretty much all there is to it.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. invisible extra text

tannish2
2007-08-29, 08:27 PM
so this is now a metroid prime 3 help thread? damn... i guess i had better start playing it faster. (screw 100% scan! it gets boring anyway)

Mysticaloctopus
2007-08-30, 08:00 AM
Aha, I got it working! Master of Orion on DOSbox, glee!

I've got quite the collection of SNES stuff as well, the console itself gets regular use, not just ROMs, and I've got a connector to use the pad on my computer. Beat Front Mission: Gun Hazard a while back, currently replaying Earthbound - first time I played it, I missed several dungeons and got to near the end without the soundstones complete. Whoops...

Anyone who enjoys retro platforming and a challenge, go and play Plok for SNES. Yes, you play as a cute little red-and-yellow thing that throws its limbs, yes he's out trying to get back his favourite flag which was stolen by fleas, yes the points/currency are seashells and yes, it is very, very hard.

Dihan
2007-08-30, 11:33 AM
Two more months left until it comes out over here :smallsigh:

tannish2
2007-08-30, 12:46 PM
well on veteran mode i actually managed to die, so it doesnt suck, im just hoping i can get a new beam someday... getting ice missiles before the ice beam!? BLASPHEMY! starting out with half the items? :(

Mad Wizard
2007-08-30, 02:40 PM
well on veteran mode i actually managed to die, so it doesnt suck, im just hoping i can get a new beam someday... getting ice missiles before the ice beam!? BLASPHEMY! starting out with half the items? :(

Don't read this if you don't want to know about the game. (not the plot, but the items you get.)
I don't think there is an ice beam. From what I've seen, it seems there is a plasma beam, but the ice missiles are the only ice based weapon you get.

Azuroth
2007-08-30, 03:34 PM

Did you read the instructions? The complete lack of "Beam Select Button" ought to tell you something. :smallwink:

I do like that you don't start out by losing EVERYTHING again, that's always the most annoying part of any Metroid game.

Oh, and Does anyone else think that the organic supercomputers look like another famous brain-in-a-jar?

tannish2
2007-08-30, 03:59 PM
Did you read the instructions? The complete lack of "Beam Select Button" ought to tell you something. :smallwink:

I do like that you don't start out by losing EVERYTHING again, that's always the most annoying part of any Metroid game.

Oh, and Does anyone else think that the organic supercomputers look like another famous brain-in-a-jar?

yes, and super metroid didnt have a beam select button either, but it managed to have 5? 6? different beams. (4 of which could be used simultaneously)

edit: ive gotta say, the boss fights are good, they even make up for the hours of shooting the same space pirate before it dies

TheLogman
2007-08-31, 11:15 PM
An awesome game, my only complaint is that sometimes commands based on motion, (Ripping off a shield or armor, twisting an energy core, turning a dial, that kind of thing)

I just got to the second Levithian seed, and getting there was awesome, for the first seed, I had to destroy anti-air guns, then generators, and kill tons of pirates, but for the second seed, my informant, (A giant brain/cyborg) told me to just build a giant nuclear bomb and detonate it over the seed. Of course, it wasn't a question of "Is something going to go wrong?", as much as "What will go wrong?". You see, the bomb had to be detonated manually, as in I had to be on it to start the explosion sequence. Space Pirates attacked, (I went into hyper and melted them all) and then, the escape pod I was supposed to use broke down. I had 5 minutes to fix it, (It only took me 3) before the bomb exploded, destroying a huge shield in one huge 1000 megaton blast, accomplishable only by extremely violent Chozo tech. IT WAS AWESOME!

So ya, all in all, an amazing game so far, everything I had hoped for and more, with some of the best writing and explosions you could want.

Icewalker
2007-08-31, 11:20 PM
Yeah, I've found that I died once. I forget why even.

Been playing for a while now. The plot twist at the beginning makes me angry Damnit! Rundas was freaking AWESOME! And Ghor was pretty cool too...:smallfrown: Worst of all, you appear to be killing them in the order of coolest to least cool. Rundas, Ghor, whats-her-face.

