PDA

View Full Version : TV OK K.O. - Let's Start the Show!

Chromascope3D
2018-02-22, 10:06 AM
http://womenwriteaboutcomics.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/ok-ko.jpg

OK K.O. Let's Be Heroes is a show that started airing on Cartoon Network in 2017 and it's my favorite show on the network, currently. It was created by Ian JQ of Steven Universe and Adventure Time fame. It occurred to me that there was no discussion for the show, which I was fine with earlier when it was still largely episodic, but now that there is a larger story hinted at (which, tbh, is expected in this day and age), I figured I might as well try to get the ball rolling.

There is a lot of silly, surreal humor, but also a lot of clever jokes and a bit of heart as well. It almost reminds me of classic Spongebob, if Spongebob was created by a guy who grew up on too much anime and fighting games. Not to mention that its art style and character designs can be gorgeous in their blocky simplicity at times.

If y'all have access to Cartoon Network you can watch all of the 40+ currently available episodes on the CN app or the website. Also, there is a game out for PS4 now, designed by Capybara Games, in the style of the sidescrolling beat-em-ups of yore, so you can also check that out if that's your thing. :smalltongue:

EDIT: Also the latest episode references Mystery Science Theater, so if that ain't enough to convince the people on this site then I dunno what is. :smallwink:

The Fury
2018-02-22, 05:03 PM
I like this show a lot too. Especially that Jim Cummings was cast as Lord Boxman. Appropriate, because Boxman does come off as something of a Robotnick/Dr. Wiley pastiche. Although he's doing a voice more similar to his Darkwing Duck than his Robotnick.

As for larger stories in cartoons... I don't know if it's really a strong trend anymore, Adventure Time, Steven Universe and similar shows took that idea and ran with it, but there's plenty of cartoons that stick with the episodic format. OK K.O. though... I get the impression that it's doing a parody of cartoons with a myth arc while sticking with a more episodic structure.

But hey, this is the internet. If anyone wants to jump in and prove why I'm wrong, go for it.

Chromascope3D
2018-02-23, 12:36 PM
I like this show a lot too. Especially that Jim Cummings was cast as Lord Boxman. Appropriate, because Boxman does come off as something of a Robotnick/Dr. Wiley pastiche. Although he's doing a voice more similar to his Darkwing Duck than his Robotnick.

As for larger stories in cartoons... I don't know if it's really a strong trend anymore, Adventure Time, Steven Universe and similar shows took that idea and ran with it, but there's plenty of cartoons that stick with the episodic format. OK K.O. though... I get the impression that it's doing a parody of cartoons with a myth arc while sticking with a more episodic structure.

But hey, this is the internet. If anyone wants to jump in and prove why I'm wrong, go for it.

Yeah, I mainly included that for people who'd read that and roll their eyes thinking, "Oh boy, yet another cartoon with an overarching story." I don't know any of those people specifically, but with the amount of time I spend on the cartoon side of Youtube, I know they exist. :P

Personally I think it strikes a good balance of being just present enough to feel as though you're getting invested in something, while also being just absent enough that you can watch a majority of the episodes and not miss out on anything. Of course, that could change. It wasn't until episode 52 of Steven Universe that the story came crashing in, and we're only on episode 45 here, after all. But while Season 1 of Steven Universe is largely a slog that people mainly watch so they can get to the good stuff later, Season 1 of OK K.O. is consistently enjoyable nearly the whole way through, with only 1 or 2 episodes I'd ever consider skipping altogether.

---

I also really like Boxman. He's a pretty great Saturday morning villain that you know is probably going to turn good later when some bigger threat is revealed, but for now it's fun to watch a character who's just evil and loving it, even if he's a better at building robots than he is at actually coming up with villainous plans for said robots.

The Fury
2018-02-24, 12:16 PM
Yeah, I mainly included that for people who'd read that and roll their eyes thinking, "Oh boy, yet another cartoon with an overarching story." I don't know any of those people specifically, but with the amount of time I spend on the cartoon side of Youtube, I know they exist. :P

Personally I think it strikes a good balance of being just present enough to feel as though you're getting invested in something, while also being just absent enough that you can watch a majority of the episodes and not miss out on anything. Of course, that could change. It wasn't until episode 52 of Steven Universe that the story came crashing in, and we're only on episode 45 here, after all. But while Season 1 of Steven Universe is largely a slog that people mainly watch so they can get to the good stuff later, Season 1 of OK K.O. is consistently enjoyable nearly the whole way through, with only 1 or 2 episodes I'd ever consider skipping altogether.

I guess there's the T.K.O. stuff, which does set up a fairly strong character arc. T.K.O.'s existence was pretty artfully foreshadowed as early as the episode where K.O. gets his own POW Card, which is glitchy and shows him as being Level 100. Then later in the episode where the gang plays the arcade machine which allows them to face their fears.

As it is, OK K.O. is still a difficult series to talk about in the context of a forum thread because the plot, at least as it exists right now, is pretty spare.

I also really like Boxman. He's a pretty great Saturday morning villain that you know is probably going to turn good later when some bigger threat is revealed, but for now it's fun to watch a character who's just evil and loving it, even if he's a better at building robots than he is at actually coming up with villainous plans for said robots.

I don't know if Boxman would ever turn good, though I can see him doing a sort of "enemy of my enemy" desperation alliance with the good guys.