PDA

View Full Version : Can Higher level versions of a spell meet pre-reqs as lower level versions.

Yogibear41
2018-02-22, 02:53 AM
Say a character wants to enter a prestige class that requires the character be able to cast summon Monster 4. Said character cannot cast Summon Monster 4, but Can cast summon Monster 5 for whatever reason, can he qualify? Since Summon Monster 5 can be used to duplicate the effects of summon monster 4 (more or less).

Zombimode
2018-02-22, 03:00 AM
I'm not aware of any requirements looking for a specific version of Summon Monster, so this is probably not a good example, but in this hypothetical scenario, I would let it fly.

It really depends on the requirement and the substitute in question.

Do you have something specific in mind?

Yogibear41
2018-02-22, 03:04 AM
Fiendbinder from Tome of Magic requires Summon Monster 4, you can gain summon Monster 5 as a SLA from a feat, which according to complete arcana SLA Can be used to qualify for prestige classes.
Fiendbinder itself advances casting in general and is not arcane or divine specific so I could use it to advance say an Artificer.(or really any other class)

Poking around with a lot of weird/unique ideas for an up and coming cohort for my current in game character. Might end up splintering off into a solo campaign so trying to fill a lot of rolls with 1 cohort. :smallsmile: While also sticking to the RP restrictions that limit certain classes.

Khedrac
2018-02-22, 03:20 AM
The RAW is "no - since you cannot cast Summon Monster IV", however if I was DMing I would take a look at what the player was trying to do and unless I saw a significant problem I would say "Yes". I suspect most DMs would also say "Yes" RAW not withstanding.

Falontani
2018-02-22, 08:25 PM
you can gain summon Monster 5 as a SLA from a feat, which according to complete arcana SLA Can be used to qualify for prestige classes.

I would very much like to know where this feat is obtained for similar reasons

Thurbane
2018-02-22, 08:29 PM
Fiendish Legacy, Complete Mage. Part of the Fiendish Heritage feat chain.

Falontani
2018-02-22, 09:09 PM
So many feats... oh well; thank you Thurbane