But I've made pretty good progress. Downed the boss on Elysia, got the plasma beam (which, interestingly enough, just adds a fiery element to your main beam, instead of being a new beam) and now I'm somewhat stuck on how to get the pod out of the building to pick up the other bomb parts. I'm guessing it is something off of the cruiser, which I'm guessing is crawling with space pirates.

I look forward to playing more. This looks like a game I may actually beat, unlike MP1 and 2.

But that's Metroid tradition! I don't think there's a single game where that didn't happen! :smallyuk:
I'm outraged! ...kinda

TheLogman
2007-08-31, 11:33 PM
Meh, I was kinda annoyed at loosing my stuff for little or no reason all the time anyway, at least this way the developers can make power-ups you haven't already gotten, allowing for more game and less "NOOOOO I have to go get the Varia Suit AGAIN!" By the way, the system concerning friend vouchers is cool if you have a buddy with the game, since you get the tokens for stuff just like X-Box achievements, which you then send to your friend, who then can buy stuff like a Bobble-head to sit on the dashboard of your ship, decals from other games saved on your Wii stuck right on to the ship, and a Screen-Shot taker that allows your to capture those precious moments.

Oh, and ya, go to the Space Pirate place, you get the multi-missiles, which allows you to unlock the Nuclear bomb pieces. The scene where you detonate that bomb is just amazing, especially since you are ON the bomb when it is dropped. By the way, your first/second encounter (Depending on weather or not you went to that downed ship) with Metroids is coming up, and this time, they can PHASE THROUGH TIME AND SPACE!

PlatinumJester
2007-09-01, 07:46 AM
I've never really liked the Metroid games as great as they probably are to most other people. But morph ball is the bomb.

Still who cares when ToS 2 is coming out next year :smallbiggrin:

tannish2
2007-09-01, 02:34 PM
well, the metroid hatcher boss.... shoot at the tentacles, not at the head like it suggests when you scan it, tentacles, head, grab lots of the fights get pretty damn boring when EVERYTHING goes into hyper mode and takes ****ing hours to kill, it is NOT a good thing! I DONT WANT MY MOOKS GOING INTO SUPER 1337 UNKILLABLE MODE SO I EITHER HAVE TO BLOW 100 ENERGY OR SIT THERE PICKING AT THEM FROM BEHIND A CORNER FOR 5 ****ING HOURS, im supposed to either walk through the room either taking 2 damage from them, or killing them with a full charge as i walk through, or a missile and a full charge, or a morph ball bomb... NOT 100 ENERGY or FIVE HOURS.

TheLogman
2007-09-01, 10:00 PM
Ya, the Hyper modes of the various monsters are exceptionally annoying, but it has only happened maybe 15-20 times to me, so its just a simple combat difficulty right now, but by the end of the game, it will probably be nearly unbearable.

Icewalker
2007-09-01, 11:24 PM
I DONT WANT MY MOOKS GOING INTO SUPER 1337 UNKILLABLE MODE SO I EITHER HAVE TO BLOW 100 ENERGY OR SIT THERE PICKING AT THEM FROM BEHIND A CORNER FOR 5 ****ING HOURS, im supposed to either walk through the room either taking 2 damage from them, or killing them with a full charge as i walk through, or a missile and a full charge, or a morph ball bomb... NOT 100 ENERGY or FIVE HOURS.

Never play Devil May Cry 3 on DMD difficulty. Your description pretty much sums it up, without the hyper mode yourself option...

Does anybody else think that SkyTown should be in a Kingdom Hearts game? It's got the kind of animated overly ornamental while staying slightly silly-looking theme going...also, the music kind of fits, and the name is SkyTown. Even the capitalization is pointing towards it. You travel around by sliding along rails on the grapple beam, you roll up into a ball and get shot out of cannons...it's all got that slightly surreal feeling that KH does. Just kind of seems to fit...

