PDA

View Full Version : Antropomorphic animals only?

Braininthejar2
2018-02-21, 06:00 PM
Antropomorphic is meant specifically for animals. Is there any non-homebrew way to apply a similar effect to other creature types?

Anthrowhale
2018-02-21, 07:00 PM
Maybe Incarnate Construct?

The Viscount
2018-02-21, 07:04 PM
Entomanothrope uses vermin. Was there something particular you were looking for?

Kelb_Panthera
2018-02-21, 07:19 PM
If the DM is okay with eyeballing the LA, there's no reason you can't use anthropomorphic on non-animals.

Goaty14
2018-02-21, 07:35 PM
Level Adjustment and Oslecamo's Monster Classes (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?board=34.0) come to mind

Necroticplague
2018-02-21, 07:53 PM
Define ‘a similar effect”

Thurbane
2018-02-21, 08:58 PM
Green Ronin's Advanced Bestiary has the Bipedal Creature template, but it's not very player friendly - more a tool for DMs.

Braininthejar2
2018-02-22, 03:25 AM
don't need it for my character.

I have taken my first try in character creation contests and want to explore possible options for the future. that is why I was asking about non-homebrew.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-02-23, 12:19 AM
You could refluff the shapeshifting druid's forms as whatever you want them to be, so long as they fit the mechanics with no major fluff-to-crunch translation issues. (A big plus for this is zero LA.) Heck, the same could be said for regular anthropomorphic animals. No anthro-raccoons because there's no entry for a raccoon? Use anthro-monkey and call it a raccoon. (I used a Dragonwrought kobold for my Maximillian. He was a Heinz 57 crossbreed, what with all of the dozens of critters in his family tree; he just happened to look like a tanuki with scales under his fur and a few other draconic features.)

If you want type changes, how about refluffing as above, then adding a second template onto the anthro-creature to turn it into whatever type you want? Or one of the feats and/or spells that change your type? Lots of things you can do via body-swaps, PAO, and the fusion/astral seed power combo, too.

Thurbane
2018-02-23, 12:58 AM
don't need it for my character.

I have taken my first try in character creation contests and want to explore possible options for the future. that is why I was asking about non-homebrew.

In terms of forum competitions, then no, I don't believe there any RAW way to apply Anthropomorphic or anything similar to creatures other than animals.

The closest would probably be Tauric or Symbiotic, but neither of those are a particularly close match...

Braininthejar2
2018-02-23, 05:18 AM
eh. :smallsigh:

No Solution Epsilon for me then.

At least until I find an ooze with both shapeshifting and engulf. They all seem to have one or the other.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-02-23, 10:24 AM
eh. :smallsigh:

No Solution Epsilon for me then.

At least until I find an ooze with both shapeshifting and engulf. They all seem to have one or the other.Awakened gelatinous cube with psion levels and the metamorphosis power? Or maybe an oozy Convert Spell-to-Power erudite with alter self?

unseenmage
2018-02-24, 02:09 AM
There ARE a bunch of cool templates that leave the Animal type intact but give the creature various superpowers.

In my sig there's a link to Random Animals and Templates (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?372681-How-do-template-stacked-Animals-compare-to-more-common-corpses-for-necromancy). You should find every template that doesnt change an animal's type there.

Half Machine from Dragon Magazine is especially interesting.

Necroticplague
2018-02-24, 05:34 PM
There ARE a bunch of cool templates that leave the Animal type intact but give the creature various superpowers.

In my sig there's a link to Random Animals and Templates (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?372681-How-do-template-stacked-Animals-compare-to-more-common-corpses-for-necromancy). You should find every template that doesnt change an animal's type there.

Half Machine from Dragon Magazine is especially interesting.

