PDA

View Full Version : Stormwrack

DiscipleofBob
2007-08-28, 02:30 AM
I just got this book the other day, and I'm loving it. I already know I'm going to make my next character a Warmage/Stormcaster, and I love the naval combat and prestige classes. Can't say I'm too big on the emphasis on underwater combat, but I suppose it had to be done somewhere. I was just wondering about the general opinion of the book and its content, and whether anything was errata'd/could be improved upon, etc.

Sundog
2007-08-28, 07:32 AM
Got it awhile back myself, and was most impressed. In all honesty, I haven't yet found anything negative to comment on - everything works, and if some sections aren't brilliant, they're at least competent.

AtomicKitKat
2007-08-28, 09:13 AM
People seem to like it mainly for the Darfellan(Rare to find an LA 0 race with a bite attack. It's worded a little weird though, IIRC) and the Harpoon. Especially Fleshgrinding Throwing Harpoons of Returning...

DraPrime
2007-08-28, 09:22 AM
While I don't have stormwrack, my DM does. He did a great campaign were the party was a group of pirates. We had great fun.

crabpuff
2007-08-28, 09:24 AM
Be careful of the proper usage of the Ice Assasin spell, it can turn all kinds of broken.

puppyavenger
2007-08-28, 09:41 AM
Be careful of the proper usage of the Ice Assasin spell, it can turn all kinds of broken.

actualy the ice assasin is online to, so pun-pun doesn't need a supplement for god-hood.

Lord Tataraus
2007-08-28, 09:52 AM
Stormwrack is one of my favorite books and I even ran a campaign where the group had their own ship and everything and did a few smuggling jobs. They loved the ship to ship battles but then they quit because "I gave them too much booty from one abandoned castle" and that was boring to them. Even though they were the ones that insisted and spending almost the entire session on searching every nook and cranny for the smallest bit of gold so they looted the place clean then did what they were suposed to do and left burdened with tons of wealth. I was going to have pirates steal most of it from them but they didn't like the wealth, go figure. :smallconfused:

DiscipleofBob
2007-08-28, 12:14 PM
I was reading the Leviathan Hunter PrC and I got curious. I originally somehow missed the "Huge or bigger" requirement for the trophies, which was just awesome otherwise. But then I got to thinking, would you be able to get the trophy if before the creature is felled, you somehow cast an Enlarge on it or something?

Toliudar
2007-08-28, 12:22 PM
Well, I'd consider enlarging my opponent before death cheating, and not allow it if I were DM'ing, but it seems to follow the letter of the rules.

I'm hoping to find a use for Stormwrack also - perhaps as a focal point for the next campaign. It seems hard to integrate with other settings, though, since if your prestige class abilities all rely on being, say, in a boat on the ocean, you feel a bit of a dork in a standard dungeon. Anyone else have experience with this?

TheThan
2007-08-28, 02:19 PM
Stormwrack was the first splatbook I ever bought and its still one of my favorites.

It’s great if you want to add a little water to your game (like a dungeon in the swamp for instance). But the book really shines when it’s the focus of the campaign.

Rex Blunder
2007-08-28, 02:35 PM
would you be able to get the trophy if before the creature is felled, you somehow cast an Enlarge on it or something?

That's great.

Q: "What are you wearing around your neck?"
A: "A scale of the dreaded DIRE GOLDFISH! And across my chest I bear the flagellum of the legendary GIANT MICROPLANKTON!"
Q: "So you have a +2 competence bonus to AC and saves against microplankton?"
A: "Yes! And look at me posing next to this oversized trout that I caught!"
Q: "OK, that's not even you, that's a novelty postc--hey wait, what are you doing? Casting Enlarge on me?"
A: "Soon, the tongue of the dreaded Aqueous Interlocutor will be mine! Fell the Leviathan (Ex)!"