Gotten a lot further, gotten to the third major planet now (after Bryyo and Elysia):The space pirate homeworld. Looking pretty hard. Also, those phasing metroids SUCK! GRRR! There is a trooper calling you saying he has information, and I am immediately taking the guess that it is Gandreyda. Got the X-ray visor, and from the looks of some scans, there is a new beam coming up. One from a previous metroid game: goes through walls.

If you haven't been scanning all the lore in SkyTown and you want the whole story: There is a phazon planet. It is made of phazon, and alive. From the looks of it, it is trying to make the space pirate homeworld into one also. It is throwing pieces of itself (the leviathans) at other planets. I'm guessing you fight it :smallbiggrin:

So, does anybody know what the 'ship missile expansions' are for? Doesn't seem...useful...at all...hmm

TheLogman
2007-09-02, 10:34 AM
The Ship Missile Expansions are more for fun than for combat, just go into ship visor in an open area with open sky and enemies, and hold Z to do a Bombing Run. The more Ship Expansions you have, the more Bombing Runs you can do. I ran a couple because they are fun, but altogether, just a little extra weapon.

As for the Pirate Homeworld, Its kind of obvious that its the Shapechanger, and although the fight was enjoyable, I was hoping she would turn into stuff I had not yet seen, stuff that you would only see there, but alas, just enemies from before. The Weapon on that planet is like the wave beam, but instead it is sent through the grapple, allowing for hours of Puzzle-solving and tasering fun.

I'm just about to go get what I assume is the Spider Ball, but first I am intent on testing out this new weapon.

tannish2
2007-09-02, 04:34 PM
well... late game things get a bit boring on the higher levels on any difficulty other than super easy... at least the boss fights are fun

Icewalker
2007-09-03, 04:10 AM
As for the Pirate Homeworld, [spoiler] The Weapon on that planet is like the wave beam, but instead it is sent through the grapple, allowing for hours of Puzzle-solving and tasering fun.

Actually, that's not it. There is that grapple power surge thing, but then you get the "nova beam", which is the wave beam. Shots go through phazite walls. Fun weapon!

Gotten quite a bit further now took down the pirate homeworld seed. Not Dark Samus/final boss. Apparently Dark Samus has her own little group of elite soldiers on some other place really far away (Assumably Phaaze, the phazon planet) and you have to commandeer a leviathan to get there.

TheLogman
2007-09-03, 08:57 AM
I beat it, but I missed 2% of pickups, and a good amount of pirates/pirate lore. Ah well, I started over on Veteran, and it kept all my scans, I just have to scan what I haven't already.

What kind of bonuses did you guys get? I got a Lore for saving the guys in the beginning, Bowling for Bots, Ice Repticicle, all 1000 kills, and 20 Commander Kills. Also, if you do the game in the very beginning, you get a Boss Credit for 10 juggles.

I rate the game a 9.7/10, it was amazing, it was great, but the controls were just a tiny bit jerky, the bonuses needed to be better, and I realllllllly wanted a Multiplayer.

Ranis
2007-09-03, 09:38 AM
and I realllllllly wanted a Multiplayer.

Multiplayer? You seem to be mistaking this for a game company that isn't Nintendo.

Icewalker
2007-09-03, 03:16 PM
Hey, Metroid Prime 2 had a really good vs.

I may have just thought that because I would just keep beating my friends in it though.

Sotextli
2007-09-03, 03:47 PM
Has anyone else
Gotten the stylish kill in SkyTown? The part where you run across the bridge as it starts to fall, and if you just skip the enemies they fall to their death, and you get a friend voucher (I think). It was pretty cool, and I was proud of myself for being so clever:smallbiggrin: Are there any others like it that I should keep my eyes out for?

TheLogman
2007-09-03, 05:26 PM
My buddy got that Voucher, but I missed it.

For more bonuses, look beneath the tag, but BE WARNED, some of these are near the end/reveal important plot points.

