PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Paladins? Rangers? Fighters have a thousand feats for a reason! :D

rferries
2018-02-22, 03:05 AM
Paladin [Fighter]
You are a force for justice in this dark world.

Prerequisites
BAB +1, lawful good alignment.

Benefits
Diplomacy, Heal, Knowledge (nobility and royalty), and Knowledge (religion) are always considered class skills for you (regain 1 skill point for each cross-class rank you have invested in those skills when you take this feat).

You gain two additional skill points each level, with quadruple skill points for your first level. These skill points are gained retroactively but may only be spent on Diplomacy, Heal, Knowledge (nobility and royalty), and Knowledge (religion).

You gain an aura of good, as a cleric.

Special
A fighter may select Paladin as one of his bonus fighter feats.

Divine Armour [Fighter]
Your faith is your shield, and wards your allies as well.

Prerequisites
BAB +9, Charisma 12, Paladin, lawful good alignment.

Benefits
Add your Charisma bonus to all your saves and as a sacred bonus to your Armour Class.

All allies within 30 feet of you add your Charisma bonus to their saves.

Special
A fighter may select Divine Armour as one of his bonus fighter feats.

Divine Force [Fighter]
Your faith works through you, to both heal and harm.

Prerequisites
BAB +6, Charisma 12, Paladin, lawful good alignment.

Benefits
Add your Charisma bonus to your attack and damage rolls against evil creatures.

A number of times per day equal to your Charisma modifier, you may "lay on hands" to heal an ally as a standard action. Each time you do so, make a Heal check - the ally heals hit points equal to your check result, is cured of any poisons or diseases with a DC less than your Heal check result, and heals hit points and ability damage as though they had rested for a night.

Special
A fighter may select Divine Force as one of his bonus fighter feats.

Ranger [Fighter]
You are a warrior of the wild.

Prerequisites
BAB +1.

Knowledge (dungeoneering), Knowledge (nature), Search, and Survival are always considered class skills for you (regain 1 skill point for each cross-class rank you have invested in those skills when you take this feat).

You gain two additional skill points each level, with quadruple skill points for your first level. These skill points are gained retroactively but may only be spent on Knowledge (dungeoneering), Knowledge (nature), Search, and Survival.

Special
A fighter may select Ranger as one of his bonus fighter feats.

Favoured Terrain [Fighter]
You have mastered a particular environment.

Prerequisites
BAB +1, Ranger.

Choose a terrain type. That terrain is considered a favoured environment (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?533378-Revised-Ranger) for you.

Special
You may select Favoured Terrain more than once, choosing a different terrain each time.

A fighter may select Favoured Terrain as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Master Hunter [Fighter]
You can pursue (and elude) any prey.

Prerequisites
BAB +3, Ranger.

Hide, Listen, Move Silently, and Spot are always considered class skills for you (regain 1 skill point for each cross-class rank you have invested in those skills when you take this feat).

You gain two additional skill points each level, with quadruple skill points for your first level. These skill points are gained retroactively but may only be spent on Hide, Listen, Move Silently, and Spot.

You may follow tracks as though you possessed the Track feat (if you possess that feat as well, gain a +5 bonus on Survival checks you make to follow tracks).

Special
A fighter may select Master Hunter as one of his bonus fighter feats.

Wild Allies [Fighter]
You are a friend to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field.

Prerequisites
BAB +3, Ranger.

You gain the Wild Empathy special quality. Your effective druid level is equal to your ranks in Handle Animal. You may attempt to influence elementals, fey, plants, and vermin in the same way that you would magical beasts.

You may rebuke and command animals, plants, and vermin as an evil cleric rebukes undead. Your effective cleric level is equal to your ranks in Handle Animal.

Special
A fighter may select Wild Allies as one of his bonus fighter feats.

rferries
2018-02-22, 03:07 AM
I had the idea of subsuming paladins and rangers into the fighter class, each as a series of feats. I tried not to do direct conversions (e.g. no "Divine Grace" feat that simply grants Divine Grace). The feat chains allow for low-magic "paladins" and "rangers" i.e. no spellcasting, though they still have some supernatural abilities. They can be subdivided into additional feats as they're probably too powerful or too accessible to spellcasting classes; fighters can afford to spend even more feats on them anyways haha. I think ideally paladins would be absorbed by clerics and rangers would be absorbed by druids (leaving just weapon styles and favoured enemies for fighters).

To-do: more paladin feats? (special mount, turn undead, etc.), more ranger feats (Trackless Step, animal companion, etc.)

nonsi
2018-02-22, 05:31 AM
I had the idea of subsuming paladins and rangers into the fighter class, each as a series of feats.

