View Full Version : Rules Q&A Can you use Glyph Seal offensively?

RoboEmperor
2018-02-21, 11:45 PM
Glyph of Warding:http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/glyphOfWarding.htm

Glyph Seal is in the MiC p.161. It is basically a reusable Glyph of Warding with a standard action setting time.

Item's caster level is 5 so I can make it cover 25square feet (1 tile).

So lets say a medium enemy is right in front of me.

Can I do this?

1. take out a Glyph Seal using a move action.
2. apply the glyph seal on the ground he's standing on as a standard action.
3. 5-foot step back.
4. if the medium enemy takes even a single step, he is passing through the warded area, therefore he triggers the glyph.

Alternatively I take a 5-foot step back and use the spell mage hand on the glyph seal to apply it on the land my opponent is standing on (though I guess this would take two standard actions)

Or how about
1. I apply the glyph seal on my gauntlets.
2. I land a melee touch on my enemy during combat.

If you can't, is there any other way you can think of to force the creature to trigger a glyph seal?

edit: Let's assume the ruling that you have to touch the glyph'd area to trigger it since the spell only lists an area and not a volume or height.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-02-21, 11:48 PM
One 5' x 5' space is 25 square feet. Five such tiles is 125 square feet.

The more you know! *Star!*

RoboEmperor
2018-02-21, 11:49 PM
One 5' x 5' space is 25 square feet. Five such tiles is 125 square feet.

The more you know! *Star!*

Goddamn it man, I saw that so I was editing that and then BOOM you post it while I edit it!

Now my mistake is set in cement. Damn you!!!

gogogome
2018-02-22, 12:21 AM
For your first method, you need to make yourself prone since you need to press the glyph seal on his surface, and pretty sure you'd get an AoO too.

I'd say if you use mage hand, it's only one standard action, since you are propelling the object into the ground.

I see nothing wrong with making your opponent trigger the glyph seal with a melee touch attack.