-Ice Repticicle: Use Ice Missiles in a way that completely freezes the tele-porting reptile enemy of the Fuel Gel planet.
-Every 100 kills up to 1000 earns one
-Saving the dying marine just before the air-lock catastrophe with the ship, you know the one, before the Energy Cell fight earns you a Lore Credit
-Getting a high score of 10 on the little minigame at the start earns a Boss Credit
-"Bowling for Bots" Use the Boost ball to knock down a Platoon of Bots in the circle Junction area
-20 Commando Kills- Accomplishable only by prolonging the fight for the Nova beam.
-Going back to old areas in the quest for the Energy cells nets you fights with "Red Phazzites", which drop yellow credits
-The Areas that give you the screw attack, and I believe the Seeker Launcher give you Vouchers for going inside
-When in the Valhalla, just before getting the Pirate Code, there is a code-entry screen, and a pad. If you enter the code on the pad into the screen, you hear the final message of the Unit that was stationed on the Valhalla, which nets you a Voucher.

Icewalker
2007-09-04, 12:30 AM
Very nice and handy list, although actually the marine one at the beginning? I think you can get that in multiple rooms.

I need some help with power cells. I cannot manage to find powercells 3, 4, and I think 8. One on Bryyo in a "hidden fuel gel pump", one on Norion, and one on Elysia, I forget what those say but I'll be back here tomorrow to see.

Triaxx
2007-09-04, 07:21 AM
Yeah, if you kill the pirates shooting at the marines in the room before the broken bulkhead you can 'save' those as well.

tannish2
2007-09-04, 04:06 PM
also i think i got one for grappling down flying pirates. idk which type they were though and didnt manage to do it again was called crash landing or down to earth or something

Keldoth Dekel
2007-09-04, 11:50 PM
I preordered it, so I have it now. The problem is, I got stuck pretty early on.

Umm.... I just realized I am unaware of how the spoiler command works, so I will figure that out before describing it.

Anyway, the controls work very well for me, and there is only a slight problem if I don't face directly facing the TV set. I really haven't played enough to decied whether I like it or not.

I would just look it up, but I can't find a coherent guide and I would figure it out on my own, but around the time I got it, my Oblivion addiction resurfaced.

Mysticaloctopus
2007-09-05, 12:27 AM
I preordered it, so I have it now. The problem is, I got stuck pretty early on.

Umm.... I just realized I am unaware of how the spoiler command works, so I will figure that out before describing it.

Anyway, the controls work very well for me, and there is only a slight problem if I don't face directly facing the TV set. I really haven't played enough to decied whether I like it or not.

I would just look it up, but I can't find a coherent guide and I would figure it out on my own, but around the time I got it, my Oblivion addiction resurfaced.

[ spoiler ] put things in hehe [ /spoiler ]

without spaces inside the square brackets

Icewalker
2007-09-05, 12:32 AM
Just finished tonight. AWESOME

The last planet (Phaaze) is freaking awesome! The health refit is a cool idea, the final boss is great (albeit easy) and the overall ease with which it is winnable encourages replaying on uberhard difficulty!

tannish2
2007-09-05, 02:21 AM
idk i think it gets boring, even if i have the energy to do so i just cant bring myself to go into hyper mode against basic pirates unless its one of those infinite wave things... even against the commandos i dont find it an easy thing to make myself do...

Keldoth Dekel
2007-09-05, 06:45 PM
Thanks Mysticaloctopus ^^

I found my self on the first planet... Brryon or something. I found my way ok till one area with a large chasm and ways around it, and a device I cannot use yet. The problem is, this is the only way I found to go. There's some security system in the middle using the morph ball, but I cannot figure out how to actually get in there.

There are various high areas near it, but from them it is to far even to double jump. When I next try it, I will bring the name of the area back here

Sotextli
2007-09-05, 07:07 PM
Thanks Mysticaloctopus ^^

I found my self on the first planet... Brryon or something. I found my way ok till one area with a large chasm and ways around it, and a device I cannot use yet. The problem is, this is the only way I found to go. There's some security system in the middle using the morph ball, but I cannot figure out how to actually get in there.

There are various high areas near it, but from them it is to far even to double jump. When I next try it, I will bring the name of the area back here

If it's the area I think it is,
There should be a rock that you can blow up in Morph Ball form. Just look on the left side of the area, and notice anything that looks like you'll be able to destroy it.

