PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Good "Medium-Length" Modules

GreatDane
2018-02-21, 01:22 PM
Are there any solid "medium-length" modules out there for 3.5 (or Pathfinder; I can always convert)? Most pre-made content I find is short (a single dungeon, etc.) or very long (adventure paths). I'm looking for something more like Red Hand of Doom: detailed, but only five or ten levels long.

Palanan
2018-02-21, 01:45 PM
You might like City of the Spider Queen, which starts the PCs at 10th level and takes them into the upper teens. Of course you don’t need to take them that far if it doesn’t fit with your story, but there should be plenty of elements you can use.

It’s squarely 3.0, but if converting isn’t a major issue for you, then it might be worth a look.

Mike Miller
2018-02-21, 05:24 PM
The "Expeditions to..." are medium length, as I recall. I believe Maure Castle is medium length too. That was in dungeon mag

ksbsnowowl
2018-02-28, 04:00 AM
The "Expeditions to..." are medium length, as I recall.

Yep, Expedition to Castle Ravenloft and Expedition to the Demonweb Pits are both "medium length," and are both quite good modules, too (I've run both).

Expedition to Castle Greyhawk would also fit the definition, but that one seems less... I don't know. I've skimmed through it, but never run it. Maybe it just doesn't fit my style, but it just seemed very oddly strung together.

Also, the Eberron series of published modules are (largely) all tied together, plot-wise, and cover a fair level range (1-7).
The first level is the 1-level mini-module at the back of the Eberron Campaign Setting (The Forgotten Forge). Then Shadows of the Last War covers levels 2 and 3. Whispers of the Vampire's Blade (levels 4 and 5) is unconnected to the plot of the other three adventures, but is a GREAT module (it is the one that totally sold me on playing/running Eberron). Then Grasp of the Emerald Claw returns to the plot of the schemas from TFF and SotLW, taking the PC's through levels 6 and 7.

I also think Eyes of the Lich Queen runs levels 5-9. It has the PC's galavanting all over the world of Eberron, IIRC.

There's also the three modules that were released right at the end of 3.5's run... Barrow of the Forgotten King (for level 2), The Sinister Spire (for level... 4 or 5, I forget which), and The Fortress of the Yuan-ti (for level 7), giving you a complete adventuring span of about 7 levels (2~8). There is a stand-alone 1st level module that came out around the same time (The Howling Horde) that is just one level long, and would be a decent place to start the PC's at 1st level, if you wanted to run levels 1-8.

Lastly, The Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde runs levels 1-6. Just a note, the PDF of it for download at DriveThruRPG has compression issues, and it takes FOR-EV-ER for new pages to render (at least on my tablet). I even re-compressed it, and it still has tons of issues. But, it seems like a great, sandbox-y mini campaign.

Thurbane
2018-02-28, 09:03 PM
`Expedition to Castle Greyhawk would also fit the definition, but that one seems less... I don't know. I've skimmed through it, but never run it. Maybe it just doesn't fit my style, but it just seemed very oddly strung together.

I really like Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk. It had a very old-school dungeon crawl feel to it.

Fizban
2018-03-01, 02:21 AM
Most long campaign modules are made up of chapters that could be run in smaller chunks.

Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave, Shaodwdale: The Scouring of the Land, and Anauroch: The Empire of Shade are a series of modules that string together in the same way. I've played part of and evaluated the rest of Shadodale, it's okay if you can ignore the problems- poor intro/plot hooking/goal setting in the beginning, an army 1/10 the size of RHoD's supposedly challenging PCs that start at 8th, and the usual over-reliance on classed NPCs. The former two are easily fixed, the latter less so.

The first few chapters of War of the Burning Sky are pretty solid aside from the part where they basically tell the DM to make up side jobs in Seaquen themselves- they made a deliberate choice to leave that part up to the DM and focus on fluffing out more city and NPCs, but most people seem to agree it was the wrong one. You could run 1-2, 3-4, or 4-6 as shorter 4 level ish adventures (chapter 5 is mostly setup for later stuff so you'd want to skip it), but you'd still need a level's worth of filler for chapter 3.

The World's Largest Dungeon, for all that it's built as one megadungeon, seems aghast at the idea you'd run it in anything other than smaller chunks. It's pretty impenetrable and has some really dumb mechanics in places, but a region or two might be considered a "medium" campaign and dumb arbitrary mechanics are a tradition.