Oh hey, sweet, I was looking for a list like that for when I build Lycanthropes. Though it appears to be missing the one I've always thought of for that category: lolth-touched. You do mention the lolth-touched spider, but not the template alone.

daremetoidareyo
2018-02-24, 08:50 PM
If you can get child of winter feat from one of the eberron books, you can treat Vermin as animals. It has to be a racial bonus feat though. The only way I can think of doing it is to have a feat that will only work with the abilities of the Vermin type, and go Dragonborn before first level, but that's still a bit hinky because you need that feet in order to treat vermin as animals. Although, according to a player's handbook race comes first, then class levels

unseenmage
2018-02-25, 03:06 AM
Oh hey, sweet, I was looking for a list like that for when I build Lycanthropes. Though it appears to be missing the one I've always thought of for that category: lolth-touched. You do mention the lolth-touched spider, but not the template alone.

Source please?

If you can get child of winter feat from one of the eberron books, you can treat Vermin as animals. It has to be a racial bonus feat though. The only way I can think of doing it is to have a feat that will only work with the abilities of the Vermin type, and go Dragonborn before first level, but that's still a bit hinky because you need that feet in order to treat vermin as animals. Although, according to a player's handbook race comes first, then class levels

Arms and Equipment Guide has a sidebar for putting feats in magic items. 10,000gp plus 5,000gp per prerequisite IIRC.

DEMON
2018-02-25, 06:12 AM
Source please?

Monster Manual 4.

unseenmage
2018-02-25, 08:35 AM
Monster Manual 4.

Thank you. Will add it.

Braininthejar2
2018-03-28, 07:27 PM
Awakened gelatinous cube with psion levels and the metamorphosis power? Or maybe an oozy Convert Spell-to-Power erudite with alter self?

First - how to awaken an ooze? Normal Awaken spell only works on animals and plants. and "awaken ooze" is dragon magazine.

Second - how to awaken an ooze to intelligence sufficient for level 4 psionic powers without any handwaves that would penalize a contest build?

Alter self would not work - it would allow an ooze to look like a different ooze, and that's not the point.

Braininthejar2
2018-03-29, 04:20 AM
Does anyone have anything?

Menzath
2018-03-29, 09:57 AM
I see you never mentioned the gelatinous creature template from savage species, or that not so good ooze master class from, was it masters of the wild?(3.0)

Maybe make it a half golem so awaken construct would work on it.
Or at that point incarnate construct might work.

Braininthejar2
2018-03-30, 03:48 PM
I see you never mentioned the gelatinous creature template from savage species, or that not so good ooze master class from, was it masters of the wild?(3.0)

Maybe make it a half golem so awaken construct would work on it.
Or at that point incarnate construct might work.

I don't think either will cut it, and indeed I'm now pretty convinced that what I'm aiming for cannot be done.

I was shooting for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D801GK8LsYA

Menzath
2018-03-30, 04:27 PM
I think you could manage that with a spellwarped gelatinous cube with levels of thrall of juiblex.

A gelatinous spellwarped templetated human might also work, have less monsterous HD that way. No natural engulf attack, maybe get that from another template somewhere.

Braininthejar2
2018-03-30, 04:35 PM
I think you could manage that with a spellwarped gelatinous cube with levels of thrall of juiblex.

A gelatinous spellwarped templetated human might also work, have less monsterous HD that way. No natural engulf attack, maybe get that from another template somewhere.

As far as I know, spellwarped can't be applied to ooze

Menzath
2018-03-30, 05:02 PM
Your right spellwarped won't work. I'll have to take a longer look after work.

Braininthejar2
2018-03-30, 05:40 PM
The closest I could find was a phasm using his natural transformation ability to become a gelatinous cube (provided it counts as large - sources vary)

Menzath
2018-04-02, 12:22 PM
Sorry was a terrible weekend, but I found a thread elsewhere with some of what you need.

https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/111962/how-to-give-an-ooze-an-intelligence-score

Edit: found another one with so.e good stuff in it, even a little list of already intelligent oozes.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?487554-How-to-turn-a-gelatinous-cube-in-to-a-player-character