Good call. It never felt right to me that those archetypes should warrant specialized classes.

I tried not to do direct conversions (e.g. no "Divine Grace" feat that simply grants Divine Grace). The feat chains allow for low-magic "paladins" and "rangers" i.e. no spellcasting, though they still have some supernatural abilities. They can be subdivided into additional feats as they're probably too powerful or too accessible to spellcasting classes; fighters can afford to spend even more feats on them anyways haha.

This issue could be avoided by requiring Fighter levels, or at least certain weapon/armor proficiencies.

I think ideally paladins would be absorbed by clerics and rangers would be absorbed by druids (leaving just weapon styles and favoured enemies for fighters).

1. Templars were never attributed magical powers. Neither were forest rangers.
2. Nothing's to stop you from multiclassing though.

aimlessPolymath
2018-02-22, 02:09 PM
My take on a Favored Enemy feat:

Hunter:
Requirements: Knowledge (any) 4 ranks (1 in pathfinder), Ranger, BAB + 3
Benefits: By spending 8 hours in a library containing sufficiently detailed information (one which can answer DC 20 questions (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?398225-Book-Learnin-Extended-Knowledge-Rules-(PEACH)) on the subject), you gain the Favored Enemy ability, with a +2 bonus, against a type or subtype you choose.
Special: You can only have one bonus at a time through this ability. Acquiring another replaces the oldest benefit you have.

Somewhat related, one of my old projects: A feat to start to subsume Inquisitors into Rangers.

Tactician
Requirements: Favored Enemy (any) +2
Benefits: As a swift action, you may lose your Favored Enemy bonus to damage against any number of favored enemies, and exchange them for the following types of benefits:
-A bonus to attack rolls against the given class of creature. The bonus is equal to 1 + one-half your Favored Enemy bonus.
-A bonus to AC against attacks by the given class of creature. The bonus is equal to 1 + one-half your Favored Enemy bonus.
-A bonus to saving throws against the given class of creature. The bonus is equal to 1 + one-half your Favored Enemy bonus.
When you do, you can also alter or reverse any such decisions for other Favored Enemies you have.

On spellcasting... I'm reminded of those feats from Complete Arcane, the ones that give spell-like abilities.

rferries
2018-02-22, 08:06 PM
Good call. It never felt right to me that those archetypes should warrant specialized classes.

This issue could be avoided by requiring Fighter levels, or at least certain weapon/armor proficiencies.

1. Templars were never attributed magical powers. Neither were forest rangers.
2. Nothing's to stop you from multiclassing though.

100% agreement. I'm still planning on revising my old genetic wizard class to absorb clerics, druids, etc too. Ranger "magic" should be limited to a Beastmaster-type thing regarding multiple low-power animal allies.

My take on a Favored Enemy feat:

Hunter:
Requirements: Knowledge (any) 4 ranks (1 in pathfinder), Ranger, BAB + 3
Benefits: By spending 8 hours in a library containing sufficiently detailed information (one which can answer DC 20 questions (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?398225-Book-Learnin-Extended-Knowledge-Rules-(PEACH)) on the subject), you gain the Favored Enemy ability, with a +2 bonus, against a type or subtype you choose.
Special: You can only have one bonus at a time through this ability. Acquiring another replaces the oldest benefit you have.

Somewhat related, one of my old projects: A feat to start to subsume Inquisitors into Rangers.

Tactician
Requirements: Favored Enemy (any) +2
Benefits: As a swift action, you may lose your Favored Enemy bonus to damage against any number of favored enemies, and exchange them for the following types of benefits:
-A bonus to attack rolls against the given class of creature. The bonus is equal to 1 + one-half your Favored Enemy bonus.
-A bonus to AC against attacks by the given class of creature. The bonus is equal to 1 + one-half your Favored Enemy bonus.
-A bonus to saving throws against the given class of creature. The bonus is equal to 1 + one-half your Favored Enemy bonus.
As another swift action, you may reverse or alter any of these decisions, as well as.

On spellcasting... I'm reminded of those feats from Complete Arcane, the ones that give spell-like abilities.

I like all of this. My only bugbear is that favoured enemy doesn't make quite as much sense to me as favoured terrain - a ranger from the swamps shouldn't be able to fight subterranean llithids just because he knows how to beat spirit naga (both aberrations).

Instead I feel a ranger who trained/lived/hunted underground should know how to fight drow, duergar, illithids, etc. Exceptions might be made for creature types that generally are more "uniform" in their anatomy e.g. Dragons, Giants, etc.