PDA

View Full Version : Index What subtypes make you vulnerable to things like Turning?

Jowgen
2018-02-21, 11:23 PM
Just curious, what are all the subtypes one can have that make one more vulnerable to special kinds of attacks?

Obviously we have the 4 main elemental subtypes, which you can turn via Domain granted abilities (part of the reason I tend to avoid them for energy immunity)?

The alignment subtypes makes you vulnerable to effects specific to those alignment regardless of what alignment one has; though I can't recall if those can be turned or some-such.

Dragon-blood subtype makes you vulnerable to anything that targets Dragons, of which there are many things (though no specific turning afaik).

So what else is there? Shapechanger? Extraplanar? Augmented???

Deophaun
2018-02-21, 11:30 PM
Dragon-blood subtype makes you vulnerable to anything that targets Dragons, of which there are many things (though no specific turning afaik).
There's the Rebuke Dragons ACF in Dragon Magic.

frogglesmash
2018-02-21, 11:30 PM
I'm pretty sure there's a way to get turning for plants. Deathless work like undead except turning is rebuking, and visa versa. Scion of tem-et-nu let's you turn hippos. That's all I can come up with off the top of my head.

Celestia
2018-02-21, 11:43 PM
I'm pretty sure there's a way to get turning for plants.
Yeah. It's called the plant domain. :smallwink:

@ OP: Extraplanar makes you vulnerable to banishment.

ATHATH
2018-02-22, 01:29 AM
There's a Paladi- er, I mean, "Holy Warrior" variant from a Dragon Magazine article that can Rebuke Outsiders, if that counts.

Jowgen
2018-02-22, 05:12 AM
@ OP: Extraplanar makes you vulnerable to banishment.

Oh yeah, forgot about that tying into the sub-type. Situational and not much, but good to keep in mind.

There's a Paladi- er, I mean, "Holy Warrior" variant from a Dragon Magazine article that can Rebuke Outsiders, if that counts.

Had a gander (issue 310) , and there are actually 2, the NG Sentinel who Turns outsiders and the TN Incarnate who rebukes, but can only do so on the material plane. Looking at the evil variants from 312, the CE Anti-Paladin also does this, turning good and rebuking evil outsiders (now what if they sub-type opposes their alignment...). LE Despot gets a weird, turning-based mindaffecting/sonic De-buff that affects all living things, while the NE Corruptor gets an even stranger turning-based ability to take away divine casting ability. Honestly, all the evil ones gets some waaaay too good stuff (e.g. Leadership).

I was originally looking just for sub-types specifically, rather than just Types; since Subtypes are something that can quickly stack up, but looking at regular types in detail now it seems like there is a turn/rebuke option for just about anything. I think at this point it would be easier to make a list of things you can't possibly turn/rebuke... and thus a build designed to turn/rebuke almost anything.

Matrota
2018-02-22, 06:00 AM
The feat Animal Control from Masters of the Wild allows you to rebuke animals.

Telonius
2018-02-22, 06:32 AM
I'd thought Constructs might be safe, but sure enough in Faiths of Eberron the Warforged domain lets you rebuke Constructs.

Repel Aberration (from Eberron Campaign setting) works on Aberrations.

Magical Beast maybe?

sleepyphoenixx
2018-02-22, 08:30 AM
Most things can be turned.
Aside from the elemental subtypes there's turning for oozes, lycanthropes, animals, plants, constructs, dragons, aberrations, outsiders and a bunch that are limited to subsets like spiders, reptilians and so on.
There's also a spell that lets clerics and paladins turn anything with an alignment subtype, Turn Anathema (CC).

Jowgen
2018-02-22, 09:14 AM
Most things can be turned.
Aside from the elemental subtypes there's turning for oozes, lycanthropes, animals, plants, constructs, dragons, aberrations, outsiders and a bunch that are limited to subsets like spiders, reptilians and so on.
There's also a spell that lets clerics and paladins turn anything with an alignment subtype, Turn Anathema (CC).

So we got... Magical Beasts, Fey, Giant, Vermin and Monstrous Humanoids without the specific sub-types, who do not have to worry about turning. Although Vermin do have a bunch of other relatively easily accessible hard counters around IIRC, and Fey are subject to Spirit Shaman and OA-spirit-affecting stuff.

So the safest thing to be is seemingly magical beast, Giant or Monstrous Humanoid. I can't of the top of my head recall any particular potent spells, items or abilities that specifically target those types.

For anyone else... I am starting to think it might be worth to invest in straight-up turning immunity. After all, with enough shenanigans a sufficiently powerful (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?501809-One-Turn-man-bone-talisman-turn-undead-optimization) turning can one-shot just about any creature IIRC, all Rebuking is Negative Energy based, so Soulfire should cover that. For turning... all I can think off is an item of Life Ward, which is naturally iffy.