Hope that helps.

Keldoth Dekel
2007-09-05, 10:08 PM
Thanks, I'll try that.

Triaxx
2007-09-06, 06:11 AM
The rock is right at the bottom of the stone steps you came in on. The little lift aliens are the best way up, though you can bomb jump this one.

Keldoth Dekel
2007-09-06, 07:40 PM
Never mind, I got it.

Triaxx
2007-09-06, 08:45 PM
Congrats.

I just finished it about an hour ago. Fantastic ending. Final section was fun as well, though the last fight... hard to describe.

Vidan
2007-09-06, 09:25 PM
love the game!!! They finnaly didnt start out the game by making you lose all your stuff which was a huge bonus for me (how many times has she lost her stuff now?). Im at the point where i need to get more of those stupid energy cells to get the info about the titans which sucks becuse i cant find them.:smallfrown:

tannish2
2007-09-06, 09:30 PM
just beat the game.... dissapointing, the boss fights were fun, voice acting was a useless addition, i wouldve been happier without it, the last scene planet explosion WITHOUT YOU HAVING TO ESCAPE!? WTF!?!?!?!? at least they did a decent job of explaining HOW your character escaped (i just fell asleep during that part, tell me its not there and my denial shall be ruined, ofrcing me to set you on fire with my mind) and the last boss being a giant cyborg head in a jar, without the jar? dark samus, ridley, super space pirates? none of them made good bosses? they needed to take a head in a jar and make it the last boss? and "OH YAY! all those energy tanks i spent time collecting? USELESS NOW" that was a fun suprise, and really, there were parts of the game that were actually boring, and i just turned the machine off and sat there for a few minutes to recover funness at least the boss fights were fun

knightsaline
2007-09-06, 09:54 PM
WTF... NPCS DO NOT BELONG IN METROID

actually this is not the first time there has been NPCs in a metroid game. Fusion had Adam and the mysterious man (shinespark easter egg)and echoes had the luminoth. if you want to extend the NPC thing, the Galactic federation ship that crashed on Aether had a lot of NPCs. The Hunters were not NPCs as such, as you could play as them in multiplayer. stretching the NPC thing again is the blue suited bounty hunter from Super. He doesn't have an official name, but an NoA comic called him Armstrong Huston.

tannish2
2007-09-06, 11:47 PM
played super metroid last week and i dont remember a blue suited hunter... a story device doesnt count, the NPC never actually appears in fusion if i remember. the H word for the DS does not count, and everyone knows how wonderful metroid prime 2 was....

Icewalker
2007-09-07, 12:48 AM
"OH YAY! all those energy tanks i spent time collecting? USELESS NOW"[/spoiler]

Actually, I don't think so. Did you notice that the yellow hypermode bar wasn't as big as the normal ones? It had a cut-off. I believe more energy tanks = larger bar, and full = the entire bar.

Trooper170
2007-09-13, 12:21 PM
well, the metroid hatcher boss.... shoot at the tentacles, not at the head like it suggests when you scan it, tentacles, head, grab lots of the fights get pretty damn boring when EVERYTHING goes into hyper mode and takes ****ing hours to kill, it is NOT a good thing! I DONT WANT MY MOOKS GOING INTO SUPER 1337 UNKILLABLE MODE SO I EITHER HAVE TO BLOW 100 ENERGY OR SIT THERE PICKING AT THEM FROM BEHIND A CORNER FOR 5 ****ING HOURS, im supposed to either walk through the room either taking 2 damage from them, or killing them with a full charge as i walk through, or a missile and a full charge, or a morph ball bomb... NOT 100 ENERGY or FIVE HOURS.

btw you know you can turn hyper mode back off again if you don't let it go into overload. it will just subtract whatever phazon you used from your lifebar, but not all 100 energy if you didn't use it all =P just fyi^^

tannish2
2007-09-13, 02:15 PM
ya but its still annoying as hell. its like castlevania: POR, it has replay value, but the normal mode wasnt good enough for me to care.

Mad Wizard
2007-09-26, 01:34 PM
By the way, is anyone interested in swapping Wii codes and trading friend vouchers? I need to get me a bobblehead, and none of my friends have the game.

Ganon11
2007-09-26, 04:39 PM
WOW! I'm mad I didn't find this thread earlier.

I got this game the day it came out (I think?). Last copy WAL-MART had in stock; I was fairly happy :). I promptly beat it in like 4 days. Time flies when you're a college student, I suppose.

I personally think it was a fun game, but it did not live up to the standards set by MP1.

I definitely liked having different beams I could switch between in MP1 and MP2 - having a multipurpose beam just doesn't give me the same sense of strategy in beating guys.

There's also a definite trend of beating the same type of enemy over...and over...and over again. Challenges are created by increasing the number of enemies, not creating new enemies. A perfect example is the continual upgrades to Space Pirate armor.

I also didn't like the fact that there was only 1 type of metroid in the game - and one that dodged my missiles every time, dammit!

The controls were definitely amazing. Wii, FTW.

I'd love to swap friend codes and trade my 20+ Friend Vouchers with people, but unfortunately my Wii cannot connect to our wireless network due to security on the wireless router. I might be able to hardwire it once I get a USB adapter, or I might have to move the entire system closer to a room where someone has set up their own wireless router.

F*** DARK SAMUS.

tannish2
2007-09-26, 06:28 PM
ya, and the beating on the same enemy for an hour until it dies because you didnt want to enter hypermode was fun. the game had a lot of weak points, but the controlls were ****ing amazing. i hope they re-use it in something funner.

Destro_Yersul
2007-09-29, 08:01 PM
There's also a definite trend of beating the same type of enemy over...and over...and over again. Challenges are created by increasing the number of enemies, not creating new enemies. A perfect example is the continual upgrades to Space Pirate armor.

I also didn't like the fact that there was only 1 type of metroid in the game - and one that dodged my missiles every time, dammit!

You have to wait until they charge at you if you don't want them to dodge. Personally I just used the X-ray visor to hit their weak point. One shot with nova beam takes them down

I liked it. I'm playing it again, because I was unable to collect every power up the first time through. But them I'm weird like that.

Must.. *twitch* collect every item... *twitch twitch* in the game...

Triaxx
2007-09-29, 08:36 PM
Hope you were a master bomb jumper.

Gralamin
2007-09-29, 09:46 PM
I really enjoy the game, and I just got to the pirate homeworld. I spent time collecting every powerup I could. At the time of beating the first boss on that planet, I have received 68 powerups.
The Skytown Observatory is the best thing ever.

Ganon11
2007-09-29, 09:47 PM
I really enjoy the game, and I just got to the pirate homeworld. I spent time collecting every powerup I could. At the time of beating the first boss on that planet, I have received 68 powerups.
The Skytown Observatory is the best thing ever.

There's an observatory!?

Gralamin
2007-09-29, 10:00 PM
There's an observatory!?

Yes, there is. Shortly after you get your ships grappling hook (Or before you get it, you may need to backtrack from there), you will come across a room with what appears to be a grappling hook on the floor, as well as a probe sitting somewhere. Scanning it will indicate that needs to be attached to something. Call your ship to pick it up, and solve that little puzzle.

When you do, you should notice little holographic planets on the left and right on the top level. Find the maintainence tunnel, roll up there, and go into each slot and activate it with a bomb. Doing so will probe the planet. Before the magnetic rail ones, you can get complete maps of Norion and Bryyo, with little white dots indicating pickups you don't have, and little white Xs indicating the ones you have gotten. You also get a plain map of skytown.

The magnetic Rail ones expand this, showing all skytown upgrades, and some other things.

Ganon11
2007-09-29, 10:12 PM
Yes, there is. Shortly after you get your ships grappling hook (Or before you get it, you may need to backtrack from there), you will come across a room with what appears to be a grappling hook on the floor, as well as a probe sitting somewhere. Scanning it will indicate that needs to be attached to something. Call your ship to pick it up, and solve that little puzzle.

When you do, you should notice little holographic planets on the left and right on the top level. Find the maintainence tunnel, roll up there, and go into each slot and activate it with a bomb. Doing so will probe the planet. Before the magnetic rail ones, you can get complete maps of Norion and Bryyo, with little white dots indicating pickups you don't have, and little white Xs indicating the ones you have gotten. You also get a plain map of skytown.

The magnetic Rail ones expand this, showing all skytown upgrades, and some other things.

Interesting. I found that room, but I don't think I ever got to the holographic planets.

Time for a second run through on veteran!

Destro_Yersul
2007-09-29, 11:35 PM
Hope you were a master bomb jumper.

I missed 3. I don't even know where they where, due to not being marked anywhere.

Jothki
2007-09-30, 01:46 AM

Four. The baby ones, the Hatchers, and the hopping ones that you probably thought were Phazon Hoppers.

Triaxx
2007-09-30, 06:13 AM
I missed 3. I don't even know where they where, due to not being marked anywhere.

Did you pick up the magnetic rail puzzle in Bryyo's Hall of Golems?

There's another behind the fountain with the giant head.

Did you have all the Energy Tanks?

Mad Wizard
2007-09-30, 09:24 AM
I also missed 3, none of which are marked on my map (as far as I can tell), but I have a theory as to where they are: I think that one or two of them is on the GFS Valhalla, and one or two are in the ice area of Bryyo, whose map you can't look at unless you are actually there.

Triaxx
2007-09-30, 01:02 PM
Yeah the three on the Valhalla were easy to miss. And certain sections of the ice thing were tricky. The E-tank couldn't be acquired until after you got the Spider ball, and the thing on the statues head was hard to miss even with a guide.

My worst two were in the Hall of Golems, and outside the Ballista Storage.

Destro_Yersul
2007-10-02, 02:26 AM
Did you pick up the magnetic rail puzzle in Bryyo's Hall of Golems?

There's another behind the fountain with the giant head.

Did you have all the Energy Tanks?

Yes, Yes, No

I actually found them the second time through. I missed the energy tank in Bryyo Ice, The ship Missile upgrade in Bryyo ice and the energy tank on the Skytown comm sattelite.

CockroachTeaParty
2007-10-04, 08:17 PM
Just beat the game today, first time through, with 100% pick ups. I didn't get 100% scans, but I only missed a tiny handful. Heaven forbid I mistake one kind of space pirate for a kind I'd already scanned...

At any rate, I really enjoyed the game, although a few things cheesed me off:
Why do you have to fight Metroid Hatchers three times? It wasn't very much fun the first time, and every subsequent time I found to be just a chore.
Also, the ziplines in SkyTown were fun, until you got hit by something right before it ended. Sure, it only drops you down a few health, but then you have to go through the entire on-rails sequence again. I was not a fan of the ziplines.

Overall, it's hard to say which Metroid Prime game I like the most. I really enjoyed being able to fly around in the ship, and I liked playing alongside NPCs and the Federation troops. It made the world of Metroid feel a lot less isolated, which can be fun, but it was nice change of pace to have everything feel more dynamic.

Overall, I still think the first Metroid Prime game is the best, simply because it made such an incredible first impression, and very little has changed since the original came out. But I found the use of the Wii remote to be fun, not simply gimmicky, and at times it really made me feel as if I was Samus herself.

Really, all three of them are simply fantastic games. Few games have created such an immersive atmosphere, and they are simply gorgeous to behold. Well done.

Ganon11
2007-10-04, 09:27 PM
Really, all three of them are simply fantastic games. Few games have created such an immersive atmosphere, and they are simply gorgeous to behold. Well done.

Hear, hear! I also don't know which one was my favorite, but all three of them were incredibly well done and very enjoyable.

Triaxx
2007-10-05, 08:50 AM
Destroy:
The missile expansion was in a weird spot there.

I almost missed the sattellite because I couldn't figure out how to get there. I spent half an hour trying to spin attack to it.:smallbiggrin:

CTP:
There's actually a trick. If you wait until after you pick up the nova beam you can use it and the X-Ray visor to one shot all three of them. :smallfurious: